Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 380 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2021, 06:09 PM   #406

Guys, thanks for great discussion. For now I ended with the "wrong" way of fixing the things which was using the sandpaper. At the moment it helped things. These are not my main cameras, so if something will break, that's not a big problem for me.

A little OT: photogem, I'm from Europe (PL). Can you suggest me, where to buy the SD card doors for K70? My distributor won't help me and I'm not interested in paying him almost $100 for a tiny part. Thank you!

01-16-2021, 08:10 PM   #407
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will certainly speak up if it fails....
01-16-2021, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #408
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kamilbaranski Quote
Guys, thanks for great discussion. For now I ended with the "wrong" way of fixing the things which was using the sandpaper. At the moment it helped things. These are not my main cameras, so if something will break, that's not a big problem for me.

A little OT: photogem, I'm from Europe (PL). Can you suggest me, where to buy the SD card doors for K70? My distributor won't help me and I'm not interested in paying him almost $100 for a tiny part. Thank you!
I would try US Camera, the original part that was replaced in my K-70 looks identical to this one and they say new parts added every day!Pentax 77860-G0100 Diaphragm Control Block | K-S2 | K-30 | K-50 | PartsUSCamera

My original diaphragm control is pictured here!

Cheers
01-17-2021, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #409

Supposedly Ricoh has said some sort of changes were made, either to the solenoid and/or block assembly so the older versions may not be compatible. The parts list would indicate if they are interchangeable or not.

12-27-2021, 11:15 PM   #410
jie

Just bought the k70 should I return it?

I will be looking at another brand if so, for example a T7i or T8i .
12-28-2021, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #411
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jie Quote

I had processor problems with two straight Canon Rebels.
You will not find fewer problems with lower tier Canons.
At least my K-30 still works, albeit with aperture-ring-equipped lenses that allow me to set aperture at the lens.
My Canon Rebels were good for nothing but the trash when they failed.
Your K-70 may not ‘fail’ - keep it and expect the best.
I already have a KP, so I won’t be getting a K-70,
but it they follow up the K-70 with a camera that has the K-3iii’s focusing,
I will get it and use it with my K-30 experience in mind.
12-28-2021, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #412
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No. The failure rate is much lower than it was before and the K-70 brings brings versatility to the table unmatched by the competition. I bought a lightly used K-70 specifically for its tilt and swivel screen. i owned a K-30 which had the aperture block failure. Disappointing, yes but I used it for quite a while with older K-mount lenses using the green button. My friend had the processor fail in her just out of warranty Rebel. No fix from Canon and the camera is now in a landfill.

12-28-2021, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #413

Bang for buck electrical stuff that only as one major issue (that doesn't occur that much) with a relatively easy en cheap fix? I think it doesn't come much better then that. If you are afraid of failure, get something expensive like a k3iii or one of it's competitors.
If you want a great camera, just keep the K70. I really enjoy it and if it fails, i repair it or let someone else do it using the instructions from Photogem on is this forum.
12-30-2021, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #414
jie

I'm beginning to get the focus issues down by playing around and with the help of others in other threads, so with the three replies I received here I'm going to go ahead and hang on to the k70. I appreciate the replys!
12-30-2021, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #415
Veteran Member

I think hanging on to the K70 is a good idea. I just picked one up and love the many features and advances. I have no fears of it failing due to ABF. I think most of the ABF issues were in the earlier production runs and Pentax has it pretty well sorted out these days.
12-30-2021, 08:23 PM   #416
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm beginning to get the focus issues down by playing around and with the help of others in other threads, so with the three replies I received here I'm going to go ahead and hang on to the k70. I appreciate the replys!

My wife loves her K-70, and it's been working perfectly since December 2016.

12-30-2021, 09:20 PM   #417
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
My wife loves her K-70, and it's been working perfectly since December 2016.

I've seen many comments and posts here about the aperture block problem and folks indicating it will happen in the K-70. However, I've seen very few comments from K-70 owners that it is happening, and there seems to be a significant number of us here. I have faith and belief that Ricoh/Pentax has corrected the problem in all cameras to avoid the problem and to maintain the allegiance of Pentaxians around the world. They may even gain more Pentax users.
12-31-2021, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #418
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
My friend had the processor fail in her just out of warranty Rebel. No fix from Canon and the camera is now in a landfill.
Sounds like my experiences. My wife and I went to a place which used to be the town dump - and has been repurposed as a wildlife sanctuary.
I wondered briefly if one of my Rebels ended up there.
02-17-2022, 06:49 AM - 2 Likes   #419
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The latest news about (the dismissed) courtcase Kyszenia v. Ricoh:
Kyszenia v. Ricoh U.S., Inc., 20-CV-2215 (AMD) (VMS) | Casetext Search + Citator

What really is interesting, if one "translates" "court-English":

"Specifically, the plaintiffs complain that the aperture functions properly when the camera is first purchased, but deteriorates after about a year, causing photographs to appear “completely dark” (id. ¶ 4), because a part within the aperture contains a smaller amount of copper than necessary for it to function without incident throughout the normal use-life of the camera and too much alloy.” (Id. ¶ 32.) the plaintiffs assert that the apertures of the Pentax cameras, in contrast to that of one of the defendant's competitors, contain too much alloy, and not enough copper, which is “less susceptible [than alloy] to normal deterioration.”

into plain Pentax-Solenoid-English*:

"The alloy of the solenoid and plunger contain too little copper, thus the alloy magnetizes too much and fails"

This is insofar interesting because it seems that there must have been some expertise presented, i.e. the China-solenoid had been investigated against the Japan -Solenoid and one found out that the alloy contains too little copper and thus it magnetizes too much.

*for those who don't know about this, it is the most modern English concering high-quality photography
02-17-2022, 07:06 AM   #420
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
"The alloy of the solenoid and plunger contain too little copper, thus the alloy magnetizes too much and fails"

This is insofar interesting because it seems that there must have been some expertise presented, i.e. the China-solenoid had been investigated against the Japan -Solenoid and one found out that the alloy contains too little copper and thus it magnetizes too much.

*for those who don't know about this, it is the most modern English concering high-quality photography
Assuming this is true, fixing this issue should be simple. Is there any reason {other than economics} for the outside vendor to stick with the new formulation?

I wonder why Pentax sticks with this outside vendor {I suppose the K-n0 line may not be important enough to them to make the switch with the resulting re-design}.