Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 380 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2022, 07:02 AM   #496
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zbrueningsen Quote
I repaired my own K-30 with about an hour of work and a YouTube video. I just sanded down the A piece and have had 0 issues since.
I’m sure you are proud of your work, but “camera kit” does not usually imply
“some work required” / “some assembly required”.

04-16-2022, 07:12 AM   #497
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don’t understand the kit comment? I do appreciate the follow up continued issues that may come after my “quick fix”. It helps me assess my k30 situation and potential future issues.
04-16-2022, 07:51 AM   #498
Pentaxian

I don’t understand the kit comment? I do appreciate the follow up continued issues that may come after my “quick fix”. It helps me assess my k30 situation and potential future issues.
An American tradition is Dad’s spending most of Christmas Eve assembling toys, which are advertised as “some assembly needed”.
It is almost as much of a tradition as toys advertised as “batteries needed”.
In the non-camera world, a “kit” usually implies “the fun of assembling is part of what you are getting” - sense of accomplishment when the assembling is done.

I spent a day at my Grandmother’s house assembling a ‘war ship kit’.
She remembered when my uncle spent a week on a ‘war ship kit’ - times had changed.

Last edited by reh321; 04-16-2022 at 08:02 AM.
04-16-2022, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #499
Veteran Member

An American tradition is Dad’s spending most of Christmas Eve assembling toys, which are advertised as “some assembly needed”.
It is almost as much of a tradition as toys advertised as “batteries needed”.
In the non-camera world, a “kit” usually implies “the fun of assembling is part of what you are getting” - sense of accomplishment when the assembling is done.

I spent a day at my Grandmother’s house assembling a ‘war ship kit’.
She remembered when my uncle spent a week on a ‘war ship kit’ - times had changed.
I think I understand you now. You are essentially saying this isn't the kind of thing that should require some work. If I understand you properly, I will readily admit that I don't know any 9 year old electronics that don't need some work...

04-16-2022, 02:34 PM   #500
Pentaxian

I think I understand you now. You are essentially saying this isn't the kind of thing that should require some work. If I understand you properly, I will readily admit that I don't know any 9 year old electronics that don't need some work...
Our 34-year-old daughter is visiting this weekend.
Her birthday is tomorrow - then she will be “our 35-year-old daughter”.
Right now they are playing some game, while I took pictures using my
K-30 and the flash I used when she was born.
I have never worked on that electronic flash.
I wish the K-30 worked as well as that Vivitar flash does.

Last edited by reh321; 04-16-2022 at 03:00 PM.
04-16-2022, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #501
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How I understood it was the often the K30 (or others) were sold as a kit, i.e. with a kitlens included, not just the body.

So the word kit got now a different meaning because one has to disassemble and reassemble it, which of course wasn't the original intention of the manufacturer.

About future issues with your K30: Better not to worry now what could happen, takes the fun out of it. If the solenoid fails again then you know how to do it and then you can do it better. I see the K30/50 and more so the K-S1 and K-S2 as worth to spend that little extra money on it to function right
and yet, I know and fully respect that for some this kind of work is too difficult.

But lets not go too much off-topic: This thread is abou the class action lawsuit and that future K70 buyers don't have to worry, i.e. they but a kit and not a kit....
04-19-2022, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #502
Pentaxian

$100 would allow me to actually "buy" my 3rd solenoid to use on my last K-S2 , rather than scavenging one from goodwill auctions.
I was one of the unlucky ones that got bitten by this ABF bug more than twice on new purchases. At least the 3rd time I was aware of the problem and rolled the dice anyway on one of the K-S2`s that was manufactured in 2017....you know....the ones that were reported to have a less likely chance of developing ABF ?
Well....as of Friday my luck ran out. My old friend ABF IS visiting again.....lol
My feeling on the lawsuit is I hope Everyone gets what's deserved including Pentax !
A few members on here might wonder why I'm so "Sour Grapes" on Pentax as of late ? Believe me...it's an "acquired taste"...Mehhh...Nuff said.

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 04-19-2022 at 02:37 PM.
04-19-2022, 03:34 PM   #503
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
$100 would allow me to actually "buy" my 3rd solenoid to use on my last K-S2 , rather than scavenging one from goodwill auctions.
I was one of the unlucky ones that got bitten by this ABF bug more than twice on new purchases. At least the 3rd time I was aware of the problem and rolled the dice anyway on one of the K-S2`s that was manufactured in 2017....you know....the ones that were reported to have a less likely chance of developing ABF ?
Well....as of Friday my luck ran out. My old friend ABF IS visiting again.....lol
My feeling on the lawsuit is I hope Everyone gets what's deserved including Pentax !
A few members on here might wonder why I'm so "Sour Grapes" on Pentax as of late ? Believe me...it's an "acquired taste"...Mehhh...Nuff said.
You reported you experience and were able to vent. Is that a win/win/loss situation? Sorry you went 3 for 3.

