Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2020, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DPR TV 'best and worst' awards in pictures

Well, the boys over at DPR decided to get drunk in new and fun ways while giving out their annual awards.

Don't get me wrong, I get a kick out of their antic's and they seem nice enough, but I don't always agree with their reviews, especially their take on Pentax which is usually pretty dismissive.

The only good thing seeming to come out of not announcing a new camera this year from Ricoh is that Pentax was being left out of the Best/ Worst show trashing for bodies.

Though Ricoh Pentax did release what I would have thought would have been stellar candidate to win the 85mm lens category and it didn't even get an honorable mention. I'm not sure what's worse, being trashed or totally ignored?

I'm not even sure why I still look at that site other than having a couple of old friends still there from waaaay back on the Pentax subforum at DPR.

Anywho, for anyone interested to see their drunken drivel, it's listed on DPR's front page still.
Eric

12-08-2020, 12:58 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Too much video, not enough information, and I stopped watched it after a few minutes.
12-08-2020, 01:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Well, the boys over at DPR decided to get drunk in new and fun ways while giving out their annual awards.

Don't get me wrong, I get a kick out of their antic's and they seem nice enough, but I don't always agree with their reviews, especially their take on Pentax which is usually pretty dismissive.

The only good thing seeming to come out of not announcing a new camera this year from Ricoh is that Pentax was being left out of the Best/ Worst show trashing for bodies.

Though Ricoh Pentax did release what I would have thought would have been stellar candidate to win the 85mm lens category and it didn't even get an honorable mention. I'm not sure what's worse, being trashed or totally ignored?

I'm not even sure why I still look at that site other than having a couple of old friends still there from waaaay back on the Pentax subforum at DPR.

Anywho, for anyone interested to see their drunken drivel, it's listed on DPR's front page still.
Eric
Chris and Jordan are usually enthusiastic about Pentax bodies, although not big fans of the K-1 II.

Their copy of the new 85 was apparently not a good one, so better they ignored it rather than place it on the "worst lens" list.
12-08-2020, 01:17 PM - 3 Likes   #4
mee
Veteran Member

Eric
You guys are like cats when it comes to DPR. Looking at the door, so the door is opened, but you don't like what is on the other side so you stand there looking around. Then the door is closed so you scratch at the door.

Either be satisfied that they aren't mocking your beloved branded products for once or put on thicker skin when they do.

12-08-2020, 01:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Chris and Jordan are usually enthusiastic about Pentax bodies, although not big fans of the K-1 II.

Their copy of the new 85 was apparently not a good one, so better they ignored it rather than place it on the "worst lens" list.
If I haven't given them a fair shake, I should apologize, I've only seen their reviews post-joining DPR and based on the K-1 as you mention, I hadn't followed them before that.

Also agree on the 85mm if they got a bad copy. You would think RP would make sure to QC the copies going out but who knows how many reviewers bounced that lens around before DPR got it... from the way I've seen Kai W. handle review copies of lenses, I wouldn't want to buy one of his cast off's after he got done reviewing one.

Also probably worth noting Rodger C's article from Lens Rentals about how lens quality control works behind the scenes... lots of moving parts to that process, but they really have to get this stuff right. Could be the best lens in the world, but if the reviewer gets a bad or abused copy, the bad review can kill consumer confidence. Bragging rights about giving a random sample to a reviewer isn't worth the chance of giving them a bad copy in my opinion. My personal take is that the reviewer should get the best copy possible, and that if the consumer gets a lesser quality copy, then based on the review they should keep returning it until they get an optimal copy as was reviewed.
12-08-2020, 01:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I watched it the other day, these guys are local to me and I actually bought my K1 in person from Chris while he still worked at The Camera Store in Calgary. I don't feel like they dislike Pentax, even when I bought my K1 Chris had lots of good things say about it. They make all their income off these youtube videos now though so they are focused on what gets views and likes, so it's all mirrorless and whatever is newest. Their opinions are worth only a little more than anyone else though, and only because they get to handle and use more gear than most of us. Jordan is a pretty decent videographer but photography wise they are just average and mostly gear heads which is of course the focus of their show. I found the video to be a complete waste of my time though and only barely entertaining.
12-08-2020, 01:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You guys are like cats when it comes to DPR. Looking at the door, so the door is opened, but you don't like what is on the other side so you stand there looking around. Then the door is closed so you scratch at the door.

Either be satisfied that they aren't mocking your beloved branded products for once or put on thicker skin when they do.
Maybe true... but once the cat has it's tail slammed in the door a few times, it tends to anticipate it.

