Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2020, 03:49 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
I had no idea Pentax had brand ambassadors.
Here are the ones for N. America...

Ricoh Imaging Ambassadors - Ricoh

I have met Kerrick James, but don't know the other two.

Steve

10-23-2020, 04:02 PM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The answer to the question, "why does Matt Bishop still shoot Pentax" is partially because he is a sponsored professional
I wonder what dollar value that sponsorship represents? I mean, given that we see and hear so little of Pentax brand ambassadors, you'd have to think they don't get paid a great deal for their loyalty and PR involvement. If that's the case, would a serious photographer "sell out" and shoot a brand he or she doesn't genuinely want to shoot - just for a few thousand bucks and the occasional piece of free or long-term-loan equipment?
10-23-2020, 04:29 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If that's the case, would a serious photographer "sell out" and shoot a brand he or she doesn't genuinely want to shoot - just for a few thousand bucks and the occasional piece of free or long-term-loan equipment?
I don't know that too many would sell out, per se; after all, with the exception of a few critical features, competing models from the various brands are more or less equivalent in regards to image quality and suitability to task. If one is interested in a sponsorship, the challenge is always to secure such; that accomplished, to get a contract that pays a few of the bills and after that, to maintain the relationship to one's advantage. Responsibilities include attendance at promotional events, promotion of product on one's Web site and through one's blog/vlog and exclusive use of the sponsor's product. My understanding is that there is a retainer along with compensation for event participation, product placement, product mention, product reviews, and direct promotion as with this video.

We have had the occasional sponsored professional active on this site and at least one quit that role on rather bitter terms with their sponsor over both contract terms and actual professional product support (failed camera/lens sent for repair rather than FedEx same day replacement...that sort of thing).

Added: Ricoh Imaging promotes their brand ambassadors on Facebook.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-23-2020 at 04:41 PM.
10-23-2020, 04:48 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I am in the minority, but was not impressed by the video. The answer to the question, "why does Matt Bishop still shoot Pentax" is partially because he is a sponsored professional, hence his exposure to pre-release product (e.g. D FA 70-210/4) and interest in promoting the brand.

Steve
Who sponsored him? He's not on the Ricoh brand ambassadors page.

---------- Post added 10-23-20 at 07:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
All the reasons he mentions for shooting Pentax are kind of true about every brand though. I think Astro tracer is the only thing other brands don’t have.
Pixel shift, IBIS, ergonomics, things I use all the time.

Not to mention that if you want 36 MP you pay a lot more from other brands. I'm not sure why you'd even say that.

10-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I would expect whoever sent him the D FA 70-210/4 prototype fall of last year...

https://www.mattbishopphotography.com/blog/2020/1/pentax-dfa-70-210mm-f4---on-field-experience

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-23-2020 at 05:34 PM.
10-23-2020, 05:53 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

---------- Post added 10-23-20 at 07:58 PM ----------

Pixel shift, IBIS, ergonomics, things I use all the time.

Not to mention that if you want 36 MP you pay a lot more from other brands. I'm not sure why you'd even say that.
Pixel shift and IBIS are things others offer also. Ergonomics is different for everyone.
10-23-2020, 08:04 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Correct me if I am mistaken, but is not customary when you are reviewing equipment to mention that
you are being paid by that brand. He has a decent following on YouTube and no doubt is not paid, but does
get preproduction equipment to test. He did mention that he planned to get this lens for himself when it became
available.

10-24-2020, 12:58 AM   #23
Pentaxian

He's a "brand advocate for Pentax, Kase filters and Sirui tripods" - whatever that means. But I don't think he's paid tons of money to keep us away from the wonders of mirrorless, and into this perpetually dying brand
He's not telling us, "everything's better than ever at Olym..." erm, I mean, he's a photographer, not an influencer.
10-24-2020, 01:31 AM - 1 Like   #24
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Responsibilities include attendance at promotional events, promotion of product on one's Web site and through one's blog/vlog and exclusive use of the sponsor's product. My understanding is that there is a retainer along with compensation for event participation, product placement, product mention, product reviews, and direct promotion as with this video.
I guess the attendance at promotional events hasn't take up too much of his time (even pre-pandemic)

I see @Kunzite clarified (presumably from Mr Bishop's Facebook page) that he's a "brand advocate" as opposed to a "brand ambassador"... What the difference is, I don't know. I'm giving him some benefit of the doubt and choosing to believe being a promotional advocate of the brand is a worthwhile side benefit for someone who already shoots and is satisfied with the brand's products. Perhaps I'm being naive, but I'm warm and cosy in my nice little fantasy world
10-24-2020, 02:58 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Here are the ones for N. America...

Ricoh Imaging Ambassadors - Ricoh
Well, that's three and all in the USA. Are there any others world-wide? I could not find any link to any others in the world on that website, and it does not say that those are specifically USA ones (which would imply there are others). It does not help that the ".com" URL extension can mean either USA or worldwide, a pet peeve of mine
10-24-2020, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I see @Kunzite clarified (presumably from Mr Bishop's Facebook page) that he's a "brand advocate" as opposed to a "brand ambassador"... What the difference is, I don't know. I'm giving him some benefit of the doubt and choosing to believe being a promotional advocate of the brand is a worthwhile side benefit for someone who already shoots and is satisfied with the brand's products. Perhaps I'm being naive, but I'm warm and cosy in my nice little fantasy world
Yes, that's what he called himself.
He's a Pentaxian since 2002 - clearly he likes the brand, and I have no doubt he's sincere. He might also be slightly annoyed at being told how other brands are lighter, newer, have more features and they're Sony
10-24-2020, 03:29 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Well, that's three and all in the USA. Are there any others world-wide? I could not find any link to any others in the world on that website, and it does not say that those are specifically USA ones (which would imply there are others). It does not help that the ".com" URL extension can mean either USA or worldwide, a pet peeve of mine
Yes, there are - in Europe for example; and I had the pleasure of meeting Mike Muizebelt at Photokina; like Matt Bishop, he was very relaxed about using Pentax, and had the results to show.
Our Photographers
10-24-2020, 03:37 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
He's a "brand advocate for Pentax, Kase filters and Sirui tripods" - whatever that means.
As a brand advocate for Pentax, he should have kept quiet about the usefulness of a flippy screen at the present time
10-24-2020, 03:46 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Why? He's a landscape photographer, he might not even get the K-new.
10-24-2020, 04:11 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I shoot lots of landscape. Don't need a flippy screen....