How is the weather sealing doing after opening cameras?
04-19-2022, 03:46 PM   #504
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
When I purchased my K-30 in the summer of 2015, I was completely unaware of ABF, but most likely KEH was aware, as I got it for $300 {shutter count of 3}. I became very familiar with it 2 years later.
I purchased a KP because I didn’t want to experience it again, and recommended that others do likewise.
I hear that the latest variant of the solenoid is much better, but I would purchase another K-n0 only because I would always have the KP as ‘backup’ and I do have a 55-300mm PLM lens now, so I could still use the “K-90” in many cases.

added: I do still use the K-30 - with old film lenses that allow me to set the aperture at the lens - so I guess the lenses would be another form of ‘backup’ if I did get a “K-90”. I feel no ill will towards Pentax. I had two Canon Rebels fail me during the previous eight year, both experienced processor problems before they failed completely. Both are in the town dump, while my K-30 is still usable.

Last edited by reh321; 04-19-2022 at 04:17 PM.
04-19-2022, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #505
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
You reported you experience and were able to vent. Is that a win/win/loss situation? Sorry you went 3 for 3.

well...as far as the weather sealing , I would say it's questionable at best.
My first K30 ended up in a campground dumpster over ABF. We didn't know anything back then
Then my first K-S2 bit the dust and it sat for 3 years before we knew enough to fix it.
The most recent K-S2 was very late in the serial numbers and was supposed to be an upgraded solenoid. Now it's giving me dark images in Live view.
Quite aggravated as I really like my cameras. It's been an unbelievable ammount of frustrating stress dealing with this over several years. The only good thing is I now know how to deal with it. However it never should have been that way in the first place.
Should Pentax ever face any large settlements I'm sure not going to feel bad for them. Probably just smile !
As far as a Win/Loose situation ? There's no winners on either side.

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 04-19-2022 at 07:11 PM.
04-20-2022, 12:26 AM   #506
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Weather sealing is zero affected when one opens a Pentax DSLR with a solenoid.
The sealing is made that way that it won't get affected.
04-20-2022, 02:16 AM   #507
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
From your other post it is less than 2 months since the repair. Cameras repaired by sanding or filing often fail again and 2 months is too soon to know.
Do you have a link for that? I’m not disputing your statement. I’m just curious and would love to read about more people’s experience on this.
I sent my daughter's K-S1 to a guy who "fixed" it with the sanding procedure. That was three or four years ago (I'm not sure the exact time), but the fix is still holding. To me, the 100 dollars I spent was worth it for that extra time. The camera is now 7 years old and is at the normal life span that I would expect for a camera that I paid 250 dollars for new.

As to how others have done with the sanding technique, I don't know. It sounds like there are mixed reviews on it.
04-20-2022, 03:27 AM   #508
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I sent my daughter's K-S1 to a guy who "fixed" it with the sanding procedure. That was three or four years ago (I'm not sure the exact time), but the fix is still holding. To me, the 100 dollars I spent was worth it for that extra time. The camera is now 7 years old and is at the normal life span that I would expect for a camera that I paid 250 dollars for new.

As to how others have done with the sanding technique, I don't know. It sounds like there are mixed reviews on it.
That’s great to hear! Thanks for sharing. I have always believed a short cut fix was going to get mixed results over the long term. However, I wouldn’t have been surprised if it held strong for a lot of people.
04-20-2022, 09:05 AM   #509
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Weather sealing is zero affected when one opens a Pentax DSLR with a solenoid.
The sealing is made that way that it won't get affected.
That is good to hear. My ks-2 weathered many storms before opening and several after. When I opened it I had noticed the screws below the strap showed some penetration. I did have a problem from there after the replacement once.

I now take the strap off after a strong rain. The strap will hold moisture against the screw. In a light rain I just make sure to get a paper towel in that recess and have had no problems since. I had been worried about those gaskets.
04-20-2022, 11:26 PM   #510
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is good to hear. My ks-2 weathered many storms before opening and several after. When I opened it I had noticed the screws below the strap showed some penetration. I did have a problem from there after the replacement once.

I now take the strap off after a strong rain. The strap will hold moisture against the screw. In a light rain I just make sure to get a paper towel in that recess and have had no problems since. I had been worried about those gaskets.
There are sealing gaskets below the strapholders. Normally they don't come off but in rare cases they can move and if not noticed one can squeeze them in the wrong way and then they won't seal there anymore.

That it solved better (and more expensive) in the top of the line Pentax bodies, such as the K7/5/3/KP etc.