Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1230 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2020, 12:55 PM   #916
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
In fact, it may be.
There are two things: the hardware and they might be better at that one.
The software and as for AF-C tracking, we all know there's a lot better.

They might (and might not) have licensed either one or both. We'll probably never know for sure but it is clear that if the Knew ends with the same number of AF points as a D500...
That might not still mean anything. I think that I’v said this before. They mentioned about need of completely redoing the AF, as it was dead end. That is what they have done.

And that is why they have come up with product stories 1-4 and not given any information of this very thing everyone is waiting for. And that new processing unit and ...

09-30-2020, 12:56 PM   #917

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
You cannot compare street price on older cameras with manufacturer suggested retail price of a brand new camera on the marked.....
Maybe *you* can't, but most people without an investment in one system or another will do exactly that. Someone looking specifically at a high end APSC DSLR will be asking:
  • Which one has faster AF?
  • Which one has the best burst performance?
  • Which has the best IQ?
  • How do they compare on price?

And heaven forbid they take "what kind of new 3rd party lenses are available" into account.

The only way to justify paying more for the Pentax is if it outperforms the current benchmarks. I have a hard time seeing that happen, since Pentax has yet to challenge Canon/Nikon on AF and burst performance in the APSC arena.
09-30-2020, 01:01 PM   #918
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jswilson64 Quote
Maybe *you* can't, but most people without an investment in one system or another will do exactly that. Someone looking specifically at a high end APSC DSLR will be asking:
  • Which one has faster AF?
  • Which one has the best burst performance?
  • Which has the best IQ?
  • How do they compare on price?

And heaven forbid they take "what kind of new 3rd party lenses are available" into account.
After I had two Canon Rebels in a row suffer from processor issues, I switched back to Pentax without doing any comparisons like this.
I got a K-30, and I must say that - even with Dark Image Syndrome - both Rebels went to the landfill, and my K-30 is still taking pictures {now using "green button" metering with aperture ring equipped lenses}.
09-30-2020, 01:09 PM   #919
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe *you* can't, but most people without an investment in one system or another will do exactly that. Someone looking specifically at a high end APSC DSLR will be asking: Which one has faster AF? Which one has the best burst performance? Which has the best IQ? How do they compare on price?And heaven forbid they take "what kind of new 3rd party lenses are available" into account.
I chose Pentax based on a search for cameras that used AA batteries. Because I had an investment in rechargeable AA's. Never thought to compare any of the features you mention. Not everyone has the knowledge to understand what to ask about. Many just ask friend/neighbor/relative.

And not challenging anyone on AF performance & burst is a non-starter for me as well. I'm just as likely to use manual focus as auto. And a big burst for me would 2 images.

In order to be successful this camera only has to do one thing: accept K-mount lenses. Pentax is not going to take anyone away from Canon/Nikon/Sony. And they are not going to waste effort even trying.

09-30-2020, 01:09 PM   #920
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Remember that Nikon is said to use an extra processor just to give them quick processing on the D5, D500, D500, D850, and D7500.
My KP works much better when I reduce its load to just 1 point, so I am sure that Pentax processing would also better if they changed processing and/or added a processor for that reason.
Every camera even Nikons and Canons work better with only one point selected. Multiple points selected doubles subject acquisition time for all brands. People talk about fast AF but it's all relative. Many are using multiple points in image that don't require them at the same time they accuse Pentax of being slow to focus. 95% of the time my Pentax is faster to lock focus than their multi-point focus acquisition, ending up with me getting the first image, and it doesn't seem to affect the composition of the image much. ingle point gives me absolute control over my framing. That one point I select is on the eye, and everything else is where I want it based on the point I selected to be the active focal point.

I fully expect all new hardware in this camera and the resultant speed increases and power that should be associated with that. An extra processor, that handles everything after exposure is absolutely essential to what they say they are trying to do. But who knows if they'll do it.
09-30-2020, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #921
Pentaxian

Maybe *you* can't, but most people without an investment in one system or another will do exactly that.
Nobody attempts to match street prices of old products with a new product's launch price. The only way to do that is to make an inferior (thus, cheaper) new product.

The K-new's launch price will eventually settle for a lower, street amount. There's a standard pattern here.
09-30-2020, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #922
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The only way to do that is to make an inferior (thus, cheaper) new product.
I was just mention this in another thread...
but Nvidia's recently released RTX 3080 beats out (performance-wise) their own previous flagship RTX 2080Ti.
And the RTX 3080 is released for about 2/3 the price of a 2080Ti.

Cheaper does not necessarily mean inferior.

09-30-2020, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #923
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nobody attempts to match street prices of old products with a new product's launch price. The only way to do that is to make an inferior (thus, cheaper) new product.

The K-new's launch price will eventually settle for a lower, street amount. There's a standard pattern here.
Of course, but there's an assumption that the camera will have correspondingly better performance.
The D780 got slammed because it was basically a rehashed D750 with better Live View AF at double the price.

