Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2020, 05:06 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wild rumour/wish fulfillment fantasy about new Pentax film camera?????

Someone said something on YouTube:

Listen from 2:26

Is there any substance to this, or is he just talking out of his nether orifice and hoping for a unicorn? He states in comments that he has a further video coming on this.

10-15-2020, 05:36 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Is there any substance to this
"A hint of a feeling" does not sound to have any substance at all.

Now it may be that because Pentax has made clear it is not going mirrorless, and they have emphasised the importance of the OVF, that he feels it would be nice if they did make a new film camera. I don't have a clue if there is enough demand to make it worth their while.
10-15-2020, 05:43 AM - 5 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

I have a hint of a feeling I may win the lottery this weekend.
10-15-2020, 05:49 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Stop everything, someone said something on Youtube

Not because of more views, honest

10-15-2020, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Still waiting for that Reflex vaporware...
10-15-2020, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
"A hint of a feeling" does not sound to have any substance at all.

Now it may be that because Pentax has made clear it is not going mirrorless, and they have emphasised the importance of the OVF, that he feels it would be nice if they did make a new film camera. I don't have a clue if there is enough demand to make it worth their while.
I am quite certain there enough old cameras out there to sop up any demand.
10-15-2020, 06:13 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

A few photo news / commentary sites have started writing that they feel a modern film camera would be nice. Probably because instagramers have started purchasing vintage cameras to stage cuter photos.

Some people then realized a lot of K1000s were selling, and the logical conclusion was that Pentax should release a new one, and someone then said they would.

10-15-2020, 08:59 AM   #8

This rumor is one year old. At least. I read about it first, while PENTAX was celebrating it's heritage and it's onehundredth birthday. Nothing has happened and I don't belive this will change. Why? A film-SLR would be an entirely new camera. It would have to be completely up-to-date as far as autofocus, autoexposure and even things like scene-detection are concerned. It would have to be fast and sturdy and reliable. Very few of those would sell. So it certainly would have to be be quite expensive. I' don't belive in that business-case.

Last edited by Le spationaute; 10-15-2020 at 11:15 AM.
10-15-2020, 09:43 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
Just thinking:

Isn't there another rumor floatting around that said ricoh is planning a video centric DSLR camera?
What if the rumors was caught wrong, and started as a 'film centric camera"? Or a film SLR, but people just assumed it was obviously about a video DSLR?
10-15-2020, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #10

No. Don't belive that. The second APS-C most probably is just a K-70-replacement.
10-15-2020, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sungibr Quote
Just thinking:

Isn't there another rumor floatting around that said ricoh is planning a video centric DSLR camera?
What if the rumors was caught wrong, and started as a 'film centric camera"? Or a film SLR, but people just assumed it was obviously about a video DSLR?
Maybe both rumours are right and Ricoh is planning on developing a Pentax Super 8 cine camera...
10-15-2020, 07:15 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sungibr Quote
An anonymous tip during a slow rumor month...

Steve
10-16-2020, 02:33 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

I find myself wondering what sort of new technology has been invented for DSLRs that can be transferred to a film SLR. In other words, what features will a brand new Pentax film camera have that a used MZ-S does not?
10-16-2020, 02:48 AM - 1 Like   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I find myself wondering what sort of new technology has been invented for DSLRs that can be transferred to a film SLR. In other words, what features will a brand new Pentax film camera have that a used MZ-S does not?
Fully electronic aperture control, so it can utilise the latest D FA lenses... PDAF sensor and AF points as per (ideally, better than) the K-1 series... Up-to-date metering... ?
10-16-2020, 05:11 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
AF performance and metering as mentioned previously.

I've not spent any time with the MZ-S or really any film Pentax newer than my MX, so big grain of salt with this next bit; I think Pentax ergo's and general usability is way better in 2020 than it was in 2000 or 1990. It would be interesting to see what their current human factors engineers could do with a camera like the MZ-S today. Electronics have gotten much more capable while shrinking over the years. A camera like the LX or MX from a general layout standpoint, but with an LCD somewhere describing settings to the user, and then a few e-dials and such added to give f-stop control in-body, AF settings, etc etc.