Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1230 Likes Search this Thread
09-16-2020, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #526
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sindbad1 Quote
How could Ricoh make such a stupid decision?
I'm seeing the articulating screen on the K-New as redundant, adds weight and size, and adds cost.
I believe Ricoh made a smart move, and plans to deeply integrate smartphone use with the K-New.
Exactly how they do with the highly successful Ricoh Theta series 360 cameras (no screen at all, you use your phone).

Tethering your phone takes like two taps. Boom. You got Live View.
Don't want to place your phone on the ground? Buy a simple phone/hotshoe adapter. Boom. Articulating screen.

I don't know about you, but I always have my phone with me.
Once you recognize that ANY camera will have to compete with the camera in a smartphone, you begin to appreciate that an external camera needs to have deep integration with the smartphone in order to remain competitive.
Therefore, a built-in articulating screen on the camera would be seen as redundant.

Brilliant!

And especially for a statement piece that the K-New is going to be. They are highly emphasizing viewfinder photography. They are not joining the mirrorless mainstream mania.
It would almost seem counter to their statement piece to highlight Live View shooting through a rear LCD...

It's unlikely Ricoh will never release a camera with an articulating screen in the future.. it's likely they are just emphasizing their statement as much as possible with this camera.

09-16-2020, 10:51 AM - 7 Likes   #527
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Product Stories of New APS-C Vol.3?Wakashiro? | PENTAX official

Quote: " ... ... " That’s why PENTAX decided to equip this new camera with a fixed-type 3.2-inch monitor. ..."

Incredible. This means that the camera is not easy to use near the ground or on the copy stand. How could Ricoh make such a stupid decision?
This has been discussed ad infinitum in other threads...
09-16-2020, 11:29 AM - 2 Likes   #528

This means that the camera is not easy to use near the ground or on the copy stand. How could Ricoh make such a stupid decision?
Since you're crossing the K-New off your list, are you going to stay with Pentax, or will you be switching brands? What bodies are you considering that don't have this fatal flaw?
09-16-2020, 11:32 AM - 2 Likes   #529
Pentaxian

Product Stories of New APS-C Vol.3?Wakashiro? | PENTAX official

Quote: " ... ... " That’s why PENTAX decided to equip this new camera with a fixed-type 3.2-inch monitor. ..."

Incredible. This means that the camera is not easy to use near the ground or on the copy stand. How could Ricoh make such a stupid decision?
This is not competition for the K-1.

This is not a "field camera".

How many times have you needed fast focusing to photograph a tree charging towards you?

How many times have you needed fast focusing to photograph an ant charging towards you?

09-16-2020, 11:46 AM - 2 Likes   #530
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This is not competition for the K-1.

This is not a "field camera".

How many times have you needed fast focusing to photograph a tree charging towards you?

How many times have you needed fast focusing to photograph an ant charging towards you?
Its the bear and moose I’m concerned about...

JJ
09-16-2020, 11:50 AM - 2 Likes   #531
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jswilson64 Quote
Since you're crossing the K-New off your list, are you going to stay with Pentax, or will you be switching brands? What bodies are you considering that don't have this fatal flaw?
I don't know. Maybe I'll keep my Pentax equipment, but will not invest in that system anymore. Instead I buy a body from Sony or Nikon and gradually acquire the optics for it.

I have already taken photos with various Sony Alpha 7s and found their performance very good. This also applies to the lenses.
If you know and use the advantages of a swiveling display, for example with the Pentax K-70, Ricoh's stubbornness for me is beyond comprehension.

---------- Post added 09-16-2020 at 12:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
... Tethering your phone takes like two taps. Boom. You got Live View. ...
Why should I be satisfied with such a solution? If Ricoh doesn't provide a swiveling viewfinder with a modern high-end camera, there are better models from other brands that save you fumbling with a smartphone.

I don't owe Ricoh anything, and if the Pentax brand still does not bring out a mirrorless camera and in addition to that does without a swiveling display on a new high-end camera, the company has not understood the current market and will lose customers. Too bad.
09-16-2020, 12:08 PM - 5 Likes   #532
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't owe Ricoh anything, and if the Pentax brand still does not bring out a mirrorless camera and in addition to that does without a swiveling display on a new high-end camera, the company has not understood the current market and will lose customers. Too bad.
While I can understand that the lack of a tilt screen doesn't make too much sense (or rather, it's a design compromise you don't agree with)... Yet another iteration on the Mirrorless Question™? Really?

You have lenses built for the K-Mount that would make little sense on a mirrorless camera, from a brand that takes its name from a device that requires a mirror. What exactly did you expect when you purchased such gear? There have been mirrorless offerings flying around for the last 8 years, there is actually more variety than there is for DSLRs.

Some of us don't want to get anywhere near a mirrorless camera and are willing to stick it out with a company that actually caters to our needs.

