Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2020, 03:56 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You guys are like cats when it comes to DPR. Looking at the door, so the door is opened, but you don't like what is on the other side so you stand there looking around. Then the door is closed so you scratch at the door.

Either be satisfied that they aren't mocking your beloved branded products for once or put on thicker skin when they do.
It's very easy, Mee, DPR is a crap site, an advertising front for Amazon with all that implies, home of shoddy 'journalism', reviews by people who can't take pictures, forums full of trolls, and we don't need to go there at all.

Life's too short.

12-08-2020, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Also agree on the 85mm if they got a bad copy. You would think RP would make sure to QC the copies going out but who knows how many reviewers bounced that lens around before DPR got it... from the way I've seen Kai W. handle review copies of lenses, I wouldn't want to buy one of his cast off's after he got done reviewing one.

Also probably worth noting Rodger C's article from Lens Rentals about how lens quality control works behind the scenes... lots of moving parts to that process, but they really have to get this stuff right. Could be the best lens in the world, but if the reviewer gets a bad or abused copy, the bad review can kill consumer confidence. Bragging rights about giving a random sample to a reviewer isn't worth the chance of giving them a bad copy in my opinion. My personal take is that the reviewer should get the best copy possible, and that if the consumer gets a lesser quality copy, then based on the review they should keep returning it until they get an optimal copy as was reviewed.
I totally agree with you, but others don't. I want to see the absolutely best possible copy of a lens, so I know how it should perform.
12-08-2020, 05:21 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I think DPR's video stars are getting the message that gratuitous bashing of Pentax -- which they have done, I'm afraid, albeit in a sidelong manner that can be argued as passing for comedy but that nonetheless disparages a solid camera maker unnecessarily -- is passé.
12-08-2020, 05:26 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
I think DPR's video stars are getting the message that gratuitous bashing of Pentax -- which they have done, I'm afraid, albeit in a sidelong manner that can be argued as passing for comedy but that nonetheless disparages a solid camera maker unnecessarily -- is passé.
Chris and Jordan don't take shots at Pentax so much as they take shots at Pentaxians.

I find it amusing, tbh.

12-08-2020, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think they are anti Pentax or anti Pentaxians. They're like everyone else posting videos. They make what they believe will get them the most views.
12-08-2020, 07:53 PM   #21
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Chris and Jordan don't take shots at Pentax so much as they take shots at Pentaxians.

I find it amusing, tbh.
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I don't think they are anti Pentax or anti Pentaxians. They're like everyone else posting videos. They make what they believe will get them the most views.

Yes. This is true. And, on the whole, their reviews are rather fair imo.
12-08-2020, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

I find it all rather funny myself. I have seen their Pentax reviews going back for years and I find them to be fair, but the response they get from Pentaxians including on this forum is hilariously over the top. They end up a bit defensive because of it for sure. To be clear I don't really equate them with the rest of DPR, and that may just be my personal bias due them being from here, but The Camera Store in Calgary is a fantastic shop to deal with and they were front and centre in that business. There is a lot of pentax gear around this city and a lot of it came from that shop. I personally believe them when they say they aren't against Pentax and my personal interactions support that.

12-08-2020, 08:52 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
I find it all rather funny myself. I have seen their Pentax reviews going back for years and I find them to be fair, but the response they get from Pentaxians including on this forum is hilariously over the top. They end up a bit defensive because of it for sure. To be clear I don't really equate them with the rest of DPR, and that may just be my personal bias due them being from here, but The Camera Store in Calgary is a fantastic shop to deal with and they were front and centre in that business. There is a lot of pentax gear around this city and a lot of it came from that shop. I personally believe them when they say they aren't against Pentax and my personal interactions support that.
Both guys are good individually and good as a team. I'm not knocking them personally. DPR's approach to Pentax, they will merely have inherited. DPR's approach to Pentax has
had some low moments, though. Any review of K-3iii could be a watershed event.
12-09-2020, 02:44 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DP what ?
12-09-2020, 06:04 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
That's interesting as I don't feel like their style or content has changed all that much from when it was The Camera Store TV. They still goof around and make the same bad jokes and obsess over gear comparisons that mostly don't matter. I think the industry and equipment has changed a lot, but not their style. They do have a bias toward the big brands (canon and sony) - lets face it everyone is biased one way or another including us. But I don't feel like they go out of their way to disparage Pentax or anyone else for that matter. Calling them dismissive toward Pentax might be fair considering how small a player Pentax is, but my personal interaction with Chris left me with the impression he actually is a quiet fan of our favourite underdog brand. He praised the handling, build quality, weather sealing, and the limited lenses, same as folks around here do.
Reading this thread, I realized that I haven't tuned into The Camera Store's TV on camera gear, pretty well since they left the store and started working for DPR. I've never watched DPR enough to form any sort of opinion on them.

I live on the prairies and get to Alberta on a semi regular basis. Have thought of visiting The Camera Store in Calgary as the store's website looked pretty interesting a couple of years ago, when I would watch their shows.

I completely forgot about it, till reading this thread. Probably should check it out again.
12-09-2020, 07:19 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I like their videos, they're entertaining, they're knowledgeable, and they don't take themselves too seriously.

At least Pentax didn't get any razzy reviews this year, but then they released very little, and what they did release got almost no mention anywhere on DPR (surprise, surprise). They gave a taste of what's usually reserved for Pentax (poor review for a good product) to Fuji though, rating their 50mm f/1.0 lens as the worst lens release. It's reputedly very sharp, it has good rendering and I believe it's back-ordered. Yes it's expensive, big, heavy and doesn't excel wide open at f/1.0, but considering it's (I believe) the only AF f/1.0 lens to have ever existed, I think they did pretty well.
12-10-2020, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax didn't really release much new gear to get into a video like this.

The DFA *85 is a top notch lens, but I don't think it is surprising it wasn't featured.
12-10-2020, 04:52 AM   #28
Pentaxian

As a side-note, and in typical DPR fashion, their "best lenses of 2020" poll mis-states the name of the 85mm as the FA* rather than the DFA*.

In non-typical DPR style they don't slate it in their brief description and they included it in the poll.
12-10-2020, 08:43 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
As a side-note, and in typical DPR fashion, their "best lenses of 2020" poll mis-states the name of the 85mm as the FA* rather than the DFA*.

In non-typical DPR style they don't slate it in their brief description and they included it in the poll.
"HD Pentax-D FA* 85mm F1.4 ED SDM AW" is what it says in the poll.
12-10-2020, 09:02 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Well, at least Pentax didn't make it into the worst parts. Hahaha! Then again, they haven't released anything lately.