Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2020, 07:41 AM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
No wonder as APS is good enough for most peoples needs.....
Still the old records are playing over and over again...
... FF is the future

09-21-2020, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, it is going to take over the world just like mirrorless....

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 09-21-2020 at 07:53 AM.
09-21-2020, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
No wonder as APS is good enough for most peoples needs.....
It sure is for my needs!
09-21-2020, 09:25 AM - 3 Likes   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure the shipped unit numbers are that meaningful. It really comes down to profit. Are they making enough to keep the Pentax line running relative to other investments they could make with that capital?
Leica is probably even further down the list in terms of shipped units. But it doesn't seem likely their camera business is going away.

09-24-2020, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
40,000 doesn’t look much but I don’t see reason to despair about this.

[...] if Ricoh can convince just 1% of them to try a Pentax, that would double their unit volume.
A fact often overlooked. Pentax doesn't need a mass defection from Canikon--a trickle of defectors here and there would be significant and healthy. And that's credible, given that the EU sales manager remarked that the KP sold to a lot of new-to-Pentax buyers.
QuoteQuote:
Whether this happens is largely dependent on how good the K-new is. It’s a ground-up redesign of the DSLR, and it’s probably going to be announced in about a month. So at this time, I feel that optimism is a more appropriate response than worrying about past market share.
Concur. Pentax has to hit the mark to make existing Pentax APSC customers want to upgrade, many of which are still using pre-KP and K-70 cameras. It sounds very much like they think they've done that, and I'm optimistic that they have.
traveler
10-02-2020, 03:50 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Announcement dates:
  • K-1: February 2016
  • K-70: June 2016
  • KP: January 2017
  • K-1 Mark II: February 2018
This is all you need to see really, it isn't really surprising that there numbers are so low. I can only hope that once they have a robust lens line-up that they will start having more frequent dslr releases.
10-02-2020, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
40000 is not bad for company that does not have any or minimal international marketing - at least I do not remember any here in EU. It's obvious that either Pentax is making money with those numbers, or is making gear that is good enough to be used not only in cameras. Otherwise Ricoh would have gone the way of Olympus long time ago and sold Pentax. But they are investing into company and making new gear, announcing timeline for new lenses etc.

If, as someone cited before Pentax is selling more then 1 or 2 lenses per camera it means that they have solid customer base that is not shrinking and that new cameras will have buyers - no matter how long it will take to sell production batch Pentax will earn money. Being niche is sometimes better financially then being big player. As as it seems that Pentax will have bigger profit margin on new camera (it will be a "bit" more expensive then expected) future looks even if not bright then good for company.

@Belnan - I do not think that we will see more frequent DSLR releases. Why should we? Market is shrinking, we may see upgrades of K-New, but not entirely new camera each few years. I may be wrong, would not be first nor last time, but if they release DSLRs more frequently who will buy them? With their marketshare? Having 2 or 3 solid DSLRs (K-1, K-New, 645) may be enough for Pentax.

10-02-2020, 06:39 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
Having 2 or 3 solid DSLRs (K-1, K-New, 645) may be enough for Pentax.
The 645Z is six years old and in need of an update if it is to remain in the running. Some say that Fujifilm is eating Pentax's medium format lunch.

Pentax 645Z - Wikipedia
10-02-2020, 08:38 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
The 645Z is six years old and in need of an update if it is to remain in the running. Some say that Fujifilm is eating Pentax's medium format lunch.

Pentax 645Z - Wikipedia
Some do say that. In terms of current sales they may be right, but Pentax got to the table quite a bit sooner. And on top of that, had a system in place at the start (since the Fuji MF cameras from film days were different animals).

My 645Z, which I got in 2014, is still performing splendidly in a professional setting. While I'd like to see certain upgrades, what are the ones you think it needs to "remain in the running"?
10-02-2020, 01:57 PM   #70
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
but Pentax got to the table quite a bit sooner.
And enjoyed munching away for a good while, until the Fuji cook got into the kitchen!

New menu,3 course meal,10 sealed bottles of fine wine later a whole lot of people from different eateries came for the dinner party!
10-02-2020, 11:23 PM - 1 Like   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote

Pentax 645Z - Wikipedia
If I had 4000 € lying around, I would immediately but a 645Z. Ricoh Europe are offering them. Fuji? Nah.
10-04-2020, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #72
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
If I had 4000 € lying around, I would immediately but a 645Z. Ricoh Europe are offering them. Fuji? Nah.
I'm the same, if I won the lottery ... and I definitely wouldn't be buying a camera like the Fuji with only Live View focus. That's a differentiator, the PDAF - I would be using it not just in a studio, not just on a tripod for a landscape. We had IIRC one forum member who went to either Fuji or Hassy then back again to the 645Z.

I'm not sure that I'd go for the 100Mp, either Pentax or Fuji. That's throwing away a differentiator for me, the big pixels.