Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 380 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2020, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
FWIW, the plaintiff has incompetent lawyers. I hope they are being paid contingent on a favorable settlement against a copy machine company for defective cameras. The filing reads like it was written by a layperson.

Steve
be advised that on a contingency fee contract, attorneys get a percentage of any award granted

no award, no attorneys fees

but clients are responsible to pay expenses of the law suit regardless of the success of the law suit

" ain't no such thing as a free lunch "

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-28-2020 at 08:17 PM.
06-28-2020, 05:00 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I know the feeling.

Yes, she is partially negligent; yet, as a result, very wealthy.
if you saw the images of the burns on her labia, you would probably say it wasn't worth it. We are talking McDs was holding the coffee at over 200 F. 3rd degree burns aren't fun anywhere, let alone your genitals.
06-28-2020, 05:02 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, there should have been recalls. I suspect a large percentage were fixed under warranty. I had a K-30 fixed under warranty, and a K-50 fixed when I sent it in for something else - so they know there was a problem. I'm sure that Ricoh has lots of data since all warranty repairs would be logged with serial numbers. My son also has a K-50 that had the repair under warranty, so three in our family had two failures ( three repaired - kind of like what the auto industry calls silent recalls). I'm not implying that is a good enough sample size to determine any failure rates. And it may seem like we've heard a lot abut the failures here, but when they don't fail, they don't complain.

The way these lawsuits usually turn out from what I have seen, if it is class action, a small percentage will actually participate, and the settlement, if there is one, will be very small for those participants, they will probably get something like $20 off their next Pentax purchase, or $10 cash.
06-28-2020, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
In the coffee one, at least, the company was found partially negligent because the temperature they kept their coffee at, while the best for giving it maximum storage time, was excessively hot as a temperature for serving it at. The lady in question was found partly negligent as well.
the true story about that lawsuit is interesting

and not appropriate for the forums imho

pm me if you want to know

06-28-2020, 05:16 PM - 5 Likes   #20
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
if you saw the images of the burns on her labia, you would probably say it wasn't worth it. We are talking McDs was holding the coffee at over 200 F. 3rd degree burns aren't fun anywhere, let alone your genitals.
Perhaps, but to my mind it's like sticking your hand in a blender then suing the manufacturer because the blades were unnecessarily sharp.
06-28-2020, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
There's another side to that coin. The problem for Ricoh is that this is a tortious action filed in U.S. court.
2.86 million awarded to a woman for prying the lid off of a hot cup of coffee held between her legs.
A burglar won a lawsuit against a homeowner after falling off the roof trying to get away with the property he'd stolen.
In 2013, a group of Subway customers filed a class-action lawsuit against the chain, claiming its footlong subs didn’t always measure up to 12 inches. Before the lawsuit was consolidated, some plaintiffs were seeking up to $5 million from the sandwich chain. U.S. District Court Judge Lynn Adelman called the case “quite weak” and Subway was cleared of deceptive marketing practices, but agreed to make sure subs are the proper size in the future and would pay $520,000 in attorney fees and $500 to each of the 10 plaintiffs.
In the U.S. having done nothing wrong doesn't insulate you from financial loss from lawsuits.
Lying routinely about the size of your product is wrong.

Also trying to trademark the phrase “foot long” and preventing small businesses from using the term is wrong.

When people complain about Subway being a victim I ask this:

Would you be happy if for every $12 of salary you were paid only $11.50 or $11?

That is comparable to the Subway issue.

Your other statements could have some merit but Subway is not a victim.
06-28-2020, 06:19 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Yes, there should have been recalls. I suspect a large percentage were fixed under warranty. I had a K-30 fixed under warranty, and a K-50 fixed when I sent it in for something else - so they know there was a problem. I'm sure that Ricoh has lots of data since all warranty repairs would be logged with serial numbers. My son also has a K-50 that had the repair under warranty, so three in our family had two failures ( three repaired - kind of like what the auto industry calls silent recalls). I'm not implying that is a good enough sample size to determine any failure rates. And it may seem like we've heard a lot abut the failures here, but when they don't fail, they don't complain.

The way these lawsuits usually turn out from what I have seen, if it is class action, a small percentage will actually participate, and the settlement, if there is one, will be very small for those participants, they will probably get something like $20 off their next Pentax purchase, or $10 cash.
I remember this... out of curiosity, about when were the K-50s purchased and when was your fix done without asking?

Steve

06-28-2020, 07:32 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

You got me curious
06-28-2020, 07:32 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

You got me interested ...
06-28-2020, 07:46 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I'm reminded that every time I boil the kettle for a cup of tea, the water is well over 200 F. I'd be frankly surprised if someone handed me lukewarm cup of coffee or tea.
06-28-2020, 08:02 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I remember this... out of curiosity, about when were the K-50s purchased and when was your fix done without asking?

Steve
I purchased the K-50 in October 2014, the repair was completed in May 2017.
06-28-2020, 09:29 PM - 3 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

We'll see where this goes. Even though I've been burned twice (2 K-50 bodies that I fixed on my own), I hope this class action lawsuit doesn't result in Ricoh not selling cameras or lenses in the USA later on. I'm not jumping on the lawsuit either.
06-28-2020, 09:47 PM   #28
Forum Member

I had this happen on my K2-2. I'm not sure how I feel about a class action suit though. Luckily I was able to get my camera repaired locally for a reasonable sum, but it would've been nice if Ricoh offered something to affected users.
06-28-2020, 10:25 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The problem is that the volume of failures doesn't mean much unless you know how many cameras were sold. Every camera can fail. Leica cameras are historically 100% tested before leaving the factory. A friend was selling one to a customer and it was defective out of the box. Anyway, it would be nice to know a failure percentage for the K-50. I have one with a later serial number but still had to replace the aperture control. My son's camera is still working fine as is one a friend bought. Still, not enough data to make any conclusions.
06-28-2020, 10:35 PM - 3 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

What was an expected lifespan for a dslr back in 2013?
Found this for IPcameras in 2015.
IP Camera Failure Rates 2015

14% <4 years
65% 4-6 years

Can canon be sued for its 50,000 shutter rating?

If i make a product that fails 90% of the time in 1 year because of 10 different problems am i ok.
If i make a product that fails 20% in 1 year from a specific problem am i cupable?

Are any of these defined in any reasonable sense? If they aren't can i make reasonable sense of the lawsuit?