Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Days Ago   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Flickr Explore Explained, sort of

Flickr Explore Accolades and FAQs

An interesting read that tells you a little bit about Explore, but they are obviously not giving out the selection information, just some hints.

2 Days Ago   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Flickr Explore Accolades and FAQs

An interesting read that tells you a little bit about Explore, but they are obviously not giving out the selection information, just some hints.
It's funny, I'm sure I've seen that there was previously an algorithm that was generating the selections, and then that it was more or less random. Now this! I'm clearly not good as in 1,800 photos I'm yet to have an explore!
2 Days Ago   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The article covers most of the bases and probably one of the most important is that frequent posting increases the likelihood as does history of having been explored before. BTW...gaming the system such as spamming multiple groups fishing for views may result in disqualification. More recently, pandering to special interests might also be a poison of sorts. I took a look at Explore today and gone are all the trains, buses, utility vehicles, legos, and fashion dolls. Today's Explore was mostly composed of VERY compelling photos.

Steve
2 Days Ago - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Today's Explore was mostly composed of VERY compelling photos.
I haven't looked today, but I find that Explore offers gold among the dross. Not that it selects bad pictures, but sometimes it locks on a theme and offers up dozens of sunsets.
I do enjoy surfing though the daily selections, I do agree that many of the images are compelling, I've discovered many talented and creative people there, as well as thousands of amazing locations I'd love to visit in person.

I never create an image expecting to hit Explore, but it is always gratifying when I do. I've had 2 hastily created images, posted only to keep up with the SIC on PF, that hit Explore and received thousands of views, and surprisingly also earned ~100 faves. Still it was like having unexpected visitors arrive when the house is a shambles.

2 Days Ago   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does anyone really want to have their photos selected by an algorithm. Talk about lowest common denominator!

Thanks, but I think I’ll just pass.
2 Days Ago - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Does anyone really want to have their photos selected by an algorithm. Talk about lowest common denominator!

Huh? Easy enough done! Don't post to Flickr!

The photos "explored" by Flickr were not submitted as in some sort of contest. They are 500 photos selected from the ~4,000,000 uploads from the previous day. When I was posting more frequently, I managed to satisfy the algorithm three times in 90 days with the most popular of those images garnering just short of 50,000 views. The strange thing is that I have generally been able to predict those that have been explored. I guess the magic donkey* and I must think a little bit alike, eh?

Steve

* the magic donkey fills the each day's Explore list.
2 Days Ago   #7
Pentaxian

I find engaging with the various photo groups here and being generous with comments is a way to get Explored. It's rewarding Flickr activity as well as the so called interestingness of your photo. I also suspect the algorithm is tweaked for various calendar events eg Halloween or Xmas. Over the next week maybe concentrate on turkey photos. Yes, a turkey shoot. Sorry.
2 Days Ago   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just another reason for me not to like Flickr. I know many here and elsewhere really embrace it. It's just not for me.

2 Days Ago   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
Just another reason for me not to like Flickr. I know many here and elsewhere really embrace it. It's just not for me.
What rubs you wrong?
2 Days Ago   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I don't use Flickr for explore. I use it because it is one of the handiest ways to be able to post photos here with decent quality. I typically hit an explore once every two or three months. I am not trying to do that, but every time it happens the photo gets viewed by several thousand people, maybe more. I don't really care either way, but it is a bit interesting to understand how it works.

But certainly if you all have other ways to post decent quality photos here, that's fine.
2 Days Ago   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I haven't looked today, but I find that Explore offers gold among the dross. Not that it selects bad pictures, but sometimes it locks on a theme and offers up dozens of sunsets.
They seem to hold an endless fascination for most people, while photographers eventually get tired of looking at them.

But if you look at results from DP*cough*cough* challenges, sunsets or other landscapes are often selected as winners or rank highly among the total pool of images.

If I were forced to offer an explanation at gunpoint of why sunsets are so attractive to people, I'd guess they make you relax and give warm fuzzy feelings because it's the time when you lay down your tools and head home to your fire/hearth, and this is somehow instinctive because during the night, the same beautiful landscape could be full of predators (lions, tigers, cougars, that sort of thing).

Of course, through habituation and/or education and deliberate, conscious decision, we can overcome such limitations...
1 Day Ago   #12

I just had a look at my Explored photos to see if there was a theme. I have 15 photos in Explore most of which are Landscape and were taken with Pentax.

K3 + Sigma 10-20 - landscape - 3 pics
K3 + Sigma 10-20 - street - 1 pic
Ricoh gr - landscape - 4 pics
K3 + sigma 17-50 - landscape - 2 pics
K3 + da40xs - street - 1 pic
k30 +da35 f2.4 - street - 1 pic
Canon 6d + ef50mm f1.8 - street - 1 pic
Canon 6d + ef40mm f2.8 - street - 1 pic
Canon 6d + ef40mm f2.8 - landsacpe - 1 pic

I post more street photos than landscape and I also tend to use the Canon more than the Pentax. However, my Pentax photos are the most Explored. The algorithm doesn't lie!

Last edited by Alnjpn; 1 Day Ago at 08:01 AM.
1 Day Ago   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Huh? Easy enough done! Don't post to Flickr! .
I don’t. But I suspect that I might be in the minority if the Pentax Forum were polled.

My point was that I find it difficult to imagine getting excited for having a photo “selected” as special when a) you have no real idea of the criteria, and b) the selection is a result of an algorithm.

It is difficult for me to imagine an algorithm seeing the “soul” or feeling of an image - the rendered story that the photographer is trying to convey.
1 Day Ago - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

My point was that I find it difficult to imagine getting excited for having a photo “selected” as special when a) you have no real idea of the criteria, and b) the selection is a result of an algorithm.
For me, it's not so much that my image gets selected, I really appreciate the "Faves" I get. When time allows, I will look at the Flickr pages of some of who leave comments, and I have discovered a lot of talented and created photographers in that way.
1 Day Ago   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
+1 To that. The few of my images selected were flowers, butterflies or spiders. I realize that the selection is random so do not get excited about it but those images generally do get more visits and "faves".