Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2020, 08:52 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a shame. As a 50 year Pentax user I empathize with Oly users.

Olympus the parent company has been poorly managed for at least twenty years. At the end poorly manged companies have to sell pieces to preserve the core enterprise (which will probably be taken over in an LBO eventually).

06-24-2020, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Meh. Smartphone will never have acceptable ergonomics for anything other than a snapshot.
I want to agree with you for the sake of my cameras surviving the tsunami of phone cameras! On a trip to Maine, I brought my beloved K1 and a bunch of lenses. I took my time setting up my camera for the ultimate shots! Meanwhile my wife when around and snapped a bunch of pictures. I shot RAW so that I can produce the ultimate image later! My wife had her images posted to social media an hour later. And here is the kicker, when we got back home she liked her images over mine for some 11x14 prints for around the house... and I liked them better too! Go figure. I guess she is a better photographer than me or she has a better camera!!!
06-24-2020, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I want to agree with you for the sake of my cameras surviving the tsunami of phone cameras! On a trip to Maine, I brought my beloved K1 and a bunch of lenses. I took my time setting up my camera for the ultimate shots! Meanwhile my wife when around and snapped a bunch of pictures. I shot RAW so that I can produce the ultimate image later! My wife had her images posted to social media an hour later. And here is the kicker, when we got back home she liked her images over mine for some 11x14 prints for around the house... and I liked them better too! Go figure. I guess she is a better photographer than me or she has a better camera!!!
Well, "better" is a word that needs unpacking, and "liked" is only relevant to the liker....As far as phones go, they are now capable of making excellent images...in good light, not to be enlarged much. If the purpose is to share images on SM or email/txt them quickly, then a phone is possibly the best choice. In any sort of challenging conditions, phones suk. And as monochrome said above, the ergonomics are way past awful. Just yesterday I was cussing harshly because of my phone's ergonomics.
06-24-2020, 09:50 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Hmm... am I the only one who wouldn't be saddened if Olympus (or this NewCo) would exit the camera business, or become irrelevant?
They've made a wrong choice, and tried to compensate through marketing.

The users... well, I've heard too much "DSLRs are dead" to care.
On the funny side, a photographer currently promoting Olympus in Romania thinks that this will remove the last obstacle in front of Olympus' world domination, and at Olympus everyone is drinking champagne celebrating.

06-24-2020, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Hmm... am I the only one who wouldn't be saddened if Olympus (or this NewCo) would exit the camera business, or become irrelevant?
They've made a wrong choice, and tried to compensate through marketing.

The users... well, I've heard too much "DSLRs are dead" to care.
On the funny side, a photographer currently promoting Olympus in Romania thinks that this will remove the last obstacle in front of Olympus' world domination, and at Olympus everyone is drinking champagne celebrating.
I've seen claims that JIP didn't buy Olympus to make cameras, just for the patent portfolio.
06-24-2020, 09:58 AM   #36
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

not sure...

but Nokishita Camera just posted:

"Olympus' unpublished digital camera "IM021" is registered with the Russian certification body. It should be a mirrorless camera with multiple lens kits."

Twitter
06-24-2020, 10:14 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Hmm... am I the only one who wouldn't be saddened if Olympus (or this NewCo) would exit the camera business
Not entirely - it's perhaps a bit like when an old person dies - you've known it's coming for a long time, and when they pass it's more the person they used to be than the person as they are now that you mourn.I know that might sound heartless to some, but it's my experience.

Pentax, by comparison, is still vital and continues to play an important role, to many here, at least.

06-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thinking about it, I'm a little surprised DJI didn't pick up Oly to mash in with Hasselblad. Seems like they would compliment each other to a degree. Very hard to see the Vaio folks going far on their own. Maybe they're trying to work with whoever owns the Zenit name and IP (such that it is...)?
06-24-2020, 12:14 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
not sure...

but Nokishita Camera just posted:

"Olympus' unpublished digital camera "IM021" is registered with the Russian certification body. It should be a mirrorless camera with multiple lens kits."

Twitter
IM021 was first registered by the Chinese MIIT on the 16th of December, 2019 and hasn't been released until now, six months later. That's a very long time lag between registration and announcement (usually around a couple of months).
06-24-2020, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Thinking about it, I'm a little surprised DJI didn't pick up Oly to mash in with Hasselblad. Seems like they would compliment each other to a degree. Very hard to see the Vaio folks going far on their own. Maybe they're trying to work with whoever owns the Zenit name and IP (such that it is...)?
That would be KMZ, subsidiary of Shvabe Holding, itself a subsidiary of Rostec, the Russian state-owned conglomerate.

Rostec - Wikipedia

Good luck with those...
06-24-2020, 01:40 PM   #41
Forum Member

I am saddened, as a big fan of m43 there is the hope that someone buys them out to continue making cameras. At this stage in the game they need to drastically reduce the product line, they seem to do a new EPL every year with little to make one a better bet than two generations ago. That being said I have far preferred the Panasonic bodies and lenses, Oly did offer options and it would be good to see the legacy to carry on. Still even if the format stops being made I can keep using them and if need be collect a load of spare gear.
06-24-2020, 02:37 PM   #42

This isn't surprising, like Hoya parting off Pentax, the profitable bits were in the medical side, no one is really buying cameras anymore, and Oly was having a hard time standing out against Panasonic in bodies.

TBH, I have no idea what makes a new Oly body better than an older one lately, they all seemed so similar.
06-24-2020, 02:46 PM - 2 Likes   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO when Olympus lost their identity of being different, they lost their mojo.

Back in the film era, the OM series were the smallest and lightest SLRs you could buy and the Zuiko lenses were first class quality. Others tried to build lighter cameras with more plastic, but none could match the OM for both size, weight, and quality.

In the consumer market, they also had great point and shoot cameras like the clamshell XA and XA2. Those are still hot items for the retro crowd.

The only Olympus digital I owned was the E-10 back in 2000. Awesome lens, but a camera with serious power and speed issues that rendered it useless. As I prefer an OVF, I never returned to an Oly for consideration as a system.

The only Olympus product that has stood out from the crowd was the Tough TG waterproof series. But even with the 2019 release of the TG-6, to have a 12MP sensor?

I did meet a Magnum photographer around 2010, Eli Reed, who was an Olympus Visionary, a support organization similar to the Canon Explorers of Light or Nikon Ambassador programs. He shot and was supported with all Olympus cameras. Currently I believe there are only three Ricoh Imaging Ambassadors and I wish they were more visible to enthusiasts and pros: Ricoh Imaging Ambassadors - Ricoh
06-24-2020, 02:49 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by guinnessman Quote
TBH, I have no idea what makes a new Oly body better than an older one lately, they all seemed so similar.
Which is probably why I find their offerings so confusing. A scatter-gun approach?
06-24-2020, 03:42 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Seem somebody read the crystal ball
F-Stoppers repeating rumour Olympus has less than twelve months left - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com