Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 107 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2020, 03:00 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Why I need 4K video in a new Pentax camera...

(Moderators have been "enthusiastic" around here lately so please move this thread if deemed to be in the wrong category, thanks)

In response to the rumors about the new K(new) cameras:

Right now I am using a Fuji XT3, XPro3 and Xe3 along with a Mavic Air 2 and a gopro hero 7, all of which shoot at least 4K30 video and (some shoot 4K60.) So my videos are now all at least 4K30 fps. I am making videos about large format film photography, but also shoot medium format and 35mm film and APS-c digital stills on a trip.

My film cameras are Pentax MX's with M-series lenses. I video with the Fuji's set to manual focus and manual aperture because both auto modes are not reliable. It would be SO EASY to do video with a Pentax body that captured 4K and use my M series lenses as well as shoot stills with the Pentax digital body also and that's why I want a Pentax DSLR that shoots 4K video. But for now, I got the Fuji's so I use them. There are many Hybrid shooters out there, and surprisingly, I have become one of them after many years as a "cameras are for stills only" curmudgeon.

The following video was shot all 4k24 (as have all my recent videos) using Fuji's and the Mavic Air 2. So these cameras can definitely "do it." Now it's up to Pentax to do it.

Last edited by Qwntm; 10-03-2020 at 03:17 PM.
10-03-2020, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm with you. I am increasingly being called upon and/or presented with opportunities to use video at work. I want to be able to avail myself of my Pentax lenses, and not have to shift gears and use my museum's Canon stuff. And I want to be able to integrate my stills from my Pentax cameras, plus from my Theta Z1, with my Pentax video. If I could do all that, I know I'd get new and lucrative business not just from my main client, but others as well.
10-03-2020, 03:39 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, it is in the wrong forum. The fact that you need 4K video is neither news nor rumor.

All of the forums have a brief but informative description as to what should be posted in them. If you are still not sure, the Troubleshooting and Beginner Help forum or, if not photography related, General Talk are appropriate places to post.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Moved to the Photographic Industry and Professionals forum
10-03-2020, 03:43 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are rumors...

New K-New? Who Knew? - PentaxForums.com

Question...why aren't you using your Pentax glass on the Fujis?

Steve

10-03-2020, 05:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There are rumors...

New K-New? Who Knew? - PentaxForums.com

Question...why aren't you using your Pentax glass on the Fujis?

Steve

I could, but it's so much easier just to use native Fuji lenses. The adapters are just another thing to fiddle with and switch when switching lenses. The Fuji AF works great for stills, also.
10-03-2020, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #6
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
In response to the rumors about the new K(new) cameras:
There is no need for a pentaprism viewfinder when shooting video.
PENTAx gets it's name from the PENTAprism.
Pentax is staying true to their roots and history.
If one needs a video camera, why seek so from a pentaprism brand?
You're trying to smack a nail with a screwdriver...

---------- Post added 10-03-20 at 08:01 PM ----------

And I don't eat with a 'spork' either... :P

Last edited by FozzFoster; 10-03-2020 at 07:09 PM.
10-03-2020, 07:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
You're trying to smack a nail with a screwdriver...[COLOR="Silver"]
... and phones should only be used to make calls too.

10-03-2020, 07:29 PM   #8
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
and you can definitely still buy a non-smart phone.
Pentax does not appear to want/need to chase the mirrorless/4K mania, and to do otherwise seems contrary to their mission statements.

---------- Post added 10-03-20 at 08:36 PM ----------

However, I've been told that the seemingly accepted rumours suggest that the new sensor for the K-New could support 4K...
It doesn't seem to me to be a central feature for a pentaprism product.
10-03-2020, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You're trying to smack a nail with a screwdriver...

---------- Post added 10-03-20 at 08:01 PM ----------

And I don't eat with a 'spork' either... :P
There may not be a need for a Pentaprism viewfinder but a couple of points:

1.) Canon's done quite well in the video department the last 15 years with nothing but (until just very recently,) and
2.) I actually prefer a pentaprism finder for stills, and I am a hybrid shooter.

Not to mention I very much prefer Pentax ergonomics and interface to the 1980's VCR, still not quite figured it out yet, which is the Fuji layout. Compared to Pentax, the Fuji cameras all seem like they are in beta testing. Maybe why they are always releasing firmware updates, because they know they weren't quite ready yet.

