Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2020, 11:59 AM   #1

Last minute wish list for the upcoming K-new and software update for existing cameras

Pentax cameras has function to convert raw filesto tiff image (8bit) with Custom image settings applied.
So may wish is to addTIFF format as an output format in File Format in the Image Capture Settingswith ability to choose between 8bit or 16bit.

08-22-2020, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Until just now, I was unaware that the current TIFF option is saved as 8-bit. That seems a bit strange. An option to save as 16-bit makes more sense.

Steve
08-22-2020, 02:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you are going to make use of the advantage of 16 bit TIFF versus 8 bit TIFF then you would be better off using a raw converter on your computer that supports that.

I use Silkypix DSPro or ACR to convert my raw files to TIFF. I always select 16 bit conversion. I cannot see why I would want to do that in- camera?
08-22-2020, 03:38 PM   #4
jna

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
If you are going to make use of the advantage of 16 bit TIFF versus 8 bit TIFF then you would be better off using a raw converter on your computer that supports that.
I use Silkypix DSPro or ACR to convert my raw files to TIFF. I always select 16 bit conversion. I cannot see why I would want to do that in- camera?

I’d be glad to work with raw files directly, but there is a small problem - if I save my taken image as raw, computer based raw converters (including Silkypix) doesn’t ‘see’ custom settings added to the image in camera, just a pure raw.
So if I, for example, want to take an image with Monochrome Custom setting added, I have to save it as JPEG (loosy compression format) or in raw and then convert it in camera to Tiff for final tweaking.
Of course I can do conversion with Pentax DCU which‘sees’ my Custom settings applied, BUT the problem is that DCU use different conversion algorithms than in-camera converter with resulting in differently looking image.

08-22-2020, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jna Quote
I’d be glad to work with raw files directly, but there is a small problem - if I save my taken image as raw, computer based raw converters (including Silkypix) doesn’t ‘see’ custom settings added to the image in camera, just a pure raw.
ACR has in addition to its own Adobe profiles, Pentax Bright/Natural/Landscape/Portrait/Vibrant profiles. ACR has vastly more options for adjusting your image than what is "in-camera". Same goes for any raw converter

So if I, for example, want to take an image with Monochrome Custom setting added, I have to save it as JPEG (loosy compression format) or in raw and then convert it in camera to Tiff for final tweaking
ACR has 17 preset profiles for b+w conversion and that is before you even get to touch the sliders. In PS itself the b+w conversion can be done to 16 bit TIFF files with even more options.

You have so much more flexibility by processing the raw file in your computer. Convert it to 16 bit TIFF, then work on it in Photoshop before saving as a jpeg. Processing in camera to a TIFF in monochrome is limiting your options considerably

When you convert a raw file in-camera to a TIFF what colour space does it save as ?

Last edited by pschlute; 08-22-2020 at 04:33 PM.
08-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

BUT the problem is that DCU use different conversion algorithms than in-camera converter with resulting in differently looking image.
I will have to check that out. Conventional wisdom is that the processing is identical.

Steve
08-24-2020, 12:38 AM   #7
jna

Original Poster
Pentax(Ricoh) gives us a really good and powerful tools for in-camera image tweaking via Custom settings users of other camera brands may dream of only with one small catch – we may not save them in editable format. Let me explain – as long as I shoot my images without applying Custom setting and save my images in raw to do image tweaking on a computer later, everything is fine. Problems arise when I want to add Custom settings to the image during shooting and save the results in lossless editable format, for later tweaking on a computer, let’s say in raw. All raw converters will see a pure raw image only without Custom settings applied, whish is normal since Pentax(Ricoh) doesn’t cooperate with large software producers in that field. As far as I know Fuji shooters may import images taken in raw with Fuji film simulations applied in camera in to Lightroom and Lightroom will ‘see’ these simulations and will let further adjustments.
Pentax DCU ‘sees’ Custom settings applied to the image in Browse window only. As soon as image is transferred to Laboratory(editing) window, pure raw is opened without Custom settings applied.
The only way to save images taken with Custom settings applied so far is to convert them to Tiff files in the camera later. Problem is that there is no way to save them as 16bit Tiff – 8bit only. One may say that 16bit file is huge… that’s correct, but for today’s memory card capacities that’s not a problem I guess
Pentax DCU also offers convert raw file with Custom settings applied to the Tiff image from Browse window to 16bit of 8bit Tiff files with one small catch – they look different.
Here is a link to 5 images:
5 images | Files.fm.
Raw(DNG) (_IMG4299d),
JPEG from camera (_IMG4299j),
Tiff 8bit converted in camera (_IMG4299t-kp),
Tiff 8bit converted from Raw in DCU (_IMG4299t-8),
Tiff 16bit converted from Raw in DCU (_IMG4299t-16)

If you will compare camera tiffs with DCU tiffs, DCU tiffs are darker at least…

---------- Post added 08-24-20 at 01:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
When you convert a raw file in-camera to a TIFF what colour space does it save as ?
When converting in camera, colour space specified in settings is used - same as for images taken