12-08-2020, 01:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
I watched it the other day, these guys are local to me and I actually bought my K1 in person from Chris while he still worked at The Camera Store in Calgary. I don't feel like they dislike Pentax, even when I bought my K1 Chris had lots of good things say about it. They make all their income off these youtube videos now though so they are focused on what gets views and likes, so it's all mirrorless and whatever is newest. Their opinions are worth only a little more than anyone else though, and only because they get to handle and use more gear than most of us. Jordan is a pretty decent videographer but photography wise they are just average and mostly gear heads which is of course the focus of their show. I found the video to be a complete waste of my time though and only barely entertaining.
That is interesting and nice to know about Chris selling you your K1, its funny how our opinions can be shaped by where we see the info as much as who says it. I guess some of us get jaded towards DPR and previous bad reviews and assume Chris and Jordan will just perpetuate more of the same, like DXO sitting on the Pentax 645Z numbers for so long, now I can't look at DXO with the same benefit of the doubt as I used to... Mea culpa if I'm not being fair to the Chris.
12-08-2020, 01:51 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Ever since Chris and Jordan jumped on the DPR, I hardly watch any of their videos. I guess the management has ruined their content.
12-08-2020, 02:16 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I hadn't followed them before that.
Well, the story is they were both counter jockeys at theCameraStore in Calgary and started doing YouTube in their spare time.It became successful and then DP came knocking with an offer.Jordans wife and another guy took over TheCameraStore YouTube channel.

Jordan is a pretty decent videographer
He has a degree in cinema,also a member of this forum but doesnt post often.
12-08-2020, 02:16 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
Ever since Chris and Jordan jumped on the DPR, I hardly watch any of their videos. I guess the management has ruined their content.
That's interesting as I don't feel like their style or content has changed all that much from when it was The Camera Store TV. They still goof around and make the same bad jokes and obsess over gear comparisons that mostly don't matter. I think the industry and equipment has changed a lot, but not their style. They do have a bias toward the big brands (canon and sony) - lets face it everyone is biased one way or another including us. But I don't feel like they go out of their way to disparage Pentax or anyone else for that matter. Calling them dismissive toward Pentax might be fair considering how small a player Pentax is, but my personal interaction with Chris left me with the impression he actually is a quiet fan of our favourite underdog brand. He praised the handling, build quality, weather sealing, and the limited lenses, same as folks around here do.
12-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe true... but once the cat has it's tail slammed in the door a few times, it tends to anticipate it.
Probably right. But again, I don’t think there’s an anti-Pentax attitude.
12-08-2020, 02:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian

That's interesting as I don't feel like their style or content has changed all that much from when it was The Camera Store TV. They still goof around and make the same bad jokes and obsess over gear comparisons that mostly don't matter. I think the industry and equipment has changed a lot, but not their style. They do have a bias toward the big brands (canon and sony) - lets face it everyone is biased one way or another including us. But I don't feel like they go out of their way to disparage Pentax or anyone else for that matter. Calling them dismissive toward Pentax might be fair considering how small a player Pentax is, but my personal interaction with Chris left me with the impression he actually is a quiet fan of our favourite underdog brand. He praised the handling, build quality, weather sealing, and the limited lenses, same as folks around here do.
Yes, seems quite similar to me.I think they do a good job but not a fan of their end of year DRUNKEN episode(but its a tradition now).

Being fans of the bigger brands?Those brands have more to review so it may appear they favour them?

It'll be interesting when the K3x3 comes,it will be compared directly with Fuji I'd guess because it will use the same sensor.Should be fun to see how it rates in next years DRUNKEN episode?
12-08-2020, 02:50 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Also agree on the 85mm if they got a bad copy. You would think RP would make sure to QC the copies going out but who knows how many reviewers bounced that lens around before DPR got it... from the way I've seen Kai W. handle review copies of lenses, I wouldn't want to buy one of his cast off's after he got done reviewing one.
Perhaps in this context a "bad copy" means "a copy which has thoroughly reviewed before it reached your hands"
12-08-2020, 02:51 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Being fans of the bigger brands?Those brands have more to review so it may appear they favour them?
This is exactly what I was thinking as I wrote my earlier comment. As gear reviewers how could they help but be a little biased towards the companies that are putting out tons of new stuff. Heck, I have no plans to switch but I am constantly reading up on those new product releases and watching their videos about them. It is exciting to see the industry evolve. If I had more money to spare for my hobby I would love to try out all that gear and probably own multiple systems. But I don't shoot enough or make any money from my shooting to justify it when I quite like what I have.