And it would be nice to carry around one bag of lenses for everything, also. Which I do now by leaving the Pentax stuff at home.

So to answer your question, I need a hybrid camera, not a video camera, and right now the best on the market is the XT series from Fuji.

All Pentax needs to do is make a K3 or KP with 4k video.

---------- Post added 10-03-20 at 10:27 PM ----------

and you can definitely still buy a non-smart phone.
Pentax does not appear to want/need to chase the mirrorless/4K mania, and to do otherwise seems contrary to their mission statements.

---------- Post added 10-03-20 at 08:36 PM ----------

However, I've been told that the seemingly accepted rumours suggest that the new sensor for the K-New could support 4K...
It doesn't seem to me to be a central feature for a pentaprism product.
I read somewhere that the K1 already had the capability for 4K it just needed a faster processor which they were not willing to up the price point in order to include it. The k1 Mark II should have had a faster processor though, after 2 years the competition streaked on by, and I'm not even talking about video or 4K. Write times are too slow even for just stills, considering what you could buy in 2019 for $1800 USD... Just sayin'
10-03-2020, 10:58 PM - 1 Like   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd be surprised if the new camera didn't at least offer basic support for 4K, but I guess we will have to wait and see what processor they'll be able to put in there. It will undoubtedly be something that's several years newer than the K-1, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-04-2020, 12:49 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd be surprised if the new camera didn't at least offer basic support for 4K,
The 2 possible sensors are both 4K capable,With the info about an updated processor it should be more than capable of 4K 30p,even at a modest bitrate.The Ricoh GR3,is probably capable of 4K with the heat generation in something so small it would be limited to a very short time.

Ricoh have had 4K for years in the compacts and Thetas,It will be in K-New.

Last edited by surfar; 10-04-2020 at 01:03 AM.
10-04-2020, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #12
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I faced the same issue a year ago with the need for 4K video for my work vlogs and teaching videos (for future proofing and downscaling to 1080P - for high quality images).

I ended up with a Panasonic G9 and a couple of lenses.

I would have been very happy with a small Pentax camera that did the job, and I have plenty of Pentax lenses, but sadly not to be.

So, I use the G9 for work videos, and some stills while travelling. I use my Pentax gear for my own hobby stills photos. It is a compromise, but it works ok for now
10-04-2020, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If a DSLR camera maker adds 4K video to a unit designed, primarily for stills, what changes? Clearly the firmware, sensor and processor need to be suitable, that's obvious, but what else? The mechanics of the mirror, shutter? Heat dissipation? The focussing mechanisms? These, presumably, can be done at a price, but do the changes risk degrading the life expectancy and robustness of the camera? I'm thinking a reliable, solid, but slow design, gets changed to be faster, but more temperamental - maybe?
10-04-2020, 02:29 AM - 4 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I guess that was sarcasm, but I do exactly that. Phones that are not internet-enabled are called "feature phones" and I use one.

I do have a smart phone but don't use it for calls. I reluctantly use it as a portable PC only when I have to. When I switch it on, and then again when I access anything with it, it is bombarded with spam, apps, and IDK what else. Last week I had to use it outside a shop (Currys, UK) to message them (as they required) that I was outside to collect an order, and when I logged on to them site I had to watch them stuffing my phone with software and data for at least two minutes before I could do anything with it. They are out of control, and a PITA. Yet some people want this stuff integrated into their cameras!

I want tools optimised for the job and "stills outline" ICL cameras are not optimal for video. The good news is that I believe that cameras aimed at video users will evolve away from those aimed at stills users. Those extras for video use, like gimbals and serious microphones, will become integral to the camera, just as, historically, exposure meters and flash became integrated with still cameras. Who knows, maybe video-oriented ICL cameras might evolve into - you know: camcorders! and leave us stills photographers alone with our stills-oriented brands like Pentax.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 10-04-2020 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Tpyo
10-04-2020, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although we still don't know the full spec for K-new it seems to me that what has been revealed so far (no flippy screen, enhanced viewfinder) suggests this camera is going into some market area which does not care about video, not much about action photography and no desire to compete with the big boys in general.
While I have no problem with Ricoh/Pentax choosing and following their niche (it's their business after all) I'm sad that the manufacturer I have followed for 6 decades is moving away from my use case.
I have often had the need to capture stills and video at the same event and tried carrying both sorts of camera - it's a PITA.
I know this view does not fit with the majority view on the forum - it might be wrong headed but it's the truth as I see it.