Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2020, 03:59 PM   #91
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,553
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Yep, that's the one, by no means do I think Pentax is using that sensor, this is just to stimulate discussion in a speculative thread. We've all seen what Pentax can get out of a Sony Sensor.
While a fun mental exercise, it's not really the point of this thread (I should know, I started it, LOL! )

If I was going to really have a wind-up about FF, I'd be asking if we think they could use the A7RIV 61mp sensor in the next K-1 MkIII or whatever, but please start a different thread for that one, it's all yours, heh.

This thread is speculation based on Pentax's statement of what available "new" sensors are currently available for the K-New APSC Flagship, most likely from Sony, that would be eligible and most likely to fit the verbal description in the recent Pentax video about improved IQ even at ISO100, etc. etc.

Eric

07-28-2020, 04:13 PM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hampstead, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,895
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote

This thread is speculation based on Pentax's statement of what available "new" sensors are currently available for the K-New APSC Flagship, most likely from Sony, that would be eligible and most likely to fit the verbal description in the recent Pentax video about improved IQ even at ISO100, etc. etc.

Eric
Do we really know what new sensors might be available? It's all speculative.
07-28-2020, 04:14 PM   #93
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 38,784
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Yep, that's the one, by no means do I think Pentax is using that sensor, this is just to stimulate discussion in a speculative thread. We've all seen what Pentax can get out of a Sony Sensor.
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I thought the point of this thread was to guess at the sensor Pentax will be using in the Knew, not sensors that are definitely not going to be used...
I think that may well be his point. This thread was misplaced and should have been in general photography since its topic is neither news nor rumor, but is speculation. In fact, it is not even new speculation. Other than being FF, there is no reason why Pentax would not be using the sensor from the A7S III over any other available chip. It makes as much sense and perhaps more sense than the 43Mpx sensor suggested in the original post.

FWIW, my take on the video is that they said that the sensor would be new to Pentax and that performance would be as good as APS-C is capable of. At least, that is how it came across in English. Allowing for a little breadth of understanding, I suspect they said that performance will be excellent.


Steve
07-28-2020, 05:16 PM   #94
dbs
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Clare Valley S A
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,506
Since spec is in., why not a new lower megapickle sensor but with better video and stills performance.that higher megapickles can not obtain at the minute.

07-28-2020, 06:24 PM   #95
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,256
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
the A7RIV 61mp
That wafer is the Fuji 26mp and 102mp,so it may be in the K-Next?Alternatively,the 24mp in the 3 latest Sony crop bodies?
07-28-2020, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #96
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 960
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Often with photos people mix up input maximum dynamic range, that is what a sensor can detect, and data storage, like bits. And third the output dynamic range like prints or screens.
Add to the mix the color space they are processing the raw files into. So when they output a color into a color space it can fall outside of the 0-255 values of that container and thus think it clips in the raw data


Here you can see the published lab values in ColorcheckerSG target color plotted in a s RGB color space. everyone of those dots that fall outside of that color space would show up as greater than 255 or less than 0 but this does not mean that it somehow has been clipped in a raw file, it has been clipped within the processing of the image

People have to be careful when they say that a tonal value that fall nears the RGB value of 255 is blown out. it is the processing of that data into a color space that can lead someone think it is somehow clipped.
A luminosity value of 95% can be 202,202,202 while in another color space it can be 226,226,226

If I was to show someone this

Looking at where and how these colors falls where within the 0-255 container it would lead you to believe in the wrong assumption as all the pixels fall at 255

while in this color space there is no problems with how it falls within that container as none fall in 255 range.

We really have to be careful when trying to plot a tonal range within a color space as this can mislead someone into thinking something that is not there. And we should really only view raw data from the camera as based on the saturation capacity of that raw container and not into a working color space as raw really has not lightness its just measured values with a filter in front of them..

Last edited by Ian Stuart Forsyth; 07-28-2020 at 09:14 PM.
07-28-2020, 09:20 PM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,010
Just for fun... If you want to check your lcd contrast ratio directly...

Contrast ratio - Lagom LCD test
07-28-2020, 09:57 PM   #98
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 38,784
QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
Here you can see the published lab values in ColorcheckerSG target color plotted in a s RGB color space. everyone of those dots that fall outside of that color space would show up as greater than 255 or less than 0 but this does not mean that it somehow has been clipped in a raw file, it has been clipped within the processing of the image
That is why one evaluates the voltages from the RAW (no color space) and not the rendered image. RAWDigger will tell if there is clipping.


