Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 107 Likes Search this Thread
10-06-2020, 10:57 AM   #61
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I asked the following at the start of this thread to try and understand the engineering costs involved by adding 4K and I received no answers.
The answer is easy. Both the sensor and the image processor chip must support 4K*. Pentax support could have started with the K-3 (has 4000 vertical pixels on the sensor), except that the image processor Pentax used only supported 1080p30 at best.

Steve

* Loosely defined, that means 4000 pixels vertical resolution.

10-06-2020, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The answer is easy. Both the sensor and the image processor chip must support 4K*. Pentax support could have started with the K-3 (has 4000 vertical pixels on the sensor), except that the image processor Pentax used only supported 1080p30 at best.

Steve

* Loosely defined, that means 4000 pixels vertical resolution.
And to be perfectly honest, it wouldn't hurt Pentax at all to get some zippier processors in their cameras just in general, forget about 4K. Write times on the K1 II have room for improvement... And dual UHSII card slots are kinda the norm today too. But I'd be happy with 1 UHSII card slot in a Pentax.
10-06-2020, 12:57 PM - 5 Likes   #63
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
And to be perfectly honest, it wouldn't hurt Pentax at all to get some zippier processors in their cameras just in general, forget about 4K. Write times on the K1 II have room for improvement... And dual UHSII card slots are kinda the norm today too. But I'd be happy with 1 UHSII card slot in a Pentax.
You shoot landscape, right? I guess there is some value in knowing the zip is there...just in case.*

Steve

* I am in the field doing long exposure waterfall work. Suddenly Sasquatch leaps down to the edge of an upstream pool. In the few seconds before I am noticed, I manage to quickly switch to 8K120 video mode, release the camera from the tripod, and catch 4 seconds of career-defining video before the beast snatches the camera from my hand and smashes it into my skull. As I lose consciousness, I am ever so glad it has an UHSII slot and compatible card inserted so I am confident that when my body and the camera are found, the video will have been safely written to card. Money well-spent. (Fade to black...)
10-06-2020, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #64
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

* I am in the field doing long exposure waterfall work. Suddenly Sasquatch leaps down to the edge of an upstream pool. In the few seconds before I am noticed, I manage to quickly switch to 8K120 video mode, release the camera from the tripod, and catch 4 seconds of career-defining video before the beast snatches the camera from my hand and smashes it into my skull. As I lose consciousness, I am ever so glad it has an UHSII slot and compatible card inserted so I am confident that when my body and the camera are found, the video will have been safely written to card. Money well-spent. (Fade to black...)
So pleased it was the Sasquatch and not the Cyclops, otherwise this might have been a one-eyed comment

10-06-2020, 02:42 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One persons observation.

10-06-2020, 06:23 PM - 2 Likes   #66
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Now! Back to the incredibly expensive and even more limited Zeiss ZX-1!

First question...why is a vlogger dedicated to video dedicating an inordinate amount of sarcasm (almost half the episode) on a subject his viewers couldn't be less interested in? Might it be that doing so was the easiest way to fill out the rest of a similarly vapid script where he confesses not knowing how to calculate card capacity for his work, the strengths of a card reader, the need for a four-color pen, and the coolness of a two TB card to use along with the card reader! Oh...and Panasonic is on the slope to irrelevance along with Pentax.

But wait! In case we missed it...Canon is the brand and he is their brand ambassador!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-06-2020 at 07:26 PM.
10-06-2020, 06:42 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A pointless bunch of rambling.......???

10-06-2020, 06:58 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
A pointless bunch of rambling.......???

To answer both you and Steve as I see it:

The guy is a professional Youtuber. He really might not have that much to say but he's got 14K subs in 11 months which is huge. It took me 11 years to get 10K subs on Photo Universe, but I wasn't really trying. He's also been posting 20 vids a month! If your goal is posting 20 vids a month consistently, then you really need to talk about anything that is even remotely related to anything anyone who subscribed might want to hear. I can manage 2-3 a week but only if the topics create themselves, i.e. I have a lot to say and it comes easy, that's how I know I should/can do it.

So he's probably spending more time learning how to grow his channel than focusing on what his channels about.

I want to grow my new channel as well, but it has to be organic. And by that I mean that my photography, what I'm doing and helping people who might want to do something similar are the goals. Not grow the channel just to grow the channel for add revenue. Notice that my new channel has no adds and wont. That's not what I'm about and not what it's about.

I did also notice he was posting in 4K 2160P...

