Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 93 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2020, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They was a rumour last year that the sensor was a 26mp Sony one.

07-27-2020, 08:14 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The out-of-left-field move is to take the ridiculous chip in the Sharp 8K camera (33 MP in MFT-ish 16:9 size) and make a 50MP+ APS-C camera with it.

I kid, I kid, but that would be fun *and* would shut everyone else up real quick about "ooh but my ten year old tech".
07-27-2020, 10:39 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
That language doesn't contradict using the 26 MPx sensor in the 1800 EUR Fuji XT4.
I have a question about the OSPD. If the sensor is capable of phase detect auto focus on a dslr, does it still need a separate auto focus sensor? Is the light passing though the mirror not enough to use OSPD?
07-27-2020, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #34
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
They was a rumour last year that the sensor was a 26mp Sony one.
very weak rumor...I think
IMX571 is only one sensor with higher resolution than 24 MP which in use....but it's not new sensor
and for consumer cameras...

there is also http://thenewcamera.com/sony-32-mp-aps-c-cmos-sensor-spotted/ better sensor

Last edited by ogl; 07-27-2020 at 12:14 PM.
07-27-2020, 11:19 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
IMX571 is only one sensor with higher resolution than 24 MP....but it's not new sensor

there is also Sony 32 MP APS-C CMOS Sensor Spotted « NEW CAMERA better sensor
Yes the IMX571 was the rumored sensor. The rumor was they were using the same sensor as Fujifilm had already used.
07-27-2020, 11:33 AM   #36
Pentaxian

New could mean new to Pentax, or a new revision of an existing sensor.
But, who cares... the image quality will be at least up there.
07-27-2020, 11:42 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
IMX571 is only one sensor with higher resolution than 24 MP....but it's not new sensor

there is also Sony 32 MP APS-C CMOS Sensor Spotted « NEW CAMERA better sensor
Another candidate. Cool. I come back and this thing is 3 pages long, heh. Where is Asahi Man when you need him? Defected to DPR? Ugh! Oh well, he probably couldn't give specifics on this anyway...

Oh well, it is fun to spitball what it might be. I personally hope that if they did a big improvement to the data bus, the A/F and buffer, that it doesn't all just end up business as usual and get eaten up by a giant sensor.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to go the other direction either, I'm not a fan of the output I've seen from the D500's 20MP sensor, it just doesn't have "it"... but 26 to 32MP at least would seem within reason, like something that Fuji has proven that a reasonable buffer can sorta handle 26MP at 15FPS... with 38 Frames RAW and 110 Frames JPG on the Mechanical shutter, of if you slow it down to 8FPS, you can get up to 8 fps at 26.1 MP for up to 49 Frames (Raw) / 200 Frames (JPEG).

Eric

07-27-2020, 11:54 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Another candidate. Cool. I come back and this thing is 3 pages long, heh. Where is Asahi Man when you need him? Defected to DPR? Ugh! Oh well, he probably couldn't give specifics on this anyway...

Oh well, it is fun to spitball what it might be. I personally hope that if they did a big improvement to the data bus, the A/F and buffer, that it doesn't all just end up business as usual and get eaten up by a giant sensor.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to go the other direction either, I'm not a fan of the output I've seen from the D500's 20MP sensor, it just doesn't have "it"... but 26 to 32MP at least would seem within reason, like something that Fuji has proven that a reasonable buffer can sorta handle 26MP at 15FPS... with 38 Frames RAW and 110 Frames JPG on the Mechanical shutter, of if you slow it down to 8FPS, you can get up to 8 fps at 26.1 MP for up to 49 Frames (Raw) / 200 Frames (JPEG).

Eric
Haven’t heard anything from @Mistral75 since July 16th either.
07-27-2020, 01:50 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Just FYI, it's vacation season in France. Mid-July to mid-August is a classic period for it. My wife will have all of August off this year.

