Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2020, 06:48 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just another reason I don't use Instagram.

12-21-2020, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

Can't help but wonder: if Instagram terms are so bad how come that so many professionals - individual photographers and institutions, art galleries and magazines - publish their material on that platform?
12-21-2020, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't think Instagram is so bad, but certainly you can limit the content you put out there -- probably should do that for any social media platform for that matter.
12-21-2020, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by talgarik Quote
Can't help but wonder: if Instagram terms are so bad how come that so many professionals - individual photographers and institutions, art galleries and magazines - publish their material on that platform?
I don't think Instagram has abused their users as much as they might legally be permitted to abuse them.

Many people don't fully understand the Terms of Service (TOS). Remember that a team of attorneys wrote it in their favor. It's cost-prohibitive for every user to do the same.

My admittedly limited understanding is that Instagram has the option to resell your photos and give you nothing. Taken to an extreme, let's pretend you post a great travel photo on Instagram. The local tourism council wants to use it in an ad campaign. You quote a price of $500. Instagram, meanwhile, starts selling photos for $1.99, and the tourism council goes there to legally use your photo.

12-26-2020, 09:37 PM   #20

Just to stir the pot, imagine Pentax forums decided to change their TOS and they stated, that all users grant Pentax forums retroactively basically full rights of ownership to any and all pictures, just like IG or Facebook, or every other social media platform. There are some wicked pictures on this site that would get a pretty penny, at least in my mind, and the original owner/uploader wouldn't get a dime, and no one would know if and when it happened until they saw their picture somewhere.

You get a platform to show off your stuff, they get a product to exploit in any way they see fit. Everyone needs to decided for themselves that they are OK with that.

There aren't many options though, don't participate, build your own, or use a paid service that explicitly states only you own your intellectual property other that that there isn't much you can do.

One question which isn't clear. What if the picture they sell is considered illegal, ie pictures that run afoul of the law or whatever reason. obscenity, restricted areas, etc. Do they get charged for selling it or do they deflect and say we don't own it we just usurped some of the rights so they could make a buck?
12-27-2020, 11:23 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe it’s more basic than a grab on photogs IP.

Maybe it’s just driven by their lawyers, so that the platform does not get sued because someone pulls down an image from their site and uses it.

Not that I support this approach either, but I can understand it.

The bottom line is, if you don’t want it taken off the internet and used, don’t post it
12-27-2020, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by R. Wethereyet Quote
Full text of the new terms are available here: Terms of Use | Instagram Help Center
I don't know what it means, but that link is now already dead.

12-28-2020, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
He’s the new link
Terms of Use | Instagram Help Center

---------- Post added 12-28-20 at 08:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by xavier_zinn Quote
Just to stir the pot, imagine Pentax forums decided to change their TOS and they stated, that all users grant Pentax forums retroactively basically full rights of ownership to any and all pictures, just like IG or Facebook, or every other social media platform. There are some wicked pictures on this site that would get a pretty penny, at least in my mind, and the original owner/uploader wouldn't get a dime, and no one would know if and when it happened until they saw their picture somewhere.

You get a platform to show off your stuff, they get a product to exploit in any way they see fit. Everyone needs to decided for themselves that they are OK with that.

There aren't many options though, don't participate, build your own, or use a paid service that explicitly states only you own your intellectual property other that that there isn't much you can do.

One question which isn't clear. What if the picture they sell is considered illegal, ie pictures that run afoul of the law or whatever reason. obscenity, restricted areas, etc. Do they get charged for selling it or do they deflect and say we don't own it we just usurped some of the rights so they could make a buck?
One thing that perhaps the forums should do, which is done on the only other site I post photos on, is to put a credit you with copy write directly in the photo. Check I out how eBird does things. It might be a good idea.
01-12-2021, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've thought that at 1080 x 1080 what could they actually sell. But then there are a lot of people (probably the majority) who only ever see an image on a phone.