Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2008, 10:40 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
Is there any type of photos/photography that annoys you.
Photos that sell for $1, $10, $100, $1000, $10000, .... that aren't mine.

In looking at the other posts in this thread, I'm guilty of annoying everyone that posted. Oh well, just close your eyes and imagine your happy place.

Last edited by poco; 11-15-2008 at 10:56 PM.
11-15-2008, 10:43 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am greatly annoyed by photos that are not level with the object they are photographing. You know the ones I mean, the mountain hiking path is at 45 degrees up hill! But then I notice that the trees are leaning 35 degrees the other way ....
11-15-2008, 11:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by poco Quote
Photos that sell for $1, $10, $100, $1000, $10000, .... that aren't mine.

In looking at the other posts in this thread, I'm guilty of annoying everyone that posted. Oh well, just close your eyes and imagine your happy place.

perfect. Me too.
11-15-2008, 11:56 PM   #19

I am not a big fan of pictures of "US STANDING OUTSIDE OF WHERE EVER"

I have spent quite a bit of China this year and for them, that is the only sort of picture you take. With hundreds of fake objects & props that are totally out of place with the environment that they are in, just so people can have a picture taken beside it. Don't forget the V sign as the camera clicks away.

It was hard to explain and to convey my joy of taking pictures of places, scenery, landscapes and buildings for their beauty. I like natural real life pictures of people and not contrived posed shots. Not to have my less than ideal head in the way.

Constantly I was man handled, so my camera could be taken from me and my picture taken in front of such and such. So I have a huge collection of out of focus and poorly composed pictures of me because of their lack of knowledge in my camera.

11-16-2008, 12:01 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
"BTW, I do bonsai with a friend and take heaps of bonsai photos..... most people think i am weird and hate the photos. "

Those weird too small trees.

Mickey
Yes, those weird too small trees. Great fun to do though...... no instant gratification though. Takes a while till you get fun out of it. It is a great way for me to learn patience.

Bird shots, like an eagle snatching a fish, are great. Some rare bird sitting in a tree...yawn.

mike
11-16-2008, 12:07 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote

perfect. Me too.
I'm guilty of some too... (not HDR - hate that stuff (not the kind people say looks realistic as I've never noticed that exists, but the other kind - ugh!)). I selectively desaturated an image once (at the recommendation of another member here), and liked the results just fine (the pic was of my son, my mom recently told me the image was so beautiful it made here cry, but she's a bit biased about her first grandson, and she'd probably like HDR too). I generally hate mullets, so I'll have to avoid this from now on in order to stay cool .

One thing that really bugs me (already mentioned) is intentionally off level horizons... a few degrees by accident, yeah I've done that and missed it before showing the photo, but a boring photo of a park bench is still boring when it's 35 deg. off level - it's just annoying and boring now.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I'm guilty of the occasional bird and / or flower shots too... I might get banned soon.
11-16-2008, 12:49 AM   #22

Is there any type of photos/photography that annoys you.
Baby photo's!

It's the only type of photo that makes me avoid a thread. I just don't think they are cute ...

11-16-2008, 02:42 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
not HDR - hate that stuff (not the kind people say looks realistic as I've never noticed that exists

Does this help in any way? Taken at noon. One picture = blown higlights + shadows. 7 photos later, and this is what you can do with HDR:

To keep the topic going, I admit I've had enough of baby photos; myspace shots and photography that doesnt tell me anything.
11-16-2008, 03:16 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is great example of HDR being invisible. ie, the photo looks true to life. In this respect HDR is a very useful photographic tool.

If you didn't mention the shot was HDR then no one would know.

BTW, i take heaps of shots of kids because i have kids and they have parties etc. Kids make great portrait subjects because they have such great skin and expressions. However, those shots are nice for me and the other parents but I completely understand how they just annoy other people, especially those that don't have kids. The little terrors are only special to their own parents/carers.

mike
11-16-2008, 03:19 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While it doesn't greatly annoy me, I really like capturing unposed shots of people. So I'll say I have less appreciation of posed shots.

Dan.
11-16-2008, 03:30 AM   #26
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Street is like Jazz music for me. I know i am missing something, but I just don't get it, and don't care.
Well Wheatfield, it doesn't apply to Street for me, but your comparison is certainly one of the best I've ever read. I couldn't have put in better words what I feel for insect shots .... even if I often admire the skill and devotion of the people who take them right.
11-16-2008, 05:21 AM   #27
Veteran Member

This thread is hilarious! "The photographic equivalent of the mullet" -- LOL! It's great to see how some of my own photos might be playing with some of these cliches... or ignoring them altogether.

QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
Incidental cars. I don't know why, but having an incidental car in the picture will frequently ruin it for me.
I agree; I hate cars. I don't even like pictures where the cars are not incidental. So here's me breaking the rule.

Drive-In Toilet

Incidental wires are another thing. One of the rules of urban photography for me is: avoid cars, avoid wires. Except that I have recently learned to love wires.

Constructivist Skyline

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I am greatly annoyed by photos that are not level with the object they are photographing. You know the ones I mean, the mountain hiking path is at 45 degrees up hill! But then I notice that the trees are leaning 35 degrees the other way ....
And here's a shot in which I deliberately play with this:

Transmission

Bird photos. I just don't get it.
Me neither. Who would take a shot of a boring bird sitting on a branch?

Bold Starling

Flowers. This one is weird. I don't like looking at 90% of them i but i enjoy taking them.
Exactly.

The Pink Dominion

QuoteOriginally posted by craig1024 Quote
It's not so much the subject, but I hate HDR! I can't stand it.
Especially that really obvious overdone HDR. Who would ever want to do that?

Shannon Residence III: Gothic Version

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
"Street Photography".
Um, no comment?

The Great Escape

Sorry, no baby photos or moon shots. Still working on those!
11-16-2008, 08:17 AM   #28

I guess some of this reflects those songs that you hate but are stuck in your head and you end up singing anyway.

We would all be guilty of breaking our own 'rules' over what we like and what we don't like.
11-16-2008, 08:26 AM   #29
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
The ones I take for clients, who choose not to pay me for whatever reason, or need many reminders to cough up.
11-16-2008, 08:58 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woodworm Quote
Baby photo's!

It's the only type of photo that makes me avoid a thread. I just don't think they are cute ...

"Screw You, Woodworm!!"

(know what you mean woodworm, but some of us just cant help it!)