Steve

07-29-2020, 07:25 AM   #99
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,553
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think that may well be his point. This thread was misplaced and should have been in general photography since its topic is neither news nor rumor, but is speculation. In fact, it is not even new speculation. Other than being FF, there is no reason why Pentax would not be using the sensor from the A7S III over any other available chip. It makes as much sense and perhaps more sense than the 43Mpx sensor suggested in the original post.

FWIW, my take on the video is that they said that the sensor would be new to Pentax and that performance would be as good as APS-C is capable of. At least, that is how it came across in English. Allowing for a little breadth of understanding, I suspect they said that performance will be excellent.


Steve
Balderdash! Rumors HAVE to start somewhere... and they are usually based on speculation or insider info... The Pentax video contained NEWS, which is a specific enough bit of info to discuss here, and that should be easy enough to narrow down. New sensor, new accelerator, new dual card slots, better IQ, even at ISO100 etc. etc.. That leaves looking at what new sensors, most likely Sony if Asahi Man is to be believed, are available of recent announcements, that fit the bill. I've see a LOT THINNER stuff posted here as gospel. There are only so many options from Sony, it's all pretty public knowledge with patents and all, so the question is just which one?

Eric
07-29-2020, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #100
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 38,784
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Balderdash! Rumors HAVE to start somewhere... and they are usually based on speculation or insider info...
Forum rules for this section of the site. To quote specifically:

QuoteQuote:
As a reminder, our News and Rumors forum is only for the discussion of confirmed Pentax or Pentax-related news as well as credible rumors.

All general speculation as well as news not directly related to Pentax is to be posted in our General Photography and Industry forum:
General Photography and Industry - PentaxForums.com
Example topics: "I think Pentax should release x..." "What if Pentax did y" "Canon released z, what now?"
Speculative threads belong elsewhere! - PentaxForums.com

Normally, the mods pick this sort of thing up early, but this one apparently slipped through.


Steve
07-29-2020, 08:49 AM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,497
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Forum rules for this section of the site. To quote specifically:



Speculative threads belong elsewhere! - PentaxForums.com

Normally, the mods pick this sort of thing up early, but this one apparently slipped through.


Steve
If the rule were to be properly enforced we would see the locking of every thread in the section after three pages, tops
07-29-2020, 08:53 AM   #102
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 38,784
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
If the rule were to be properly enforced we would see the locking of every thread in the section after three pages, tops
So true! I believe it pertains to the original post, for obvious reasons!


Steve
07-29-2020, 09:52 AM - 3 Likes   #103
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,553
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Forum rules for this section of the site. To quote specifically:



Speculative threads belong elsewhere! - PentaxForums.com

Normally, the mods pick this sort of thing up early, but this one apparently slipped through.


Steve
I gave 2 criteria in that post, you chose to quote only the one that didn't fit your view. The forum title is not JUST rumors, it's news and rumors, the part I quoted from the video subtitles that I hadn't seen discussed yet IS NEWS, the speculative part is the discussion of the part I quoted, and if you go back and read my initial post, at the bottom is a note to moderators from the minute I hit post, not added later.

Why is everyone so testy lately? Hey, I've been locked up in isolation too, but I still try to have a sense of humor and have a few laughs with my forum friends here. No reason to blow things up. Peace!

Eric
07-29-2020, 10:38 AM - 2 Likes   #104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Working From Home
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,240
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I do wish I had a sarcasm emoji.
Ask and you shall receive. brap
07-29-2020, 11:41 AM   #105
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 38,784
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
at the bottom is a note to moderators from the minute I hit post, not added later.
You may notice that the thread has been given a new home.


Steve
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, business, camera, cameras, display, image, iphone, k70, market, mirrorless, pdaf, pentax news, pentax rumors, photo industry, photography, pm, sales, sensor, sensors, smartphone, sony, system, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New APSC Pentax by early 2016, using Sony A7000 sensor? falconeye Pentax News and Rumors 857 03-24-2016 08:45 PM
Samsung said revenues to fall by 20.5% & profits would drop 59.8%. Winder Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 14 10-07-2014 06:27 PM
iPhone 6 Said to Feature Sony's 13-Megapixel Exmor IMX220 Camera Sensor jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 4 07-22-2014 07:35 AM
New APSC/FF sensor news beginning to take shape... JohnBee Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 4 07-06-2011 04:11 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:52 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top