Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2020, 02:29 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The accelerator isn't "noise reduction processing".
That one should be discussed IMO

07-28-2020, 02:32 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
What does it do then? The one on the KP/K-1ii does exactly that AFAICT.
There's a dedicated thread to this subject, but a short answer is that we don't know exactly...
Acceleration Chip (K1mkII, KP and K70) - What's the Difference - PentaxForums.com

The accelerator only applying NR is a convenient assumption for those who don't like it.
OTOH, some noise processing is done by the PRIME.
07-28-2020, 02:45 AM   #63
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh says it's noise reduction officially

Features2 | PENTAX K-70 | RICOH IMAGING
Thanks to the combination of the PRIME MII imaging engine and a newly developed accelerator unit that effectively suppresses noise

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-1-2/feature/index.html
To reproduce lively colors and rich gradations close to memory colors in all sensitivity ranges, the PENTAX K-1 Mark II newly incorporates an original accelerator unit, which efficiently processes image signals output by the image sensor before sending them to the imaging engine. This process upgrades both image resolution and color reproduction in a high-sensitivity range, while drastically reducing noise compared to the PENTAX K-1. It also helps bring the camera's top sensitivity up to ISO 819200 (at standard output sensitivity) for high-grade, super-high-sensitivity photography

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/kp/feature/index.html
By coupling the PRIME IV imaging engine with the exceptional data processing performance of its accelerator unit, the PENTAX KP achieves high-level noise reduction to realize flawless, high-speed operation as well as super-high-sensitivity, high-resolution imaging.

Last edited by ogl; 07-28-2020 at 02:52 AM.
07-28-2020, 02:50 AM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Noise reduction....Features2 | PENTAX K-70 | RICOH IMAGING
Thanks to the combination of the PRIME MII imaging engine and a newly developed accelerator unit that effectively suppresses noise
Read at least the first post in the dedicated thread... there are some more detailed quotes.
Can a mere NR upgrade "both image resolution and color reproduction"?

To be clear: I'm not saying there isn't any form of noise processing. What I'm saying is the accelerator isn't noise processing. It's much more than that.

07-28-2020, 02:55 AM   #65
ogl
Banned

The accelerator only applying NR is a convenient assumption for those who don't like it.
It efficiently processes image signals output by the image sensor BEFORE sending them to the imaging engine
07-28-2020, 02:55 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Didn't they say in the video that K-new has better image quality than FF? As there is only one Pentax FF camera it may be better than the K-1....
07-28-2020, 02:55 AM   #67
ogl
Banned

Read at least the first post in the dedicated thread... there are some more detailed quotes.

To be clear: I'm not saying there isn't any form of noise processing. What I'm saying is the accelerator isn't noise processing. It's much more than that.
Yes. Not ONLY noise reduction. Agreed.

07-28-2020, 03:01 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sure it isn't. It makes coffee...
07-28-2020, 03:04 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It efficiently processes image signals output by the image sensor BEFORE sending them to the imaging engine
I remember them stating in an interview that the PRIME also does some high-level noise processing.
07-28-2020, 03:06 AM - 1 Like   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's a dedicated thread to this subject, but a short answer is that we don't know exactly...
Acceleration Chip (K1mkII, KP and K70) - What's the Difference - PentaxForums.com

Ah, I see that you already replied to others. I know it doesn't only apply NR, but I thought you were saying it did not apply NR at all . Wording I guess? English is whack sometimes (particularly if I have the language chip set to something else ).
07-28-2020, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #71
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Maybe I need to do some comparisons between my K5iis and K3. I stopped using the K5iis after getting the K3. There's other aspects I like, such as dual SD cards, but now you have me curious about the IQ. I've been really impressed with the IQ of the K3 combined with the DFA 150-450.
For me, features wise and AF, K-3II. Image quality K-5II.
07-28-2020, 04:38 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Much more than that. My KP also provides much more dynamic range and color fidelity at higher ISO values than would be expected at those levels.
07-28-2020, 05:13 AM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Much more than that. My KP also provides much more dynamic range and color fidelity at higher ISO values than would be expected at those levels.
Reducing noise has the effect of increasing color fidelity because you are not seeing purple splorches of, well, noise . Dynamic range is a weird one, since it mostly depends on how much detail you get from the shadows... which is again influenced by noise. The accelerator certainly does a better job than "typical" NR applied in, say, Lightroom and to me it seems to be doing some "reconstruction" of the image, but I don't know how much of the improvement is completely unrelated to noise management.
07-28-2020, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Didn't they say in the video that K-new has better image quality than FF? As there is only one Pentax FF camera it may be better than the K-1....
I expect it to be better IQ than my K-1. The K-P with the accelerator chip is already on par as far as I can tell.
The reasons for using the K-1 will be Narrow DoF, Dynamic range perhaps, and slightly more resolution.

The FF will move ahead again when the new FF comes out with the new accelerator chip in it.

Last edited by normhead; 07-28-2020 at 07:07 AM.
07-28-2020, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I expect it to be better IQ than my K-1. The K-P with the accelerator chip is already on par as far as I can tell.
The reasons for using he K-1 will be Narrow DoF, Dynamic range perhaps, and slightly more resolution.

The FF will move ahead again when the new FF comes out with the new accelerator chip in it.
Agreed. I think the $64K question will be the pixel density of the next ***FF-new vs/ K-new... because for long tele work, if the FF-New will have higher pixel density in crop mode than the soon to be released K-new, I know which one I would want...as long as the CPU and Mem can keep up, the only issue is I'm not sure I'll be willing to wait for the FF-new at their current pace, (life is too short) so I might resign myself to having to have both, or selling the K-new when the FF-new comes out if I decide I want it more. LOL!

***Come on Ricoh, at least release some names so we don't have to type in code! LOL!