Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 93 Likes Search this Thread
07-26-2020, 03:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax said in video it would use new gen apsc sensor

So this new 43mp Sony sensor linked below was leaked in Feb, is it too new to be in the plans, or could this be "The One"? Is it even for real? Or do you think Ricoh will go lower resolution in deference of speed like some of the 20mp competition?

New Sony APS-C sensor delivers 43MP and 8K 12-bit video?*if it's real | Digital Camera World

Edit, if watching the part 2 Ricoh video with English subtitles it is said at the 10minute 28 second mark, just for reference:

"To improve the image quality, we equipped the camera with brand new components, including the image sensor, image engine and accelerator unit. All of these components were newly designed and developed for this camera"

That is some pretty specific language right there... got me a little excited, any one else? He did say "To improve the image quality" not to improve the speed, so I am guessing either a latest generation 24mp sensor, or something new like the linked 43mp... not something smaller like the 20mp sensor in some of the competition.

If this thread is inappropriate the moderators can feel free to delete, no hard feelings, just having fun and genuinely curious.
Eric

Last edited by Erictator; 07-26-2020 at 03:35 PM.
07-26-2020, 03:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting guess. Usually we can look to Nikon and Sony to see what they have used in their cameras. Maybe the K-new will buck that trend.
07-26-2020, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe it’s not even a Sony
07-26-2020, 03:51 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
So this new 43mp Sony sensor linked below was leaked in Feb, is it too new to be in the plans, or could this be "The One"? Is it even for real? Or do you think Ricoh will go lower resolution in deference of speed like some of the 20mp competition?

New Sony APS-C sensor delivers 43MP and 8K 12-bit video?*if it's real | Digital Camera World

Edit, if watching the part 2 Ricoh video with English subtitles it is said at the 10minute 28 second mark, just for reference:

"To improve the image quality, we equipped the camera with brand new components, including the image sensor, image engine and accelerator unit. All of these components were newly designed and developed for this camera"

That is some pretty specific language right there... got me a little excited, any one else? He did say "To improve the image quality" not to improve the speed, so I am guessing either a latest generation 24mp sensor, or something new like the linked 43mp... not something smaller like the 20mp sensor in some of the competition.

If this thread is inappropriate the moderators can feel free to delete, no hard feelings, just having fun and genuinely curious.
Eric
It's hard to imagine how an APSC sensor packed with 43MP could have better Image Quality than one with 24-30MP??
And it's easy to imagine a host of processing problems, and expense, trying to deal with 43MP of data?
So a 43MP sensor is unlikely to materialize in my book.

07-26-2020, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax is designing in-house lenses for much higher resolution than is available on current generation sensors. I believe we are in a trasnition where Pentax intends to leap to the forefront with an entirely new architecture rather than continue to incremental improve the old technology. Subsequent bodies (FF, 645) will improve on these advances, so a series of dramatic improevements. This statement gives some credence to my belief.

I believe they are only telling us some of the changes. What does new imaging engine mean? What does a new Accelerator Unit do? What changes to AF (we pretty much know they have a new AF sensor). Would they do all this and not improve throughput? Will they abandon Socionext (new Imaging engine)? Will the sensor choice allow better video?

Unfortunately there are more questions now, not fewer.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-26-2020 at 04:07 PM.
07-26-2020, 04:13 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It also goes on to say:

"In terms of numerical figures, such as the number of total recording pixels, you can pretty much expect what the camera's APS-C-format sensor can do.

This image-processing unit, however, has been advanced to such a level that you can expect greatly improved image quality, even at sensitivity as low as ISO 100."

All of these components were newly designed and developed for this camera"
If you are correct and if this referred to the sensor then the new 43mp Sony sensor must have been developed for Pentax. I find that unlikely.
07-26-2020, 04:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing is that in the other thread people have apparently assumed that "image processor" and "improved IQ at ISO 100" means the Accelerator will work from base ISO. I just took it as a faster, more efficient PRIME than what is found in the previous cameras. That can mean anywhere from improved sharpening algorithms to better colour reproduction to faster buffer clearing, I guess.

Let's wait and see, it won't be long.

07-26-2020, 06:39 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I'm not sure I would want 43mp on APS-C!

Irrespective of the mp count, I find it very surprising that any sensor has been "newly designed and developed for this camera". Pentax has always taken existing sensors in the past and tweaked them to their own liking (with great success).
07-26-2020, 07:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
It also goes on to say:"In terms of numerical figures, such as the number of total recording pixels, you can pretty much expect what the camera's APS-C-format sensor can do.This image-processing unit, however, has been advanced to such a level that you can expect greatly improved image quality, even at sensitivity as low as ISO 100."
You are quite correct and I'm sure there was a reason why this was referred to specifically in answering a very general question.
07-26-2020, 08:27 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No more Mega Pixels please...
07-26-2020, 08:39 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm of the opinion, that a sensor just revealed in February is far too new to be in the new body. But I have no direct insight.
07-26-2020, 09:07 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
Usually we can look to Nikon and Sony to see what they have used in their cameras. Maybe the K-new will buck that trend.
Seems that with that camera, Ricoh is trying something that has not been done by Pentax for a long time - leading also with specs. I do believe the Knew will buck the trend, but I don't believe a brand new 2020 sensor will be used. Probably the sensor had to be decided on long before.
07-26-2020, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Has anyone else noticed that card slot 1 on the K new is wider towards the top and narrows at the bottom?

Could this slot possibly accept two card types, SD and CFExpress type A slot?
Attached Images

07-26-2020, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

24-28 Mp IMO.
07-26-2020, 10:18 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
Has anyone else noticed that card slot 1 on the K new is wider towards the top and narrows at the bottom?

Could this slot possibly accept two card types, SD and CFExpress type A slot?
It looks just like the #2 slot on my K-3 when viewed from the same angle. The body contour is getting in the way. What I would note is that the designations are reversed. On the K-3, the #1 is towards the front and the #2 towards the back.

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
24-28 Mp IMO.
Agreed.

Steve