Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2021, 08:13 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canadian magazine PhotoLife -- Last issue March 2021

The small Canadian bimonthly photography magazine PhotoLife has announced that its last edition will be March 2021.

Photo Life

I've been a subscriber for several years, and always enjoyed the magazine. Typically, each issue included interesting essays, interviews with prominent photographers, and small articles on gear or techniques. It carried a few advertisements, but tended to focus on the art of photography rather than the latest camera or lens. Each issue was printed on quality paper and gave an impression of a well-curated and carefully-produced publication.

The magazine's demise is attributed to the increasing challenges faced by print publications--especially photography--and the significant effects of the pandemic including loss of advertising revenue.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-20-2021 at 08:19 AM.
01-20-2021, 08:40 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
The small Canadian bimonthly photography magazine PhotoLife has announced that its last edition will be March 2021.

Photo Life

I've been a subscriber for several years, and always enjoyed the magazine. Typically, each issue included interesting essays, interviews with prominent photographers, and small articles on gear or techniques. It carried a few advertisements, but tended to focus on the art of photography rather than the latest camera or lens. Each issue was printed on quality paper and gave an impression of a well-curated and carefully-produced publication.

The magazine's demise is attributed to the increasing challenges faced by print publications--especially photography--and the significant effects of the pandemic including loss of advertising revenue.

I better go find the last edition.

- Craig
Sad, over the last 30 years I've only picked up issues from the news stand, I did have a subscription for a few years. It was definitely my favourite magazine to pick up off the news stand though. It's disappointing next time I'm going on trip and need some reading material that it won't be there.

I'll definitely make an effort to find the last edition.
01-20-2021, 08:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'll definitely make an effort to find the last edition.
Regrettably, they say it won't be on the newsstand -- you have to pre-order it through their website store. They're trying to control the printing run.

- Craig
01-20-2021, 09:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Regrettably, they say it won't be on the newsstand -- you have to pre-order it through their website store. They're trying to control the printing run.

- Craig
I'll get right on that before I forget.

01-20-2021, 12:55 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Such a shame - I always look forward to receiving PhotoLife. They concentrated on the art and craft of photography rather than the acquisition of gear, which made a nice change.
01-20-2021, 01:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I still get PhotoNews , which is free. Quite a number of years ago I was at one of the better camera stores in the 'Peg and they were giving out free subscriptions to this magazine, which I signed up for and the free mags continue to come. Not a bad mag, but seems to promote certain manufacturers goods, not including Pentax. But then again, how much did I pay for it.

Photo Life. I'm not that familiar with. I don't know if they had much of a presence in Western Canada. I may have seen the odd issue at a newsstand, over the years.

However, sad to see yet another print journal close down and I've always liked print magazines. I recall the golden era of magazines, which to me was the 1960's. Magazines, many then had a lot of editorial, advertising and were very competitive in getting out information. The newsstands were over full of glossy magazines competing for consumer attention.
01-21-2021, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

As a teenager in May 1980, I had the misfortune of a bicycle accident that broke my arm and had me laying up in hospital for a week waiting for the swelling to go down so they could make a proper cast and send me home. At the time I was saving up for my first 35mm SLR and was eager for any information about taking photography seriously. When family and friends asked if I needed anything (aside from the tiny hospital rental TV that showed nothing of interest to a male teen in the daytime hours) I asked for camera magazines, and the latest issue of Photo Life was greatly appreciated. I read that cover to cover at least five times over the week. I remember the editor at the time was Norm Rosen, and I read his column several times over too.

Oddly enough, in the early '90s, I ran into Norm in Grand Bend, Ontario, when I was editor of one of the local papers, and he'd been doing a photo shoot offshore with power boats. We chatted for just a few minutes before duty called.

It saddens me a bit, to see the demise of yet another publication, photography or otherwise. I do miss the times when information about our hobby came in monthly packages, carefully selected to fit in the page count, and checked for accuracy and relevance ... and there aren't pages of comments at the bottom of each page proclaiming why each new camera is already obsolete, overpriced, and badly designed.

R.I.P. Photo Life.

01-21-2021, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's always sad to see publications disappear.
01-22-2021, 11:49 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photo Life

- Craig
I had a lifetime free subscription to Photo Life that came as a job perk from a company I worked for in the 1980s. Over time it became less and less relevant until about 15 years ago I stopped renewing it as it had been going straight from the mailbox to the recycling bin for years.
01-23-2021, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #10
dbs
Pentaxian

Free never holds value
01-23-2021, 08:13 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Free never holds value
Well, there is an old saying. "You get what you pay for."
01-23-2021, 08:26 PM   #12
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Well, there is an old saying. "You get what you pay for."
True

But in this case others were quite happy to purchase the mag and lament its lose