That said, Pentax doesn't necessarily have to make the camera better than [name a brand], just substantially better than the K-3ii (which probably will be the case).

---------- Post added 09-30-20 at 01:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
but Nvidia's recently released RTX 3080 beats out (performance-wise) their own previous flagship RTX 2080Ti.

Correction: even the entry level RTX 3070 stomps the 2080Ti at one third of the price.

Then again, nVidia is already engaging in their usual artificial scarcity schemes so God knows what the actual street price is going to end up like.
09-30-2020, 01:29 PM - 2 Likes   #924
Pentaxian

The Ti will come later, mind you.
As for the Titan, sorry the 3090. Ouch it's the same but renamed otherwise AMD too close.
Oh and miserable launch with instabailities?

I wouldn't chose that very example IMO
09-30-2020, 01:33 PM   #925
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Ti will come later, mind you.
As for the Titan, sorry the 3090. Ouch it's the same but renamed otherwise AMD too close.

I wouldn't chose that very example IMO
I really hope that AMD gets something right with the new series... the last couple series were blergh. At least they are in the consoles, so that should be a good sign. It's incredible how they can simultaneously make amazing CPUs and yet manage to miss the mark with the GPUs.
Also, instabilities, what instabilities? That little detail where the web stores were set to jump from "Notify me when available for preorder" to "Sold out" because there were no intentions of allowing that to happen?

Back to the scheduled K-New: @Normhead I've found that Select 2 (so main point + 8 surrounding as "expanded area") works very well with AF.C, at least on the K-1/28-105 combo. My other lenses are screwdrive so they kinda choke while tracking
09-30-2020, 01:34 PM   #926
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Correction: even the entry level RTX 3070 stomps the 2080Ti at one third of the price.
Sure, yes!

Sure, yes!

---

I'm just sayin', it doesn't seem so bizarre to me that the K-New could outperform a 2016 Nikon D500, and for cheaper.
09-30-2020, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #927
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm just sayin', it doesn't seem so bizarre to me that the K-New could outperform a 2016 Nikon D500, and for cheaper.
To be fair it seems that the new architecture they are using involves an 8 nm fab line from Samsung that is substantially cheaper for whatever reason. I doubt Pentax gets access to magically cheaper sensors .
And that new beautiful OVF sounds like the kind of material that would land squarely in the "costly" category .

As I said earlier: 1500 bucks (plus tax) for a D7500-level AF module, with the rest of the goodies that we already know about, would be a win in my book.
09-30-2020, 01:46 PM   #928
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

To be fair
Fair enough
09-30-2020, 01:49 PM - 3 Likes   #929
Pentaxian

Of course, but there's an assumption that the camera will have correspondingly better performance.
The D780 got slammed because it was basically a rehashed D750 with better Live View AF at double the price.
"Performance" has many aspects, and it's far from the only area where the Pentax and the D500 would compete.
A $2000 Pentax APS-C DSLR might be close to, match and exceed the D500 in various "performance" aspects. A $1500 Pentax APS-C... I'm not sure.

The D780 was launched for the same price as the D750. I don't understand what some people are thinking... by that "logic", if the original camera was launched for 1,000 and got to 750 when the next model was launched - matching the 750 and itself getting to 500 when the next model was launched and so on, in time all the cameras would be free.
09-30-2020, 02:00 PM   #930
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Performance" has many aspects, and it's far from the only area where the Pentax and the D500 would compete.
A $2000 Pentax APS-C DSLR might be close to, match and exceed the D500 in various "performance" aspects. A $1500 Pentax APS-C... I'm not sure.

The D780 was launched for the same price as the D750. I don't understand what some people are thinking... by that "logic", if the original camera was launched for 1,000 and got to 750 when the next model was launched - matching the 750 and itself getting to 500 when the next model was launched and so on, in time all the cameras would be free.
I know! I've said several times that it's already better than the D500 in several metrics (and won't be "as good" in others - nor does it necessarily have to).

Re: the D780. The thing is that the camera was launched at the same price as the D750, but much later, being essentially the same camera and while the D750 was selling new for a good deal less. It's almost as if Nikon had simply raised the price of the D750 to double what it was selling for "because this batch is new and has a different label, lol", instead of actually putting in new stuff.

When Pentax released the K-7, it was a wholly new platform, coming from the K10D/K20D. When they launched the K-5, the sensor was leaps and bounds ahead. When they launched the K-3, they added much better AF, 1.5 higher FPS, Pixel Shift, GPS/Astrotracer in the ii version. The K-New brings at least a new OVF, AF joystick, third dial, almost certainly a touchscreen and, hopefully, massively improved AF.

Nikon more or less wrote an 8 over the 5 with a sharpie and slapped a grand on the price sticker for the effort*.

*Yes, I'm being hyperbolic. I still think there is no reason to buy a D780 if a new D750 is available, however...