Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2020, 01:18 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Film Ferrania | Kickstarter: Attention All Backers!

In my inbox yesterday...

QuoteQuote:
Attention All Backers!

This is the most important update we have ever posted.
...followed by a link to a new page on the Film Ferrania Web site:

Film Ferrania | Kickstarter

In simplest terms, Ferrania has decided that a 5 1/2 year lapse in not fulfilling backer premiums has been long enough. Instead, they are moving outside the Kickstarter framework and asking backers to register directly with them. Those that register will receive an account credit at the Ferrania store equal to the amount of the original backing to be used for product purchases. It will be at least January 2021 before production capacity allows redemption. Details such as price and shipping are unknown.

After so very long, are we backers happy campers?

Steve

(...mods feel free to move this thread as seems appropriate...)

07-08-2020, 01:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I'm still deciding........

Phil.
07-08-2020, 03:07 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ferrania

Steve

Hi,

Not really.
If I had known it was going to take this long I would not have backed thm.

Regards,
Gordon
07-08-2020, 04:09 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

It's to be hoped they have learned how to make at least a halfway decent film in the past couple of decades. Ferrania made garbage film when I was working in the processing industry.

07-08-2020, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It's to be hoped they have learned how to make at least a halfway decent film in the past couple of decades. Ferrania made garbage film when I was working in the processing industry.
Apparently their initial B&W offering, P30, is not too bad when properly processed. (They suggest processing by hand using very specific instructions. There is also a best practices document.)

Film Ferrania | P30

I have had fun with both Ferrania Solaris 100 and Solaris 400, so much so that I procured a small cache of residual stock as the last vestiges disappeared from the market.

Kiev 4A, LZOS Jupiter-12 35/2.8 Contax/Kiev

FED-2, KMZ Jupiter-8 50/2.0

FED-2, LZOS Jupiter-12 35/2.8 LTM

Steve
07-08-2020, 07:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Assuming that Ferrania are trying to do the right thing and produce the film soon, what real benefit is there for moving away from Kickstarter?
I mean, they could just stay with Kickstarter, produce the film and send it to all the backers and that would be that - albeit with a 5+ year delay - but it would still be done.
From a backer's point of view, is there a single good reason to move away from Kickstarter?

For disclosure, I'm not really aware of the background of this nor am I a backer. Just someone that dislikes broken promises.
07-08-2020, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
From a backer's point of view, is there a single good reason to move away from Kickstarter?
The original Kickstarter was to fund purchase of machinery and production of E6 slide film. The premiums were to be samples of that production. That never happened. Instead, the only product produced to date has been limited runs of P30 B&W negative film in 35mm. My understanding is that a failed project is to refund the backers. An alternative offer presumably gets them off the hook for backers that accept it. There was an earlier offer that involved a premium of the P30 film, but it was very limited in scope. I think they are hoping to tempt the majority of the remaining backers to accept a store credit applicable to future production.

My original "investment" was only $35 and the premium would have been a two rolls of film, one 35mm and one 120.

Steve

07-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My original "investment" was only $35 and the premium would have been a two rolls of film, one 35mm and one 120.
I think I gave them $150 if I remember correctly...

Their b&w film was OK but was not what I signed up for. I'd be happy if they only put out a high speed (400 ISO) slide film in 135/120. Ferrania would be dumb to go for the 50-100 ISO E6 market instead.

Phil.
07-09-2020, 11:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm sure my small donation helped a tiny bit. Very huge project. I still give them kudos for giving it a go. I shoot the P30 from time to time. My most recent roll thru Blue Moon Camera. Send me back in time and I'd chip in again. (But then again, I need to feed my 10 film cameras so my perspective will be skewed)
07-09-2020, 01:36 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle94VT Quote
I'm sure my small donation helped a tiny bit. Very huge project. I still give them kudos for giving it a go. I shoot the P30 from time to time. My most recent roll thru Blue Moon Camera. Send me back in time and I'd chip in again. (But then again, I need to feed my 10 film cameras so my perspective will be skewed)
I would likely back the project again as well. Interestingly enough, the owner of Bluemoon is one of the movers and shakers behind the Film Ferrania project.

Steve
07-09-2020, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

The original Kickstarter was to fund purchase of machinery and production of E6 slide film. The premiums were to be samples of that production. That never happened. Instead, the only product produced to date has been limited runs of P30 B&W negative film in 35mm. My understanding is that a failed project is to refund the backers. An alternative offer presumably gets them off the hook for backers that accept it. There was an earlier offer that involved a premium of the P30 film, but it was very limited in scope. I think they are hoping to tempt the majority of the remaining backers to accept a store credit applicable to future production.

Steve
Ah, thanks for the background. Now I feel like my previous post was a little too harsh
Hope you guys can get something you like out of it.