---------- Post added 10-06-20 at 06:59 PM ----------

You shoot landscape, right? I guess there is some value in knowing the zip is there...just in case.*

Steve

I shoot landscapes with a 4x5 camera and film. It takes me 1/2 an hour just to set the thing up...

I use digital for other things, mainly video these days.
10-06-2020, 07:11 PM   #69
Pentaxian

The guy is a professional Youtuber.
Not quite Ed, his day job is as an architect.

He reports topical things on all brands of cameras,its interesting to read the comments he gets.
10-06-2020, 07:48 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote

He reports topical things on all brands of cameras,its interesting to read the comments he gets.
There are 2 kinds of youtubers. The first says, hey I want to make money on youtube, I need to find something to talk about that I'm remotely interested in to drive the channel. The second says, hey I'm doing this thing over here, I'm going to use Youtube to share what I'm doing with people, they might find it helpful or useful. (Some people of course are just floating along somewhere in the middle or are just playing.)

He may be an architect by day, but he wants to be the first kind of youtuber instead. You don't grow a channel from zero to 14K subs in less than a year without a lot of full time effort and specific dedication.
10-06-2020, 07:57 PM   #71
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I shoot landscapes with a 4x5 camera and film. It takes me 1/2 an hour just to set the thing up...

I use digital for other things, mainly video these days.
Thank you for the clarification. If the K-new or the new K-new supports 4K, will you move from Fuji or will it require additional codecs, clean HDMI out and other stuff desirable for video?
10-06-2020, 08:04 PM   #72
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Insert "filmmaking" before the word "cameras" in the interest of accuracy. A quick survey of his recent videos tells me he likes Canon, tolerates Sony, is dismissive of Panasonic and Nikon, and ignores Fuji, Olympus, Leica, and, until recently, Pentax. They also tell me that he really is not interested in stills photography.

Steve
10-06-2020, 08:20 PM   #73
Pentaxian

He may be an architect by day, but he wants to be the first kind of youtuber instead. You don't grow a channel from zero to 14K subs in less than a year without a lot of full time effort and specific dedication.
He has put in a dedicated effort which he benefits financially from and puts the proceeds into acquiring gear.A sound philosophy imo.

---------- Post added 10-07-20 at 02:21 PM ----------

A quick survey of his recent videos tells me
Do an in depth look.
10-06-2020, 08:49 PM - 3 Likes   #74
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

One persons observation.
I watched the Pentax bit of the presentation, life is too busy and too short to watch the rest. So Pentax is dead blah, blah, secret message and all that. One can find that analysis on multiple threads on this forum without heading to Youtube or DP Review.

The thing I find most interesting about the overall camera market at moment is that every manufacturer is struggling with the unit contraction. All manufacturers are also going to have to find new pathways forward following the pandemic disruption. I suspect existing business models will continue to be upended, and struggle to return required return on investment. Niches with dedicated 'tribes' are just as likely to do well as mass market producers with rapidly shrinking purchase bases. Pentax is a niche producer with a dedicated 'tribe' - witness this forum and our current discussions on this thread.

Whether Pentax survive the continuing upheaval is a matter for the future. I have read plenty of opinions on that topic both here and elsewhere. Given the topic of this thread, whether Pentax need 4K video to survive will be a very small footnote in a much larger narrative .

From my personal viewpoint, it would be nice if they did survive - I like their design philosophy and rugged, well constructed cameras, and I have a decent sized collection of Pentax lenses that I enjoy using without the need for adaptors. If Pentax don't survive, there are plenty of adaptors from K mount to the various mirrorless mounts, so I would adapt and continue making photos for my relaxation and enjoyment.

Last edited by NZ_Ross; 10-06-2020 at 11:38 PM.
10-07-2020, 09:07 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the clarification. If the K-new or the new K-new supports 4K, will you move from Fuji or will it require additional codecs, clean HDMI out and other stuff desirable for video?
LOL, I am still trying to figure out how to get my software to play the 265 codec! And unless I switch to Sony, I shoot video with manual exposure and manual focus. So if the KP did 4k, It would be perfect for me right now.

---------- Post added 10-07-20 at 09:09 AM ----------

He has put in a dedicated effort which he benefits financially from and puts the proceeds into acquiring gear.A sound philosophy imo.

---------- Post added 10-07-20 at 02:21 PM ----------

Absolutely. I am in no way putting him down, though I guess it did come across like that. He is working it and deserves all the success he achieves. My point was that I don't think people understand the HUGE effort it takes to do what he's done in so short a time.