Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2020, 06:50 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why not also a new 645NIII or 67III

QuoteOriginally posted by Le spationaute Quote
This rumor is one year old. At least. I read about it first, while PENTAX was celebrating it's heritage and it's onehundredth birthday. Nothing has happened and I don't belive this will change. Why? A film-SLR would be an entirely new camera. It would have to be completely up-to-date as far as autofocus, autoexposure and even things like scene-detection are concerned. It would have to be fast and sturdy and reliable. Very few of those would sell. So it certainly would have to be be quite expensive. I' don't belive in that business-case.
Scene-detection ?!

10-16-2020, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Many film shooters are attracted by the tactile and well made objects that are vintage cameras. Better performance I believe would be antitetical to the whole thing.

Todays manufacturers cant really compete with the quality of old stuff. The economics won't allow it.
10-16-2020, 02:39 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Many film shooters are attracted by the tactile and well made objects that are vintage cameras. Better performance I believe would be antitetical to the whole thing.

Todays manufacturers cant really compete with the quality of old stuff. The economics won't allow it.
Maybe you could explain how cameras of 50 years ago were dramatically higher quality than, say, a K-1.
10-16-2020, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Maybe you could explain how cameras of 50 years ago were dramatically higher quality than, say, a K-1.
I'm referring to the manufacturing and the tactile aspects of the camera. As objects/machines they have very different qualities than most (Leica caveat) new cameras. Little to no electronics, gears, levers that push things by your power, dials with mechanical connections. Those are some of the reasons along with the film medium itself that have made vintage cameras and film popular again. Younger people have very little experience of, and can be fascinated by, small intricate machines of the type that was commonplace 50 years ago. I'm young enough to be borderline, those things were around but old when I was growing up.

Matching the build of vintage gear is difficult today but perhaps China can do it. Anythings seems possible over there.

10-17-2020, 03:06 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Matching the build of vintage gear is difficult today but perhaps China can do it. Anythings seems possible over there.

Ehhh....the Japanese are very good at it....
BTW The feel of the k-3 is second to none....
10-17-2020, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

I'm referring to the manufacturing and the tactile aspects of the camera. As objects/machines they have very different qualities than most (Leica caveat) new cameras. Little to no electronics, gears, levers that push things by your power, dials with mechanical connections. Those are some of the reasons along with the film medium itself that have made vintage cameras and film popular again. Younger people have very little experience of, and can be fascinated by, small intricate machines of the type that was commonplace 50 years ago. I'm young enough to be borderline, those things were around but old when I was growing up.

I know I am repeating what I have already said in this very thread.

There still are lots of vintage cameras out there - I have three in my very own closet {I seem to have inherited a Canon “AE-1 Program” from my Mother. Now, I did retire my “Super Program” because I was ready for AF, but some are even auto-focus - so what business case would support manufacturing more film cameras when we already have this sea of existing vintage cameras? I know that some remaining “Spotmatic” and “K-1000” bodies do have problems, but some are like my three and could be used today if that were desired and some could be rebuilt by craftsman such as Eric. I simply do not see a business case for building yet more of them.

I should mention that every time I take my “Super Program” out of the closet, my wife asks “why” - why spend more of our money for film and developing when I know - I have demonstrated for myself - that even a 6mp digital image is sharper than that old camera could produce with Kodachrome 25 {which is no longer manufactured itself}.
10-17-2020, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I know I am repeating what I have already said in this very thread.

There still are lots of vintage cameras out there - I have three in my very own closet {I seem to have inherited a Canon “AE-1 Program” from my Mother. Now, I did retire my “Super Program” because I was ready for AF, but some are even auto-focus - so what business case would support manufacturing more film cameras when we already have this sea of existing vintage cameras? I know that some remaining “Spotmatic” and “K-1000” bodies do have problems, but some are like my three and could be used today if that were desired and some could be rebuilt by craftsman such as Eric. I simply do not see a business case for building yet more of them.

I should mention that every time I take my “Super Program” out of the closet, my wife asks “why” - why spend more of our money for film and developing when I know - I have demonstrated for myself - that even a 6mp digital image is sharper than that old camera could produce with Kodachrome 25 {which is no longer manufactured itself}.
You could make the same case about, say, turntables and vinyl for audio. I'd guess a majority of records from years ago are covered in dust, warped, scratched. My uncle's collection is 95% unplayable from the ravages of time and heat and the like. I'm guessing many of the turntables need a needle, and little minor work and they're good as new. As an Electrical Engineer I can make a compelling case that a good low-loss or lossless digital file has many, many advantages over something recorded on vinyl even when the vinyl is pristine.

But here were are in 2020 with many groups releasing music on vinyl and turntables are still made.

Last edited by ThorSanchez; 10-17-2020 at 06:32 AM.
10-17-2020, 05:00 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wild rumour indeed...
10-17-2020, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Maybe both rumours are right and Ricoh is planning on developing a Pentax Super 8 cine camera...
Are you suggesting film and video in one device? Crazy, but brilliant.

But how would the videos be viewed? We'd need some sort of optical projection device that could spool the film at the correct speed, and a large white screen. I think achieving 24 fps would be really difficult. I don't see this being a portable set-up. And storing rolls and rolls of film would certainly clutter the closet. Seems complicated, too; probably only our fathers could operate it.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 10-17-2020 at 07:44 AM.
10-17-2020, 09:21 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Wild rumour indeed...
Indeed. I just don't see this happening.
04-07-2021, 06:06 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Are you suggesting film and video in one device? Crazy, but brilliant.

- Craig
Super-8 is 8mm wide film with a small magnet strip for audio. It was preceded by Double-8 and Single-8. These three have always been amateur films. It was very low quality, worse than VHS.

Hollywood of course used 35mm film (24 frames/s 18×24mm). In between there was the semiprofessional 16mm film which was mostly used by documentary filmers but a few camera companies made stills cameras for 16mm film too. Among these are Minolta and Steky.
04-22-2021, 12:17 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A new Pentax Body for Film? Why not? Nikon sold the F6 until at least 2020.
At the same time, there are tons of used ones out there, still working, for very little money, if you are patient. Tough competition.
04-22-2021, 01:20 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marv4284 Quote
A new Pentax Body for Film? Why not? Nikon sold the F6 until at least 2020.
At the same time, there are tons of used ones out there, still working, for very little money, if you are patient. Tough competition.
Your second line answers the question of the first line.
I have three film cameras, one I purchased as a "used" camera recently.
There are lots and lots of used film cameras available - the last thing we need is to have even more added to the "stock".
04-24-2021, 01:13 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are lots and lots of used film cameras available - the last thing we need is to have even more added to the "stock".
There are also lots and lots of used Nikon film cameras available, and yet Nikon saw fit to keep production of the F6 for a long time. I suppose they were not quite losing money on it.
04-24-2021, 01:41 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like a brand new film camera from Pentax is going to compete for sales with the MX or ZX-L in the thrift shop? KAF4 mount film camera that resembles the K-1 or KP would be hot. The number of Pentax film cameras with "modern" controls is a massive list; the MZ-S, and what else?

If Pentax wants to be the Japanese Leica of SLR's then a film body that can accept brand new glass makes some sense. I doubt we ever see it.