09-16-2020, 12:12 PM - 3 Likes   #533
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

and if the Pentax brand still does not bring out a mirrorless camera
Remove the PENTAprism viewfinder on a PENTAx flagship camera?
Seems like some have lost touch with Pentax, instead of Pentax losing touch with what they stand for.

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Some of us don't want to get anywhere near a mirrorless camera and are willing to stick it out with a company that actually caters to our needs.
Bingo.
09-16-2020, 12:39 PM - 2 Likes   #534
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
... What exactly did you expect when you purchased such gear? There have been mirrorless offerings flying around for the last 8 years, there is actually more variety than there is for DSLRs. ..
I bought my first Pentax in 1980. It was a Pentax ME. With the Pentax *ist DS came my first DSLR (in 2004 ?). I bought it because I had some Pentax lenses and also never completely stopped using film until today.
After *ist DS came the K10D as very good upgrade. I had the K20D (minor image quality), K7 (same minor image qualitiy) followed by the K-5. My first K-5 body had to be replaced because there were stains on the sensor. The image quality had improved drastically in comparison to it's two predecessors. Later I bought a Pentax K-3, which I liked. I started to miss a swiveling display with the Pentax K-3 II, which otherwise I like and still use. In addition I bought a Pentax K-70 which has a swiveling display and a slightly better image quality.

I always expected to get good cameras and lenses. But there have been some disappointments. For example my Pentax DA 4 / 300mm does not have a focus limiter and I had to deactivate the SDM because it is simply not reliable and takes too long to react.

For the 6 yeras I took photos with many cameras from other brands because, as a journalist, I write articles for German photo magazines
and therefore get a lot of new devices from Sony, Panasonic, Nikon and Canon for tests and some projects.

Therefore I know the advantages and disadvantages of different camera systems very well. It became increasingly clear that others were pulling away in terms of autofocus and optics.

I hoped Ricoh could catch up with a powerful, well-equipped camera. A camera without a swiveling display does not meet current requirements.

I won't go into your comments on the subject of mirrorless because I think they're nonsense throughout.
09-16-2020, 12:39 PM   #535
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Remove the PENTAprism viewfinder on a PENTAx flagship camera?
Seems like some have lost touch with Pentax, instead of Pentax losing touch with what they stand for.

Bingo.

Bingo fits well here.

Hang up and DRIVE!

---------- Post added 09-16-20 at 03:46 PM ----------

I won't go into your comments on the subject of mirrorless because I think they're nonsense throughout.
Well then your not a Pentax aficionado.
I personally have zero need for mirror less, reminds me of shooting with my phone.
Eye level VF was the only option on your mirrored ME, always worked well, with possible fast tight sport’s action and didn’t even think of autofocus.

I’m a cameraphile.... the Pentax looks, feels, and performs like a .... Traditional Camera!!

Hang up and DRIVE!
09-16-2020, 12:48 PM - 5 Likes   #536
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Therefore I know the advantages and disadvantages of different camera systems very well. It became increasingly clear that others were pulling away in terms of autofocus and optics.
If something was so clear to me, and I 'needed' that for my photojournalism, I would stop complaining and do something about it.
Pentax is being true to themselves and doing a great job honoring what they stand for.
If that doesn't suit you anymore, there are plenty of other brands to shoot.

It's like complaining Leica still makes rangefinders..........
09-16-2020, 12:57 PM - 2 Likes   #537
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I
I hoped Ricoh could catch up with a powerful, well-equipped camera. A camera without a swiveling display does not meet current requirements.

Whose requirement? I do not understand why you didn't buy a Leica rangefinder in 1980. They don't have a mirror......
09-16-2020, 01:07 PM   #538
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At the risk of pulverizing a deceased equine....

Pentax can do whatever they want. I don't think the tilt screen is the same as a prism or the Leica rangefinder. Nor is having to use a phone the same as something already integrated into the camera. Pentax has put the screens on other models. And other camera makers have put them on other DSLR cameras that are targeted at the same market/use. See Nikon D500. So IMO, kind of a strange decision by Pentax.

But I've certainly accepted that it won't have one. Either the rest of the new functionality is going to be enough to get me to upgrade from my KP, or it isn't. Guess we'll hopefully see pretty soon.
09-16-2020, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #539
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Its the bear and moose I’m concerned about...

JJ
You won’t need a tilty LCD to catch them {before you run}
09-16-2020, 01:09 PM - 2 Likes   #540
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find it fascinating that "some people really dislike EVFs" is "nonsense throughout".

---------- Post added 09-16-20 at 01:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote

But I've certainly accepted that it won't have one. Either the rest of the new functionality is going to be enough to get me to upgrade from my KP, or it isn't. Guess we'll hopefully see pretty soon.
Game set and match. It's what it is - if it's a big enough deal, don't buy it. We have (and I may or may not have contributed handsomely to a thread closure or two) extensively voiced our opinions on the matter of the fixed screen, for a year now. If it hasn't changed it's because it won't (duh ). I don't agree with Ricoh's decision but it's Ricoh's decision. Not mine. I just hope it's the right one.