Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not very useful in other words....

10-18-2020, 06:51 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Depending on what result you're trying to get it's just as useful as focus stacking (bracketing). Aperture bracketing allows you the option to maintain that nice bokeh you had in mind while increasing the perceived DoF

Neither focus or aperture bracketing is an essential automated function of course and both can be done manually. You might want to consider aperture bracketing in some cases rather than focus stacking. Example: Those desirable starbursts have a limited aperture range for greatest effect, which might not work at the aperture you want to use for capturing your image. Taking the same shot with two different apertures, ie 2.8 and 11, might be the trick.

Last edited by gatorguy; 10-18-2020 at 06:57 AM.
10-18-2020, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #78
Pentaxian

I thought it was about getting the right dof on shots that arent staged. Its a skill to know exactly what aperture is required to get the perfect dof for say a candid portrait. Max background blur with both nose and ears in focus sort of thing.
10-18-2020, 06:08 PM   #79
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
That is my assessment, but such a feature might make sense if one has never actually done it manually and realized that there is not much to be accomplished. I have been shooting with priority to aperture since the late 1960s and have never had a need to bracket aperture.

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Depending on what result you're trying to get it's just as useful as focus stacking (bracketing). Aperture bracketing allows you the option to maintain that nice bokeh you had in mind while increasing the perceived DoF
Huh? Changing the aperture almost always changes the character of the bokeh. Rather than your explanation, my view of aperture bracketing is that of a shotgun approach to finding desirable bokeh.

FWIW, focus stacking does not involve bracketing and the manual equivalent of aperture bracketing is easily accomplished by using the Hyper Manual feature...

What camera functions have you discovered long after buying the camera? - PentaxForums.com

Steve

10-18-2020, 06:14 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I was trying to make money with my photography, I could see using aperture bracketing quite often, as the best shot might be hiding in the stack of takes vs. not being there without using this feature. I know I can click the dial back and forth to do this function on my own but the machine would do it faster and I could keep my concentration on other things while it's happening. This function also seems like something that could be accomplished 100% in software given all of the existing interface items (buttons, knobs, etc) that already exist on a camera like the K-1, KP, etc.
10-18-2020, 09:36 PM   #81
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I know I can click the dial back and forth to do this function on my own but the machine would do it faster and I could keep my concentration on other things while it's happening.
I figure the use case for automated aperture bracketing is as strong as the case for in-camera focus stacking to extend DOF while maintaining background blur. I would probably not do the latter, but the suggestion of the former has me curious. I generally choose aperture based on experience, but am thinking that I might do an experiment with an aperture bracket series in half steps over 5 stops (+/- 2) just to see if there are any surprises.

Steve
10-19-2020, 05:39 AM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the camera indeed is going to be named K-3 III, then it means Pentax have adopted a naming system like Canon's; ie EOS 5D MK 1,2,3...and Eos-1 etc. This means that the next K-1 will be the K-1 III. Since the K-3 series, provided this naming system is real, is the APS flagship, then there's room for another FF body below the K-1 series; the K-2.
I think Pentax should drop the K-name and adopt two different naming systems for their K-mount cameras; one for APS and one for FF so that you can tell what format is which easily from the name.

10-19-2020, 09:17 AM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is my assessment, but such a feature might make sense if one has never actually done it manually and realized that there is not much to be accomplished. I have been shooting with priority to aperture since the late 1960s and have never had a need to bracket aperture.

Huh? Changing the aperture almost always changes the character of the bokeh. Rather than your explanation, my view of aperture bracketing is that of a shotgun approach to finding desirable bokeh.

FWIW, focus stacking does not involve bracketing and the manual equivalent of aperture bracketing is easily accomplished by using the Hyper Manual feature...

What camera functions have you discovered long after buying the camera? - PentaxForums.com

Steve
Stever...
10-19-2020, 09:28 AM   #84
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Aperture bracketing vs. aperture stacking? FWIW, it is probably easier to simply mask the original center and apply Gaussian blur to the background. I am also not sure that an aperture bracket would have provided both f/1.2 and f/4 versions of the same shot. If it were me and my intent (sharp plant, blurred near background to be accomplished by a merge) was known while taking the shot. I would select the apertures manually. That said, I almost never shoot with intent to composite. The major exception would be HDR or focus stacking for macro, the latter being something that is best done with a focus rail and not with the lens focus.

Steve(r)

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-19-2020 at 09:41 AM.
10-19-2020, 10:13 AM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter

Aperture bracketing vs. aperture stacking? FWIW, it is probably easier to simply mask the original center and apply Gaussian blur to the background. I am also not sure that an aperture bracket would have provided both f/1.2 and f/4 versions of the same shot. If it were me and my intent (sharp plant, blurred near background to be accomplished by a merge) was known while taking the shot. I would select the apertures manually. That said, I almost never shoot with intent to composite. The major exception would be HDR or focus stacking for macro, the latter being something that is best done with a focus rail and not with the lens focus.

Steve(r)
There's almost always more than one way to get to a result. I'm simply pointing out for you that I don't believe I was wrong, other than trying to equate bracketing with a stacking result. That could certainly have been worded much more clearly so thanks for pointing it out.

Yes, aperture bracketing is useful in certain circumstances and yes just as I said you can do so manually. I also think the aperture range you set can be quite a bit wider than you may believe but I don't have my KP anymore to check
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1232006/Ricoh-Pentax-Kp.html?page=69

BTW there's a related thread here:
How useful is aperture bracketing? - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by gatorguy; 10-19-2020 at 10:21 AM.
10-19-2020, 11:00 AM   #86
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

BTW there's a related thread here:
How useful is aperture bracketing? - PentaxForums.com
Wow! One learns something new every day. I did not know that the KP supports this feature along with shutter speed bracketing. The manual is a little fuzzy, but it reads like one can set up to three exposures (either more or less DOF) in 1 stop or smaller increments, depending on EV increment (1/2 or 1/3) set in C1 menu. Maximum spread would then be three stops using a 1 stop increment with minimum at 1 stop using a 1/3 stop increment.

The related thread is interesting in that many of the comments reflect my attitude on the subject with about equal number of comments being enthusiastically in favor.

Steve
10-19-2020, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #87
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow! One learns something new every day. I did not know that the KP supports this feature along with shutter speed bracketing. The manual is a little fuzzy, but it reads like one can set up to three exposures (either more or less DOF) in 1 stop or smaller increments, depending on EV increment (1/2 or 1/3) set in C1 menu. Maximum spread would then be three stops using a 1 stop increment with minimum at 1 stop using a 1/3 stop increment.

The related thread is interesting in that many of the comments reflect my attitude on the subject with about equal number of comments being enthusiastically in favor.

Steve
I had thought you knew it was a KP feature.

Anyway there's several comments here on PF from users discussing why aperture bracketing can be a helpful feature for them. Here's another thread where one of our members put it to use. In his case he went with 1.8, 3.2, and 5.6

Aperture Bracketing - PentaxForums.com
10-27-2020, 01:02 AM   #88
Pentaxian

Original Poster
AH! I had forgotten... And no Astrotracer....
10-27-2020, 02:35 AM   #89
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-3 III APS-C Flagship: Name & Specs Revealed
The wait is (almost) over
By PF Staff in Pentax Announcements on Oct 27, 2020
Read more at: Pentax K-3 III APS-C Flagship: Name & Specs Revealed - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com
10-27-2020, 07:08 AM   #90
Pentaxian

Anyone notice that the it is called the K-3 III

Will the naysayers now start an "eat crow" thread where they analyze the error of their ways and promise to do better in the future?

You don't automatically learn from your mistakes. You have to work at it.