Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2020, 11:56 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Lessons on marketing spec sheet lies - example Sony EVF

Too many toys today are being sold via marketing spec sheets.

That is why it is important to verify things in reality.

The claimed (!) 1,2 Mpx EVF on a Sony A9 seems to be a very good example of what potential buyers need to know.

QuoteQuote:
The viewfinder OLED panel resolution has increased from ~2.4 MP on the A7rii to ~3.7 MP on the A9.
However, this resolution is never available on the A9 for still image composition. In all still shooting modes, the viewfinder image is rendered significantly below the maximum panel resolution leading to effectively the same viewfinder image resolution as on the A7rii. This results in obvious aliasing and pixelation in the viewfinder image.
The only times the viewfinder image is rendered in the higher resolution enabled by the upgraded viewfinder panel include:
- 4K movie mode. However, this is rendered with a very low refresh rate (seems like 24Hz or lower) which causes the image preview to be very jittery and frustrating to use with even very slow panning.
- S&Q movie setting. Strangely enough as far as visually discernable the viewfinder resolution appears to be as high as in 4K movie, however, the refresh rate is much higher (>=50Hz?).
- Image playback mode.
As it is, the upgrade viewfinder resolution is essentially useless for still shooting modes and the associated Sony marketing material suggesting and improved still shooting viewfinder experience is misleading. I understand the renderable viewfinder resolution is limited by the camera processing constraints and that this may result in having to compromise on either the resolution, or the refresh rate of the viewfinder panel (this can be observed when enabling the high-speed 120Hz viewfinder mode where the rendered resolution drops significantly). However, the A9 seems to be capable of rendering both a high-resolution and a high refresh rate viewfinder image as evidenced by the S&Q mode setting. If so then why is this performance not available in still image shooting modes? this could be that in S&Q the camera is running in a permanently sub-sampled sensor mode and it can't switch to full sensor readout mode quickly enough to give a good shooting experience. Or maybe it draws significantly more power.
Sony A9 viewfinder not really higher resolution than A7rii: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I bet that not even 10% of buyers are aware of these factual limitations.

07-16-2020, 12:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Too many toys today are being sold via marketing spec sheets.

That is why it is important to verify things in reality.

The claimed (!) 1,2 Mpx EVF on a Sony A9 seems to be a very good example of what potential buyers need to know.

Sony A9 viewfinder not really higher resolution than A7rii: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

The EVFs I've tried all had a similar problem, the pixelation was painfully visible. I doubt it's exclusive to the Sony...
07-16-2020, 12:34 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I've shot with the A7 RIII and the eye detection feature only works if you're very close to the subject. Otherwise, at normal distances it flunks and reverts to the same face detection mode as Pentaxes.
07-16-2020, 02:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
But they'd often start heated arguments about their system's superiority against - say - DSLRs...

07-16-2020, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don't complain. "It's a SONY" after all. That is most important.