Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2020, 07:41 AM   #121
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alex66 Quote

AP has always been poor, only worth getting in the pre internet days for the adds at the back. Pentax is now quite well placed to own the small in the future SLR market as Canon have stated they are stopping developing for EF and I would expect Nikon to also. So anyone who wants a SLR will have only Pentax to go for, they will be like Leica with RF cameras it may be a small market but it will remain. Pentax has had imho had a good strategy of not going through rapid product cycles but having more meaningful upgrades, reducing dev costs and giving product time to sell through.
In regards to AP, over the years I've bought and read a few copies ....but never have been a regular reader. We do get the mag over here, but only at a few big book stores.

I agree with your view on Pentax's niche in the marketplace. .

06-26-2020, 09:42 AM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
In regards to AP, over the years I've bought and read a few copies ....but never have been a regular reader.
Same with me. My father used to get it, and later, around the time I was buying my first SLR (ME Super), I got it for a few weeks (is it still weekly?). I think I outgrew it after a while. A lot of reviews were about P&S cameras, and editorial content that interested me was few and far between. I don't think they really had enough material to fill it every week. Except with adverts of course - it was a good way to find used stuff from dealers before Ebay existed. I'm surprised to learn that AP still exists.
06-26-2020, 09:47 AM - 3 Likes   #123
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
(...)

AFA Olympus in the future, the last time I had a colonoscopy the device used was an Olympus.
'With Olympus, be it cameras or endoscopes, you always have it in the... bottom.'
06-26-2020, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #124
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Same with me. My father used to get it, and later, around the time I was buying my first SLR (ME Super), I got it for a few weeks (is it still weekly?). I think I outgrew it after a while. A lot of reviews were about P&S cameras, and editorial content that interested me was few and far between. I don't think they really had enough material to fill it every week. Except with adverts of course - it was a good way to find used stuff from dealers before Ebay existed. I'm surprised to learn that AP still exists.
Yep. Me too.

I used to work in the publishing industry a long time ago, but I don't think things have changed that much.

Making money in magazines/ newspapers...then... was primarily through selling advertising, particularly the full page, 4 colour adverts and especially the inside front cover, inside back cover and outside back cover. Also full page adverts...colour of B/W were great for generating money.

Subscriptions and newsstand sales were fine, but they were regarded as the gravy, the extra, the bonus.

The money that kept the presses rolling, writers, photographers, secretaries, ad salesman, etc., paid, fixed expenses, covered, ensured owner- publishers making a handsome profit.... well.... that was dependent on how much advertising could be brought in...regularly.

Aside from money , the demographics of readers that bought magazines, newspapers were very important...to the advertising dept.

Ad sales would use the demos to convince potential advertisers that if they bought ad space...they would be reaching a moneyed customer demo with a keen interest in buying , for example expensive camera equipment, if a photo magazine. Hence the much sought after 4 colour, inside and outside back covers....by advertisers, invariably big, usually camera manufacturers.

I'm surprised that AP ...or any print magazine exists...I'll throw in newspapers too. Advertisers have gone online, etc....and I don't see them returning to print anytime soon.

It is not easy to run a magazine...where are you going to find someone who can write snappy commentary , do well thought out analytic testing...come up with front magazine/ newspaper covers with 'grab you ' headlines that trigger impulse buying off the newsstand and trigger those same consumers to buy....every day, week, month...depending on how often the particular print media comes out.

It is getting harder and harder for print media.

Me, I'm glad I left the biz for greener pastures, many moons ago.

Last edited by lesmore49; 06-26-2020 at 11:11 AM.
06-26-2020, 12:38 PM - 3 Likes   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Trying to court youngsters by ditching all DSLRs and going all-in on mirrorless? Why, isn't that what Olympus did?
Samsung literally did that, by having a campaign titled "Ditch the DSLR".
It worked wonderfully for those who took the bait
06-26-2020, 03:05 PM - 4 Likes   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gallows humor in my email this afternoon...
Attached Images

06-26-2020, 03:16 PM - 3 Likes   #127
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
'Final days' but of whom?

'Get ready to get out' is even better.

06-26-2020, 10:00 PM   #128

Photos: Albums
Apart from Pentax, I own an Olympus E-M10 mark 3. It's a dumbed down version of their Mark 2 with better AF and video specs. I bought it primarily as a travel camera due to its diminutive size. It actually takes great pictures despite the m43 sensor. Sad to see the Olympus name go, but the company's mismanagement for the past 20 years didn't leave many other outcomes.