And I would bet on a 24-26 MP sensor for the new body. 24 MP was very nice for me on my old K-3 and I do not see any real need for more MPs ... better DR and low light performance would be very welcome. I have never shot with a KP since I went FF with the K-1, but it would be fun to try one out and compare it to my memories of previous APS-C Pentax bodies ... a K-7, then K-5 (which I still have), then K-3.

I just bought a X-T3 and liking a lot of what I have seen so far. And I have a Fuji shooting friend that had a X-T2 (24 MP) before upgrading to a X-T3 (26 MP) ... he tells me that he sees no real difference between the two sensors. Point => I think that APS-C has long ago hit its "comfort zone" with the 24-ish MP level. We see ...
07-27-2020, 02:16 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
he tells me that he sees no real difference between the two sensors.
They are close,the big difference between t3/2 is the speed and moving picture capability.You are going to have lots of fun!Dont be afraid of the cheap end glass,its very good as long as you are careful with the plastic mount.
07-27-2020, 02:27 PM - 5 Likes   #41
Pentaxian

Hi there!
07-27-2020, 02:28 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax is designing in-house lenses for much higher resolution than is available on current generation sensors. I believe we are in a trasnition where Pentax intends to leap to the forefront with an entirely new architecture rather than continue to incremental improve the old technology. Subsequent bodies (FF, 645) will improve on these advances, so a series of dramatic improevements. This statement gives some credence to my belief.

I believe they are only telling us some of the changes. What does new imaging engine mean? What does a new Accelerator Unit do? What changes to AF (we pretty much know they have a new AF sensor). Would they do all this and not improve throughput? Will they abandon Socionext (new Imaging engine)? Will the sensor choice allow better video?

Unfortunately there are more questions now, not fewer.

Reading that I'm trhinking back to the evident excitement amongst the Ricoh staff when the camera was first being shown - there's more than a new viewfinder under the bonnet, that's for sure.
07-27-2020, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #43
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZeljkoS Quote
... I think the new K will be an evolution, improvement in all areas, like K-3 was over K-5.
Pentax people said that it won't be that. It will be a completely new camera. Not an evolutionary step from the K-3.
07-27-2020, 04:46 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Pentax people said that it won't be that. It will be a completely new camera. Not an evolutionary step from the K-3.
That's what I heard too. New architecture new slimmer body new focus module, definitely not evolutionary but revolutionary! Not to mention the brighter bigger prism.

Last edited by Larrymc; 07-27-2020 at 04:53 PM.
07-27-2020, 05:22 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
No. A mirrorless camera is just a DSLR stripped off viewfinder to see through the lens and with an added second mini display as surrogate.

If the camera has one big display or one big display plus a tiny one doesn't affect the sensor requirements. See Canon 1DXIII and R6, which share the same sensor.
I think this is an oversimplification of reality. A mirrorless camera has a different AF system. It doesn't have a mirror that reflects the light to another sensor which is then used to determine correct focus. Mirrorless cameras use a phase detection AF system. Some would argue that this has certain disadvantages including image degradation.
I wouldn't be surprised if the sensor used in the K-new was a "new" hybrid design based on the Sony 26MP sensor but tailored for Ricoh's need for DSLR use.

---------- Post added 07-27-20 at 05:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The K70 uses a sensor designed for mirrorless. Sony is rumored to be no longer developing new sensors without onboard pdaf built in. On the k70 it allows continuous autofocus during video if I recall correctly. The KP may also use a similar sensor, I can't recall.
I think this points towards improved video for the K-new. Possibly 4K, continuous AF, IBIS and new KAF4 lenses. That would be a satisfactory upgrade.

---------- Post added 07-27-20 at 05:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
Pretty sure it is at the micro-lens level that on-sensor PDAF is achieved. Same silicon and Ricoh spec'd micro-lens would tick the 'new' and 'designed for' descriptions.
I tend to agree with you phoebus.