Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2020, 07:09 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Tamron is extending the closure of two factories

QuoteQuote:
However, the global market has not yet recovered, and in consideration of the uncertainty of the future market environment, we will extend the partial closure or two out of three factories until the end of the year.
Tamron Extends Closure of Two Key Factories Due to Decreased Demand

I guess it is still all just a prelude to the big extinction wave.

09-22-2020, 08:19 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
maybe Tamron would have some increased demand if they still supported the K-Mount
09-22-2020, 08:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
maybe Tamron would have some increased demand if they still supported the K-Mount
Are you thinking of Sigma? I know Sigma said they weren't making any new K-mount lenses, but there are the Pentax lenses Tamron has partnered with Ricoh on, and I hadn't heard about them also discontinuing their Tamron badged K-mount lenses in current production, but perhaps I missed that?
09-22-2020, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Are you thinking of Sigma? I know Sigma said they weren't making any new K-mount lenses, but there are the Pentax lenses Tamron has partnered with Ricoh on, and I hadn't heard about them also discontinuing their Tamron badged K-mount lenses in current production, but perhaps I missed that?
I may be wrong too...
but I believe Tamron has essentially stopped K-Mount production.
Sigma may have announced it formally and Tamron hasn't, but it's effective in their new products marketed.
I have talked to both Sigma and Tamron reps at camera conventions and they both said that their new released lenses are not going to be made in K-Mount.
But idk for facts

09-22-2020, 09:07 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I may be wrong too...
but I believe Tamron has essentially stopped K-Mount production.
Sigma may have announced it formally and Tamron hasn't, but it's effective in their new products marketed.
I have talked to both Sigma and Tamron reps at camera conventions and they both said that their new released lenses are not going to be made in K-Mount.
But idk for facts
Bummer. I had been hopeful Tamron was keeping up production, but doesn't sound good. And from what I have seen, you're right about them not having their newest designs in K-mount. Maybe a flourish of sales for the K-new as people get tired of EVF lag and rendering and realize what they're missing by seeing life in real time with the new OVF will spur some 3rd party support.
09-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I must admit, when I saw this headline a couple days ago my first thought was, "Wow, Tamron has more than one factory?". Surely they are doing well if they
can close not one, but two! factories and still be making lenses in a third, (or more) factory.
09-22-2020, 11:07 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I must admit, when I saw this headline a couple days ago my first thought was, "Wow, Tamron has more than one factory?". Surely they are doing well if they
can close not one, but two! factories and still be making lenses in a third, (or more) factory.
The closed factories perform specific functions. One is for the fabrication of metal components that are part of a Tamron lens and the other was for the lenses/glass. One of the two (I think the metal fab) was also responsible for customer repairs so they may see a delay as well.

09-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tamron stopped selling their lenses in k-mount 7 or 8 years ago. I think they were the first to do this, AFAIK Sigma is the most recent to do this although they hung on for quite a while. While there is or is speculated a relationship between Tamron and Ricoh to issue Pentax lenses ? designed ? manufactured by Tamron, they just don't sell their lenses with k-mount anymore.
09-22-2020, 03:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I had been hopeful Tamron was keeping up production
They have a factory in Hanoi, Vietnam that assembles most/many Tamron lenses, including the Pentamron models. There's been no news about that plant shutting down.
09-23-2020, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My 15-30mm is labelled "Made in Japan", do they ship them 'round half-assembled for some finishing touch in Japan?
09-23-2020, 04:05 AM   #11
Forum Member

Well, we don't seem to live before a sea of glass, emanating from Zen islands, but of ever upsurged glass. Hopefully capitalism will last for markets to again be profitable, and all the freedom of photography will continue to be more vital than the freedom of using guns (which must be shot as restricted by their own users common sense, as such).
09-23-2020, 09:34 AM   #12
Pentaxian

People keep saying "glass is forever".
From what I see, people are always wanting the latest thing, so there are limited to how long we are willing to use lenses that don't have AF, etc adnauseum,
but the kernel of truth is that some of the lens needs of modern users can be met out of the store of used lenses - only so many go to the dump.
09-23-2020, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
My 15-30mm is labelled "Made in Japan", do they ship them 'round half-assembled for some finishing touch in Japan?
My mistake.

The new Pentamron zooms (24-70, 15-30) reviewed on PF show 'Made in Japan', but certainly the 70-210 shows 'Made in Vietnam'. I would guess the whole lens is assembled in one factory.

I could certainly imagine more Pentamron work (like the 15-30 and 24-70) shifting to Vietnam if some of the Tamron Japan plants go into deep-freeze.
09-23-2020, 04:08 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
My mistake.

The new Pentamron zooms (24-70, 15-30) reviewed on PF show 'Made in Japan', but certainly the 70-210 shows 'Made in Vietnam'. I would guess the whole lens is assembled in one factory.

I could certainly imagine more Pentamron work (like the 15-30 and 24-70) shifting to Vietnam if some of the Tamron Japan plants go into deep-freeze.
Don't know how long any manufacturer can keep making their lenses in Japan itself. Pentax were ahead of the time in doing the necessary changes for profitability reasons, the Big Boys are like headless chickens playing catchup!

Japanese TVs have been destroyed by first Korean then Chinese companies. Best to set your plants up overseas and get in first. Car manufacturers (and almost every other industry) understand this now.

Last edited by clackers; 09-23-2020 at 06:10 PM.
09-23-2020, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
I agree. My Pentax 24-70 F 2.8 Pentax...made by Tamron also has the Made in Japan engraving. I would say with some degree of confidence both the 15-30 and 24-70 are made in Japan, as the lens indicates.

---------- Post added 09-23-20 at 11:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Don't know how long any manufacturer can keep making their lenses in Japan itself. Pentax were ahead of the time in doing the necessary changes for profitability reasons, the Big Boys are like headless chickens playing catchup!

Japanese TVs have been destroyed by first Korean then Chinese companies. Best to set your plants up overseas and get in first. Car manufacturers (and almost every other industry) understand this now.
Quite right. The pattern.

Companies keep on looking for lowest cost to establish from different countries. I wonder which countries will eventually take over from China, Viet Nam, Philippines ?

Matter of time.