Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2020, 02:02 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Tony N. bashing mirroless for sports/wildlife, asking for hybrid OVF

Some fun read from internet influencas:

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Northrup:
but we found one major drawback to the evfs yeah when you're taking wildlife photos or sports photos probably as well things are moving so quickly in the scene that the evf can't keep up there's lag and there's blackout yeah when i switched to shooting sports with the a9 i found this to be a real problem if you're trying to capture a header in sports i found that i was getting shots just after the header happened yeah coming from like a nikon d500 an slr i realized i was seeing everything with just a tiny bit of lag but it meant that i had to retrain myself i had to start pushing the button the shutter button before the event happened like anticipation of it happening yeah um but that lag was even more of a problem when you had a radically moving subjects like a swallow a small bird that dives back and forth it's very hard to keep in the viewfinder anyway but when you're seeing stuff slightly shifted in the past even if it's like .05 seconds behind it becomes so much harder to keep it in the frame well the longer i'm tracking a subject the more disorienting it comes so if there's a bird diving to catch a fish the farther i'm doing it the more i lose track of what's happening outside of my camera and i've tried shooting with both eyes open and i just decided it's not for me i just use a nikon d850 and i have ovf and i'm seeing everything in real time i need that i like that i think they can make a hybrid dslr that has an electronic viewfinder for reviewing photos i love the evf in certain instances but not for fast action
The Canon R5 reveals the FUTURE: Our 2020 camera predictions (Picture This! Photography Podcast) - YouTube
From 11:21 min.

Last edited by beholder3; 08-09-2020 at 11:12 AM.
08-09-2020, 04:04 AM - 8 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Whaaat? You mean to tell me that mirrorless cameras are not a straight upgrade over those Cretacic mirror-slappers? Nonsense! I suggest you head to the DPR comment sections, where they'll gladly tell you how it's impossible to take photos with a DSLR and the last 50 years were a fluke.
08-09-2020, 04:08 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
i've tried shooting with both eyes open and i just decided it's not for me
No, Sony, it's not because of you. It's because with an OVF the focal plane of your eye lies where the subject is and not a couple of cm into the camera. Since your eyes can't focus independently of each other, every time you take your eye off the EVF to look at your subject, you have to refocus. No such need with an OVF.

In all fairness, this is about the only issue that an EVF can not be cured of, period. All the other stuff (the lag, the blackout, etc) I think will be remedied over time.
08-09-2020, 06:09 AM - 5 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MetalUndivided Quote
In all fairness, this is about the only issue that an EVF can not be cured of, period. All the other stuff (the lag, the blackout, etc) I think will be remedied over time.
In about 5 years? I've been on this forum more than 10 years now. When I joined EVFs were going to be better than the human eye in 5 years...

08-09-2020, 07:08 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
In about 5 years? I've been on this forum more than 10 years now. When I joined EVFs were going to be better than the human eye in 5 years...
I'm not going to give any specific numbers, but the growing pains will end. 10 or even 5 years ago wirrorless were still mostly marginal with DSLRs still occupying the vast majority of the professional market. Now that Canikon are ditching their DSLRs in favour of mirrorless, their development will accelerate rapidly.
08-09-2020, 08:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Some fun read from internet influencas:
Gosh one feels so sorry for the poor stiff.
08-09-2020, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not going to give any specific numbers, but the growing pains will end. 10 or even 5 years ago wirrorless were still mostly marginal with DSLRs still occupying the vast majority of the professional market. Now that Canikon are ditching their DSLRs in favour of mirrorless, their development will accelerate rapidly.
Unless sensors get to a point where the readout speed is... well, instant, you are gonna have lag. And that's assuming you can instantaneously transfer the image from the sensor to the EVF. It can probably be brought down to a manageable level (high quality monitors have very low input lag after all) but it's never gonna be as fast as an OVF, although the mirrorless of course won't have to get the mirror out of the way once you actually get to pressing the shutter...

08-09-2020, 09:17 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am sorry to read that Tony suffers from the same problems I do when using an EVF.

Steve
08-09-2020, 09:49 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Given that I know of multiple MILC shooters who successfully shoot sports and wildlife, I just have to assume Tony lacks competency in doing this.
08-09-2020, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Whaaat? You mean to tell me that mirrorless cameras are not a straight upgrade over those Cretacic mirror-slappers? Nonsense! I suggest you head to the DPR comment sections, where they'll gladly tell you how it's impossible to take photos with a DSLR and the last 50 years were a fluke.
Perfect comment re: the reflexive, no-nothing Pentax dissing at DPR!
08-09-2020, 10:51 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Problem solved: I use a flux capacitor in my EVF which looks at the actual scene about 50ms into the future so that when I'm using it, it's showing the same view that an OVF would - drains the batteries awful fast though!
08-09-2020, 11:48 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

LCD screens have gotten MUCH better than they once were 10-20 years ago, but I still find it much easier, much less straining and much more pleasurable
to read lengthy text on the printed page than on the computer. I suspect the same will hold true for EVF technology. Yes, resolution will continue to improve.
And even if never quite instantaneous, response time may improve to the point where it is nearly unnoticeable. But I do question whether it will ever be as
easy on the eye as an OVF. Computers haven't eliminated the desire for books; I seriously doubt the desire for natural light optics in photography will go
away any time soon.

EVF offers a different experience than OVF but that doesn't mean it is necessarily better. Would you say the view of the world is better on youtube or
looking out your window?
08-09-2020, 11:57 AM - 12 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Would you say the view of the world is better on youtube or looking out your window?
Optical glass is so 1980s. At our house, we're thinking of replacing all the windows with 4K monitors wired to video cameras installed outside. Think of the advantages!

- Craig
08-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Think of the advantages!
On rainy days, you can play back some sunshine!

Yer power bill is gonna go up, though.
08-09-2020, 01:10 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Yer power bill is gonna go up, though.
Just like mirrorless cameras with EVFs! (see how I keep this post on topic?)

On the other hand, the views of green grass, leaves on trees, and flowers will look mighty fine in January.

- Craig