Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2020, 08:31 AM   #1
Pentaxian

article to read with a slight drinking coffee

again came across an interesting article, old fame-cheap cameras-large format- personal wishes-inferiority of pentax in the recent past and present-omnipresent theme autofocus ....:

A Plea to Pentax: Go Back to Making What You Were Great At | Fstoppers

Last edited by mbukal; 07-14-2020 at 08:49 AM.
07-14-2020, 08:47 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Interesting? I'd call it garbage.
It basically says Pentax should became a boutique manufacturer making K1000s (yes, the film version) which would make them thrive comparing with being a serious player in the DSLR arena.
07-14-2020, 08:49 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
silly article :P
07-14-2020, 08:51 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I tried to read with understanding, but I must admit that I did not understand what the "poet" wanted to say with this review of the past and his desires for the future, I was lost in the text ???

07-14-2020, 08:57 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Neither news nor rumor.

moving
07-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fair enough...Madison is their token film photog and a source of quality 35mm film cameras would be a welcome addition to the market.

That said, his history lesson indicates a lack of depth in the subject, a common failing at fstoppers; one of the reasons why I seldom go there.

Steve
07-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good grief. It's another strange article from Fstoppers.

The article doesn't mention Ricoh Imaging, but instead refers to "Pentax" as a corporate entity. The piece also ignores their recent developments, new lenses, and outlook.

- Craig
07-14-2020, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
what’s more, the sigma art lineup does not offer any of its lenses in the pentax mount.

30/1.4
35/1.4
18-35/1.8

07-14-2020, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It reads as a camera consumer who has no real interest in shooting the Pentax brand.

The author must have learned some interesting parts of Pentax history and figured they'd write an article on how much Pentax isn't acting like Canon or Nikon or Sony so they should go back to the 'more interesting parts of Pentax history'....

It reads like part of the clan of people who state that Pentax needs to make a full-frame 4K mirrorless option or they'll be doomed, when in actuality, building a full-frame mirrorless option did not save Canon or Nikon from their own declining revenue problems (and probably added to them).

The author fails to understand that Pentax does not need to become Canon to be a successful camera manufacture.. in fact, look at Canon stock market relatively recently (10 years)... they've been collapsing the same as Nikon.. Ricoh on the other hand has had stead stock since acquiring Pentax (Covid drop, considered).

Seems that the Ricoh executives know what they're doing just fine.

Last edited by FozzFoster; 07-14-2020 at 09:10 AM.
07-14-2020, 09:07 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got that in my news feed and read (most) of it. I agree, a waste of electrons. What was his point? Silly premise that any major company could make money on a new film camera. If that was possible somebody in China would be turning them out for $45. I found him to be completely uninformed as to what Pentax was actually doing these days.

QuoteQuote:
Had they kept the same mount between those two cameras (shifting from a screw mount M42 to a bayonet-style mount, the K-mount), I think the Spotmatic would be a more popular camera choice for those looking to get into film today.
So he thinks they should have stayed with the M42 mount? <SARC>That makes a lot of sense.</SARC>
07-14-2020, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Pentax will make money by reintroducing the K1000? Yeah right.
07-14-2020, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Pentax will make money by reintroducing the K1000? Yeah right.
And the 6x7 II, can't forget that hot market, or you mess up the whole stratagem. LOL!

Don't get me wrong, I loved my K1000, as well as my 645 and 6x7... but the minute I picked up an *ist D, I knew film was soon to be all but dead except for specialized use.

This article is written like the author was either trying to be funny (and flopped), or was actually clueless (seems more likely). He knew some of Pentax ancient history, but none of the recent history, and didn't mention Hoya and buy-outs, what really effected the bottom line.

The comment where he says Pentax is in the top #3 in Japan is the only thing worth reading in the whole piece, and I WISH Ricoh would invest in a USA based marketing firm to push their products here (and re-open the Colorado service center and Pro services like they said they would a few years ago). True enough, most people over here don't even know Pentax (Ricoh) still make products, and to that point, I have to give the writer some leeway. In my opinion, the article is only worth reading for those that like reading anything and everything that has the name Pentax mentioned in it, (which is usually me) but in this case, even I would have advised myself to pass.

Eric
07-14-2020, 10:21 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Didn't they just run an article about how nobody should be buying a camera with a mirror in it in 2020?
07-14-2020, 11:03 AM   #14

I read some place that Canon where stopping developing EF mount lenses, cameras would probably follow and I could see Nikon doing the same going forward. In five years I can see the only maker of 35mm sized DSLR being Pentax so why would they produce a film camera that most likely not return tooling costs, a lot of the buyers of the K1000 are doing it because it is an old camera, they possibly would not buy one if it was available new. The article is dumb, there might have been an upturn of film production and use but with the millions of good used cameras out there is there any point in making a new one?
07-14-2020, 01:47 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a large market for used Pentax medium format (645/6x7) film cameras and a used 67II is selling for around the same price now as a used 645D.

However if Pentax released a new 67III it would way too expensive and out of the price range for 95% of the people shooing MF film. (Of course I'd get a 67III if it was ever released....)

Phil.