Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2020, 05:44 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
New Taxes on Imports from Vietnam

Trump's final trade jab may be tariffs on Vietnamese goods: experts

Given Pentax’s lenses are from Vietnam it is conceivable this could impact their pricing.

12-21-2020, 05:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ouch, a lot of production has moved to Vietnam recently, Ricoh moved the GR III there.
12-21-2020, 05:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Ouch, a lot of production has moved to Vietnam recently, Ricoh moved the GR III there.
Vietnam has been a winner in the US-China trade war. It looks like they might be punished for it.
12-21-2020, 06:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting development. With Trump leaving office maybe they will be cancelled, or short lived. But normally when politicians attack anything their predecessor did they ignore it once in office. Tariffs generally do nothing but raise consumer prices.

12-21-2020, 06:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's all we need , higher prices.
12-21-2020, 06:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Ah, I detest tariffs
12-21-2020, 06:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are ways to take the teeth out of tariffs without actually repealing them, so maybe that's what will happen under the new administration.

12-22-2020, 08:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ouch, my condolences.
12-24-2020, 01:55 AM   #9

crap. guess my hope of a price drop on the 150-450mm goes out the window.
12-24-2020, 03:03 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Imported from Vietnam or made in Vietnam? I'm sure a Japanese company could find a way round it if the former.
01-05-2021, 01:53 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
Ah, I detest tariffs
I do too, but that has to exist both ways.
01-05-2021, 01:56 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Imported from Vietnam or made in Vietnam? I'm sure a Japanese company could find a way round it if the former.
When Kodak had it's 35mm consumer cameras made in China in the 1990's there was another camera line right next to it. The cameras were all being stamped "Made in Japan". The Japanese had a very lose definition of what that statement really meant. Basically as long as they had control over the assembly line the "Made in Japan" label could be applied.
01-05-2021, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
When Kodak had it's 35mm consumer cameras made in China in the 1990's there was another camera line right next to it. The cameras were all being stamped "Made in Japan". The Japanese had a very lose definition of what that statement really meant. Basically as long as they had control over the assembly line the "Made in Japan" label could be applied.
The Japanese might have a lose definition, but don't count on that to be applied in other countries.

Some years ago, I bought a film changing tent from Calumet that was advertised by them as "Made in the USA". When it crossed the border into Canada, it turned out that while the product had been sewn at an American factory, the textiles to produce the tent had been sourced from China. Consequently, a fairly steep tariff was applied, as while both Canada and the USA had ratified NAFTA, we didn't have a similar agreement with China.

I don't know if it's still this way, but for the longest time, a company was importing men's shirts into Canada from India, and was allowed to put a "Made in Canada" tag onto it because the buttons were sewn on in Toronto.

The world on international tariffs is a very weird one.
01-12-2021, 07:33 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The Japanese might have a lose definition, but don't count on that to be applied in other countries.

Some years ago, I bought a film changing tent from Calumet that was advertised by them as "Made in the USA". When it crossed the border into Canada, it turned out that while the product had been sewn at an American factory, the textiles to produce the tent had been sourced from China. Consequently, a fairly steep tariff was applied, as while both Canada and the USA had ratified NAFTA, we didn't have a similar agreement with China.

I don't know if it's still this way, but for the longest time, a company was importing men's shirts into Canada from India, and was allowed to put a "Made in Canada" tag onto it because the buttons were sewn on in Toronto.

The world on international tariffs is a very weird one.
For my Canadian friends I'm just going to offer up this link here, has info on trade/duty on photo gear prices sorted from the web!
Photography, Digital Camera, Lens Price Comparisons for Canada - photoprice.ca
Duty: Special Tax on Imports
Duty is often misunderstood. Also known as a tariff, it's a special kind of tax that you pay to the Canadian government when you import goods. Duties can be imposed to help protect local industry (making it more difficult for foreign manufacturers to compete with Canadian manufacturers). Duty rates can vary from 0% (duty free) to 20%, depending on the type of goods. Most photographic equipment is duty free, when imported from most countries, including the States. This means you pay no duty! This includes most products such as SLR and point-and-shoot cameras and lenses. For other goods, check out the Canadian Border Services Website. You can also check out our list of Duties on Photography Equipment for a complete list of photography equipment duties.

Want to be extra sure? You can call the Canadian Border Information Service Hotline and ask an agent specifically about the duty on a particular item. The phone number is 1-800-461-9999.

Last edited by SharkyCA; 01-12-2021 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Adding info on Canadian taxes\duty