Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2020, 04:53 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dang, that hurts. Back in the film days, I considered Olympus just as good as any of the big camera and lens makers and wouldn't have hesitated to buy an OM-4 if I had been able to afford it. And while I haven't been willing to accept the IQ compromises that MFT brings, I have still held Olympus photography tools in high regard and welcomed their contribution to the diversity of the industry.

I sincerely hope they will survive in some meaningful and recognizable form, and not just fall prey to corporate greed.

06-24-2020, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Who said whatever company emerges will be dropping m4/3? They are kind of stuck with it unless they want to develop an entirely new line of lenses using L mount like Panasonic...
It simply reminds me of the Hoya experience. Deja vu.
06-24-2020, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
It simply reminds me of the Hoya experience. Deja vu.
In addition, at the time of the Pentax/Hoya merger, (i) the camera market was growing, not shrinking and (ii) Pentax Imaging weren't making an operating loss equal to 24% of their revenue (like Olympus Imaging last year).
06-24-2020, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I see this as a way for Olympus to save face by not directly selling the OM-D and Zuiko brands directly to a Chinese company,

06-24-2020, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interestingly Olympus it's first product ever was a microscope called Asahi
Olympus Life Science - 3 Facts about Asahi Microscope | Facebook
06-24-2020, 06:41 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Sony laptops have all but disappeared from the European market. Maybe they are just focusing on Japan. Not so good news. Private Equity isn't very patient.
That's because Sony got out of the PC business six years ago which is already mentioned in this thread. They sold the Vaio line of PC's and related stuff to JIP who is bringing in Oly's camera business. You haven't seen many Sony PC's around lately because they're all at or near end of life.

---------- Post added 06-24-20 at 07:45 AM ----------

There's a market for cameras like the Pen stuff, I think, but the market is quite small and the cameras need to be quite good. Otherwise it's camera phone time.

I know there are advantages to m4/3 but it seems to shrink with every APS-C and FF body advancement. I just don't see any customer interest in their cameras at this point. Maybe they're awesome and I'm missing the point but their bodies seems overly large for the small sensor size. Honestly I hope that JIP can sunset the brand respectfully instead of it being some zombie like Vivitar. It seems like Oly has some technology and IP that would be of value to other companies that are doing better.

my 2 cents
06-24-2020, 06:54 AM   #22
Pentaxian

With Olympus pretty close to dropping out I can't see mFT surviving.
Who is left, Panasonic and who else?

---------- Post added 06-24-20 at 06:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Olympus will sell their Imaging business to Japan Industrial Partners
Just read the news too in another forum. We all were guessing that it was coming. The questions was who first. Now the million dollar question... who next? Sad and sobering day for photography. Never owned Olympus gear but tried their OM1 film cameras back in the days and some of the digital offerings at trade show more recently. Their optics are second to none and their buttery smooth shutter must be the best in the industry. What a shame.

06-24-2020, 07:05 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Who is left, Panasonic and who else?

(...)
Blackmagic Design mainly, otherwise some tiny players such as Yi Technology.
06-24-2020, 07:11 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I guess we'll see what happens during the next couple of years. My dad loves his Olympus gear. He just got the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III & he's keeping his OM-D E-M1 as a second body. He doesn't care who keeps Olympus as long as they keep banging out the PRO lenses. Hahaha!
06-24-2020, 07:41 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the info and just saw this in the French business press ... I think that this will keep a lot of people away from Olympus now.

I just checked DPR, and they have nothing up about it at the moment. News cycle not there yet.
06-24-2020, 07:47 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I just checked DPR, and they have nothing up about it at the moment. News cycle not there yet.
they do now
06-24-2020, 07:54 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
they do now
Yep ... listed as being posted 5 minutes ago.

They must be reading Pentax Forums !!!
06-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #28
Pentaxian

With Olympus pretty close to dropping out I can't see mFT surviving.
I am afraid you are right. As much as I like my K1 and full frame, I think the APSc + medium format strategy of Fuji might survive the longest. Smart phone might be the ultimate winner!!
06-24-2020, 08:39 AM - 3 Likes   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I am afraid you are right. As much as I like my K1 and full frame, I think the APSc + medium format strategy of Fuji might survive the longest. Smart phone might be the ultimate winner!!
Meh. Smartphone will never have acceptable ergonomics for anything other than a snapshot.
06-24-2020, 08:40 AM   #30
Pentaxian

In my perception mFT was the source and main pillar of the "mirrorless is more portable/smaller than DSLR" myth.

As soon as mFT goes away the "small" niche will be empty.