Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 93 Likes Search this Thread
07-26-2020, 11:05 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
SD and CFExpress type A slot?
CFE card is 4mm narrower (20mm) than an SD (24mm) so it would come up to about your red line.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
On the K-3, the #1 is towards the front and the #2 towards the back.
Yep, that's going to drive me crazy-er.

07-27-2020, 02:05 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm of the opinion, that a sensor just revealed in February is far too new to be in the new body. But I have no direct insight.
I'd think so.
Also, Ricoh could have ordered one of the recent Sony silicon matrix plus special ad-ons such as microlenses, AF sensors, ... making it unique for the K-new.
07-27-2020, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pentax is designing in-house lenses for much higher resolution than is available on current generation sensors. I believe we are in a trasnition where Pentax intends to leap to the forefront with an entirely new architecture rather than continue to incremental improve the old technology. Subsequent bodies (FF, 645) will improve on these advances, so a series of dramatic improevements. This statement gives some credence to my belief.

I believe they are only telling us some of the changes. What does new imaging engine mean? What does a new Accelerator Unit do? What changes to AF (we pretty much know they have a new AF sensor). Would they do all this and not improve throughput? Will they abandon Socionext (new Imaging engine)? Will the sensor choice allow better video?

Unfortunately there are more questions now, not fewer.

Not sure if I agree with you. They spent 3 years improving an optical viewfinder, which is ancient technology.

Also, using a different sensor requires a lot of work to integrate and to make the most of. If the new sensor only came out recently, I seriously doubt Pentax engineers had enough time to utilize it properly.

Don't get me wrong, I love the optical viewfinder, but I would not get my hopes up about a revolutionary new architecture or crazy new features. I think the new K will be an evolution, improvement in all areas, like K-3 was over K-5.
07-27-2020, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
"To improve the image quality, we equipped the camera with brand new components, including the image sensor, image engine and accelerator unit. All of these components were newly designed and developed for this camera"

That is some pretty specific language right there... got me a little excited, any one else? He did say "To improve the image quality" not to improve the speed, so I am guessing either a latest generation 24mp sensor, or something new like the linked 43mp... not something smaller like the 20mp sensor in some of the competition.
That language doesn't contradict using the 26 MPx sensor in the 1800 EUR Fuji XT4.

It's important for noob buyers to understand that sensors have not made any significant progress during all the last years other than for some fringe topics.
Neither noise nor dynamic range will change in any significant way versus the current KP.
And the 26 MPx one offers already all sorts of other toys from higher FPS over video to OSPD.

On the other side "new" sensor also means expensive sensor and camera. Given the streams of tears when discussing proper pricing here I do not think a $2000+ price level for using a brandnew sensor would be loved by too many.
Keeping it low at $1700 to $1800 might be a good idea.

So I'd wager that pretty much any component of the camera is at least as important as the sensor used.

07-27-2020, 03:52 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
That language doesn't contradict using the 26 MPx sensor in the 1800 EUR Fuji XT4.

It's important for noob buyers to understand that sensors have not made any significant progress during all the last years other than for some fringe topics.
Neither noise nor dynamic range will change in any significant way versus the current KP.
And the 26 MPx one offers already all sorts of other toys from higher FPS over video to OSPD.
This ^^^

The KP is already excellent; the Knew will be improved whatever the sensor, in large part because of the new accelerator.
I see no reason for complaining.

The 43MP APS-C sensor is just a rumor; and a rumor can't get any kind of image
07-27-2020, 04:02 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
This ^^^

The KP is already excellent; the Knew will be improved whatever the sensor, in large part because of the new accelerator.
I see no reason for complaining.

The 43MP APS-C sensor is just a rumor; and a rumor can't get any kind of image
I hope you're right. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see a huge improvement over the KP image quality. I just hope they won't back slide. I'm not as ecstatic over the images of my k-3II over my k-5II. I'm still wowed by the images of my k-5II over my k-3II.
07-27-2020, 04:05 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hat language doesn't contradict using the 26 MPx sensor in the 1800 EUR Fuji XT4.
Given the Fujifilm is a mirrorless camera and the K-new is DSLR, wouldn't that necessitate a different sensor or a derivation of the Sony sensor used by Fuji?

07-27-2020, 04:13 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I hope you're right. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see a huge improvement over the KP image quality. I just hope they won't back slide. I'm not as ecstatic over the images of my k-3II over my k-5II. I'm still wowed by the images of my k-5II over my k-3II.
There is no way they could get a huge improvement over the KP; the KP is just that good.
There is no way they would back slide either; Ricoh Imaging is very competent.
07-27-2020, 04:35 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Given the Fujifilm is a mirrorless camera and the K-new is DSLR, wouldn't that necessitate a different sensor or a derivation of the Sony sensor used by Fuji?
No. A mirrorless camera is just a DSLR stripped off viewfinder to see through the lens and with an added second mini display as surrogate.

If the camera has one big display or one big display plus a tiny one doesn't affect the sensor requirements. See Canon 1DXIII and R6, which share the same sensor.
07-27-2020, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pretty sure it is at the micro-lens level that on-sensor PDAF is achieved. Same silicon and Ricoh spec'd micro-lens would tick the 'new' and 'designed for' descriptions.
07-27-2020, 05:18 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I'm still wowed by the images of my k-5II over my k-3II.
Maybe I need to do some comparisons between my K5iis and K3. I stopped using the K5iis after getting the K3. There's other aspects I like, such as dual SD cards, but now you have me curious about the IQ. I've been really impressed with the IQ of the K3 combined with the DFA 150-450.
07-27-2020, 05:39 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
There is no way they could get a huge improvement over the KP; the KP is just that good.
There is no way they would back slide either; Ricoh Imaging is very competent.
I agree, if Ricoh could somehow get a big improvement over the KP in terms of image quality that would be a huge feat. It's one of, if not the best, APS-C cameras in terms of performance on the market. Really looking forward to see what they can come up with though, certainly an exciting time!
07-27-2020, 06:31 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K70 uses a sensor designed for mirrorless. Sony is rumored to be no longer developing new sensors without onboard pdaf built in. On the k70 it allows continuous autofocus during video if I recall correctly. The KP may also use a similar sensor, I can't recall.
07-27-2020, 06:57 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
Pretty sure it is at the micro-lens level that on-sensor PDAF is achieved. Same silicon and Ricoh spec'd micro-lens would tick the 'new' and 'designed for' descriptions.
I too was thinking about some kind of customization of an existing sensor, offered by the sensor manufacturer to its customers.
07-27-2020, 07:42 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

No. A mirrorless camera is just a DSLR stripped off viewfinder to see through the lens and with an added second mini display as surrogate.
Truth ^ ^ ^

Steve