06-26-2020, 10:56 PM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The Amateur Photographer guy doesn't mean anything other than to spread his idiotic ignorance
I used to read Amateur Phtographer regularly back in the 80s and 90s (I even had the odd showcase and stand alone pictures published there, and they encourahed reader submissions and paid quite well in those days) - and to my mind it was the most sensible of the photography magazines and actually very favourable to Pentax, I don't kow wht Nigel Atherton,who's been around the block many times and is generallyold school AP should buy into the narrative of Pentax being just a brand name - he actually gave the K-1 a very good review - but it's sad to see - it has become the prevailing narrative, and that'swhat the ignorant (ie most DPR readers and YouTubers) pick up on.

Last edited by ffking; 06-27-2020 at 03:52 AM.
06-26-2020, 11:00 PM   #130
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
My son-in-law turned down my offer to give him my K-5lls, DA*16~50 and DA*50~135* in favor of buying an Olympus E-M10 (I think) 2-lens bundle. I don’t have the heart to tel him . . . . . .

* since sold as a bundle to a PF member.
06-26-2020, 11:46 PM - 1 Like   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My son-in-law turned down my offer to give him my K-5lls, DA*16~50 and DA*50~135* in favor of buying an Olympus E-M10 (I think) 2-lens bundle. I don’t have the heart to tel him . . . . . .* since sold as a bundle to a PF member.

Oh, the younger folk can handle a dose of reality now and then. Just don't make it sound triumphant. Offer some empathy, point him to the statement, and say something along the lines "Um, not sure if this is good news, but it's about Olympus, and I thought you might be interested ..."

I know I'm being a jerk in suggesting this. As stated above, I'd actually hate to see Olympus go, and I don't relish the thought of photographers who love the gear they've been shooting with in pain. But, frankly, I would hate even more if they slapped one of the great legacy names on abysmal junk, as they have done with, say, Yashica.
06-26-2020, 11:48 PM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My son-in-law turned down my offer to give him my K-5lls, DA*16~50 and DA*50~135* in favor of buying an Olympus E-M10 (I think) 2-lens bundle. I don’t have the heart to tel him . . . . . .
You should still tell him as he may be able to benefit from any fire sales or sell it before everyone else is aware.

It's not like you're telling him to be the bearer of bad news or to flaunt the error of his ways. (Maybe tell your daughter!)
06-27-2020, 12:15 AM - 1 Like   #133
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Oh, the younger folk can handle a dose of reality now and then. Just don't make it sound triumphant. Offer some empathy, point him to the statement, and say something along the lines "Um, not sure if this is good news, but it's about Olympus, and I thought you might be interested ..."

I know I'm being a jerk in suggesting this. As stated above, I'd actually hate to see Olympus go, and I don't relish the thought of photographers who love the gear they've been shooting with in pain. But, frankly, I would hate even more if they slapped one of the great legacy names on abysmal junk, as they have done with, say, Yashica.
I warned him, so it would be a “told ya” moment and I want to avoid that over a brand new significant purchase.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
You should still tell him as he may be able to benefit from any fire sales or sell it before everyone else is aware.

It's not like you're telling him to be the bearer of bad news or to flaunt the error of his ways. (Maybe tell your daughter!)
There’s danger all over this. I’ll let my son do it. He’s a Canon guy.
06-27-2020, 01:24 AM   #134
Forum Member

Another traditional brand down. I like the look of the cameras.

I hope that the MFT system survives. Itīs pretty good for birding when you donīt want to or canīt carry a lot. I can buy a leica 100 -400 mm plus camera for less than the price of a D-FA 150-450mm lens and still got less weight to carry.
06-27-2020, 02:33 AM   #135
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by universalfocus Quote
Another traditional brand down. I like the look of the cameras.

I hope that the MFT system survives. Itīs pretty good for birding when you donīt want to or canīt carry a lot. I can buy a leica 100 -400 mm plus camera for less than the price of a D-FA 150-450mm lens and still got less weight to carry.
I guess the question is how much Panasonic is going to continue to invest in micro four thirds going forward. They sure seem more focused on the L mount cameras at the moment, but I imagine they'll continue to turn out micro four thirds cameras every so often as well.