08-24-2020, 02:51 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All raw converters will see a pure raw image only without Custom settings applied, whish is normal since Pentax(Ricoh) doesn’t cooperate with large software producers in that field
The Pentax in-camera settings, Bright;Natural etc are available in Adobe Camera Raw
08-24-2020, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Pentax DCU ‘sees’ Custom settings applied to the image in Browse window only. As soon as image is transferred to Laboratory(editing) window, pure raw is opened without Custom settings applied.
As with most (all?) Pentax in-camera processing options, the custom image settings are JPEG only. Expecting DCU to apply them automatically to a PEF or DNG ignores the fact that the default "bright" may not be what a user might want to use as a start point.* The same might apply to lens corrections. OTOH, very few people that shoot RAW use DCU, so it may be a toss-up. I also suspect that aside from the rare exception, very few RAW shooters use the in-camera processing options with any expectation of having them applied automatically anywhere other than the preview JPEG.

Edit: I was wrong in this regard. DCU does open the Laboratory view with all custom image settings applied by default. At least that is how it works in DCU v5.7.2. The OP need only save as 16-bit TIFF.

FWIW...Your desire appears to actually be a DCU feature request, not a camera feature request.

Steve

(...personally feel that the in-camera custom image feature is gimmicky and has a clunky interface...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-24-2020 at 04:33 PM. Reason: I was wrong...
08-24-2020, 03:15 PM   #10
jna

Original Poster
I’m not asking for aDCU’s functionality. I just want to get an image produced to my taste by cameraI own in better quality (Tiff 16bit) then JPEG or Tiff8bit for a final tweakingon a computer? Why I can get it in pure raw format and loosy JPEG or Tiff8bitonly, Why not as a Tiff 16bit?? When there are so many talks an videos abouthow hard engineers work on a new camera to satisfy photographers shootingexperience I see no sense in not offering ability to save already taken imagein a best available quality format…

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As with most (all?) Pentax in-camera processing options, the custom image settings are JPEG only. Expecting DCU to apply them automatically to a PEF or DNG ignores the fact that the default "bright" may not be what a user might want to use as a start point.
You’re correct, I may choose Cross processing,Bleached, Muted etc preset and tweak it more to may taste to get an image I preferAND I’m NOT allowed to save it in best available quality format and that’s weird….
08-24-2020, 05:39 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I’m not asking for aDCU’s functionality. I just want to get an image produced to my taste by cameraI own in better quality (Tiff 16bit) then JPEG or Tiff8bit for a final tweakingon a computer?
Sorry to have not properly understood you. My bad. I also got the DCU behavior wrong. My bad again... (I don't use DCU for RAW processing)

Your camera does not support other than 8-bit color for in-camera processing. The same is true for all other Pentax dSLRs.* It may be that the K-new does not have that limitation. If that is the case, it would be due to changes in the in-camera rendering hardware. This is not something that might be addressed in firmware and unlikely to be added unless it is already part of the K-new feature set.

As for your current options to have in-camera process settings if shooting RAW:
  • 8-bit JPEG or TIFF processed from 14-bit RAW in-camera
  • 8-bit JPEG, 8-bit TIFF, or 16-bit TIFF with custom image settings intact if processed through a recent version of DCU.** Load the RAW to DCU in browser mode and "save as with image processing..." to apply the in-camera settings to the RAW processing.
If the appearance of the rendered 16-bit TIFF on a computer monitor is different than the 8-bit JPEG on the camera rear LCD, that is to be expected.

Steve

* The 8-bit per channel restriction, weird or not, is not just Pentax. Nikon has the same limitation, even on their previous flagship D5 model (TIFF not supported on current flagship D6).

** I tested against DCU v5.7.2
08-24-2020, 10:34 PM   #12
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi JNA

I guess the functioning you want if possable ,you would fill an sd card with about 10 pictures per 32 gb card and a battery lasting 5 minutes because of the in-camera proccessing and triple the camera size.
I'm only guessing.

Dave
08-25-2020, 02:29 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi JNA

I guess the functioning you want if possable ,you would fill an sd card with about 10 pictures per 32 gb card and a battery lasting 5 minutes because of the in-camera proccessing and triple the camera size.
I'm only guessing.

Dave
What?
08-25-2020, 04:29 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi JNA

I'm only guessing.

Dave
That might be true if you're saving each frame of a movie as a 16-bit TIFF, and you have a camera with the power draw of a small house.

A 16-bit TIFF from a K-3's 24MP sensor is something like 130-140Mb, so you should be able to fit 225-250 on a 32Gb card.
08-25-2020, 04:34 AM   #15
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
That might be true if you're saving each frame of a movie as a 16-bit TIFF, and you have a camera with the power draw of a small house.

A 16-bit TIFF from a K-3's 24MP sensor is something like 130-140Mb, so you should be able to fit 225-250 on a 32Gb card.
Hi Thor

Just having a average day should have used an omoji with the tongue in cheek option.

Dave