Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2020, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Wouldn't that be the 9th iteration then?

Dear Ricoh, if you name the K-New "K3 Mk III" or anything similar, I'm going to scratch it out and write 'Yet Another Goofy, Nonsensical, Irrelevant
Model Iteration' in its place. Call it "Fred" and be done with it.

OR......., call it the 'Knew'. Problem solved. The model after can be the 'Knxt'.
You're on a roll today!!

10-15-2020, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #62
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Obviously Daryl in a mask or his equally hairy cousin. Still though, not bad for ISO 65535. Do you have one at 819200?

Steve
Incidentally there is a "Progressive" insurance ad featuring "Flo" and a 'bigfoot' named "Daryl".

My photo of the raccoon was a KP-originated JPG at 819200.
The software here doesn't seem to handle high ISO settings well.
My wife had heard a disturbance out by our feeders, but we couldn't quite make it out, so I turned on the back 60 watt light and took this photo {required manual focus}.

Last edited by reh321; 10-15-2020 at 12:06 PM.
10-15-2020, 12:59 PM   #63
Pentaxian

I thought that any iso past the base iso of the given camera is just electric gain, and same effect can be achieved by simply adding exposure in post processing. So all the 1mil plus iso can be achieved with any camera with just post processing.
10-15-2020, 01:06 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I guess I would have to see the GR III's highlight-weighted metering in action, say in M mode with fixed ISO, to see if it actually sets indicates less exposure. The highlight correction feature in current dSLRs does not.
The highlight correction in dSLRs (like K-1) set the ISO to 200 as minimum... GRII's highlight weighted metering does not...

10-15-2020, 01:15 PM   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My photo of the raccoon was a KP-originated JPG at 819200.
EXIF says otherwise...

Steve
10-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #66
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
The highlight correction in dSLRs (like K-1) set the ISO to 200 as minimum... GRII's highlight weighted metering does not...
Other way around...Highlight correction is not available at ISO 100.

As for highlight correction not being a matter of metering on Pentax dSLRs, I think I said that. It is not a feature I use and while I very much remember the discussions here, I am still not sure what it does or even if it works. I do know that having it on does not effect metering on my K-3, nor does it show a -1 EV histogram shift on actual exposure when turned on.

That aside, I don't have a GRIII in hand to see if highlight metering actually meters to the highlights (different meter settings when high value highlights are present) when turned on. As stated above, I am ignorant as to what it does. Is it safe to assume that you have pertinent experience using that metering mode on the GRIII? Does it drop metered EV down to protect highlight detail better than the multi-segment option? If you know, that would be cool.

Steve
10-15-2020, 02:17 PM   #67
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

EXIF says otherwise...

Steve
As I said in that text, the EXIF reader here miss-interprets large numbers. My KP says 819200 - which is also what I remember.

Last edited by reh321; 10-15-2020 at 02:27 PM.
10-15-2020, 02:18 PM   #68
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I thought that any iso past the base iso of the given camera is just electric gain, and same effect can be achieved by simply adding exposure in post processing. So all the 1mil plus iso can be achieved with any camera with just post processing.
Don't forget to take into account the work of the 'accelerator' in the K-70, KP, and K-1ii, which decreases noise, increases DR, and seems to improve color fidelity in both 'raw' and "JPEG" files.
That is the reason for my repeatly asking people whether they have actually used a recent Pentax camera;
"Photon-to-Photos" shows improvements in both noise and DR, and they work with 'raw' files.

Last edited by reh321; 10-15-2020 at 02:56 PM.
10-15-2020, 03:35 PM   #69
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As I said in that text, the EXIF reader here miss-interprets large numbers. My KP says 819200 - which is also what I remember.

My profuse apologies! There is something strange at work here, but a deeper dive into the EXIF makernotes does indeed read ISO 819200. I don't know if it is a quirk of how the camera wrote the metadata or a bug in ExifTool, but the ISO tag definitely reads as 65535 (maximum value for short int) rather than the long int value supported. I confirmed with the ISO 819200 sample image from Imaging Resource.

Steve
10-15-2020, 03:54 PM   #70
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

My profuse apologies! There is something strange at work here, but a deeper dive into the EXIF makernotes does indeed read ISO 819200. I don't know if it is a quirk of how the camera wrote the metadata or a bug in ExifTool, but the ISO tag definitely reads as 65535 (maximum value for short int) rather than the long int value supported. I confirmed with the ISO 819200 sample image from Imaging Resource.

Steve
Oh, no apology is due.
I have run into this quirk in the system several times.
I guess @Adam; will have to tweak it for the new cameras.
10-15-2020, 05:45 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter

Better is to look at the whole picture.
If you are taking a photo of Daryl, the "Abdominal Snowman" any passably good photo is better than nothing - and I have gotten that.
I would never hang the below photo on the wall - unless it was at the local post office - but it does identify a thief as seen from light from our house.

You just quieted a bunch of naysayers.
10-16-2020, 04:08 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Wouldn't that be the 9th iteration then?

Dear Ricoh, if you name the K-New "K3 Mk III" or anything similar, I'm going to scratch it out and write 'Yet Another Goofy, Nonsensical, Irrelevant
Model Iteration' in its place. Call it "Fred" and be done with it.

OR......., call it the 'Knew'. Problem solved. The model after can be the 'Knxt'.
Someone should tell Toyota. Last time I looked, they were still touting the millions of Corollas they’ve sold. Just small iterations, of course, so obvious continuity there. And let’s not talk about Canon.
10-17-2020, 08:46 AM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What is DOF bracketing? The same as focus stacking?
10-17-2020, 12:25 PM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Think of it as aperture bracketing.
10-17-2020, 07:56 PM   #75
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Think of it as aperture bracketing.
This ^ ^ ^, while keeping constant EV.

Steve