Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2021, 06:15 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Fujifilm ups the MF ante

The just-announced 102 MP Fujifilm GFX100S, at only 900 g in weight (body) compared to 925 g for the Pentax K1, seems to up the ante in the 44x33 crop-MF space. The accompanying 80 mm f/1.7 portrait lens is also very compelling. There are 12 modern lenses in the lineup, from 23 mm to 250 mm, and including three zooms, and all are WR.

The GFX100S has 5-axis IBIS, 425 phase detect AF points, a 3.69 Dot EVF with 100% coverage, 3-way tilting touchscreen, and 5 fps (Raw) for up to 16 frames.

Although the ergonomics does not look great to me, I guess I would get used to it. It is a pity Pentax doesn't seem to be trying in MF anymore. I don't shoot MF at the moment, but would be tempted if a 645Z update/replacement came out. But I don't think they intend to compete. The GFX100S or the older GFX50S with a couple of lenses might be the better option for me. I'll keep an eye on the reviews.

01-28-2021, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The just-announced 102 MP Fujifilm GFX100S, at only 900 g in weight (body) compared to 925 g for the Pentax K1, seems to up the ante in the 44x33 crop-MF space. The accompanying 80 mm f/1.7 portrait lens is also very compelling. There are 12 modern lenses in the lineup, from 23 mm to 250 mm, and including three zooms, and all are WR.

The GFX100S has 5-axis IBIS, 425 phase detect AF points, a 3.69 Dot EVF with 100% coverage, 3-way tilting touchscreen, and 5 fps (Raw) for up to 16 frames.

Although the ergonomics does not look great to me, I guess I would get used to it. It is a pity Pentax doesn't seem to be trying in MF anymore. I don't shoot MF at the moment, but would be tempted if a 645Z update/replacement came out. But I don't think they intend to compete. The GFX100S or the older GFX50S with a couple of lenses might be the better option for me. I'll keep an eye on the reviews.
For those convinced of the need (want) of a MF camera it sure looks like Fuji is well in the game. I'm not confident Pentax will bring out a medium format update, so I wouldn't sit around waiting on them if that's the format you need. This Fuji is a great camera on paper.

IMHO it's such an investment for the questionable benefit it would offer me personally it's not for me. Heck I passed over a Pentax 645Z with a pair of lenses (a 55 and I think a 75?) 2 batteries, etc. for just $2500. This one is way above my head.

If I made a living from my photography, and depending on the subject matter, dropping 10K on a camera and two or three compatible lenses might make sense. Then there's those who can afford one just to play with. I kinda wish I was one of those guys as I'd love to try it out.

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-28-2021 at 06:39 PM.
01-28-2021, 07:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Some thoughtful perspectives; more questions than answers. Food for thought.

No, I'm not a professional and don't need a MF camera. But the MF look has always appealed, and suits the type of photography I favour. More interest than intent.
01-28-2021, 08:29 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Although the ergonomics does not look great to me, I guess I would get used to it.
$10,000 Paul.

When are you getting it?

I would be after bigger, not more, pixels in medium format for better performance, not ones half the size of the GFX50 or 645Z.

01-28-2021, 08:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
$10,000 Paul.

When are you getting it?

I would be after bigger, not more, pixels in medium format for better performance, not ones half the size of the GFX50 or 645Z.
Can I afford it? Yes.

Can I justify it? Probably not.

What I've seen from the GFX 100, with the same sensor, is impressive. The pixel density is comparable to the K3iii.
01-28-2021, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

The pixel density is comparable to the K3iii.
That's the issue. The pixel size has been reduced.

With a 645Z or Fuji/Hasselblad 50Mp, the pixels are big and beautiful, they're K-5IIs size.

Last edited by clackers; 01-29-2021 at 01:51 AM.
01-29-2021, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Although the ergonomics does not look great to me, I guess I would get used to it.
The other issue is about processing the raw files. I downloaded raw files from the GFX100 and tried to process them. I have a two years old Dell notebook, Intel I7- 8550 with 16Gb or RAM and 500GB of SSD.
When I process K3 files, it's real time display update. When I process K1 files display updates almost real time. When I process 645z files, it slows down but still manageable with some patience.
When I process GFX100 files, the raw file takes a while just to load in memory. Once the file is loaded, if I do changes of image processing sliders, I have to wait for 10.. 20.. 30 seconds to a display to reflect changes.
Either I have to get Capture One, and maybe also buy a gaming computer, on top of buying a GFX100S and lenses. I hope Fuji will provide guidance on what kind on computer and PP software works best for processing 102Mp raw files.

01-29-2021, 01:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I have to get Capture One,
Go to Fuji website,theres a free download.I'm not 100% sure how suitable it is for the GFX files but it may help.

The full version ofCaptureOne is U$299,maybe the lite version will do what you want?
01-29-2021, 02:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Go to Fuji website,theres a free download.I'm not 100% sure how suitable it is for the GFX files but it may help.
I see. Using camera engine to convert raws from computer, that's not bad at all.
01-29-2021, 02:09 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I see. Using camera engine to convert raws from computer, that's not bad at all.
Some people use it,The Fuji surveys reveal that X users are divided into 3 categories.

50% just shoot Jpeg...25% jpg+raw...25% raw only.I'm in majoriity but did get a 30 day free trial of full version.That deal is probably still around too.Maybe its a good way to see if it suits you?

I havent see the figures for GFX users but would think those owners would use Raw more than the crop owners.Maybe the reverse of the X owners?

If you read Jonas's assessment of 100S,he uses Jpeg lots.And tweeks them slightly.

---------- Post added 01-29-21 at 09:07 PM ----------

01-29-2021, 03:54 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Some people use it,The Fuji surveys reveal that X users are divided into 3 categories.50% just shoot Jpeg...25% jpg+raw...25% raw only.I'm in majoriity but did get a 30 day free trial of full version.That deal is probably still around too.Maybe its a good way to see if it suits you?I havent see the figures for GFX users but would think those owners would use Raw more than the crop owners.Maybe the reverse of the X owners?If you read Jonas's assessment of 100S,he uses Jpeg lots.And tweeks them slightly.
If I understood correctly, Fuji offers a raw converter based on Silkypix (same as Pentax) and X-RAW Studio that requires to have a camera phyically plugged in via usb.
If it's Silkypix, I don't need it, I already have it and it performs all Fuji JPEG simulations based on recognizing the camera model in from file exifs. It's very slow to compute on 102Mp file, more acceptable on 50Mp files. I have 645z DNG for comparison, they compute much faster, using the same software. If using X-Raw Studio, I don't see how I can try it if I don't have a Fuji camera plugged in.

P.S.: I shoot 100% RAW because OOC JPEGs work fine as long as the lighting is good and exposure centered, also no possible to retouch WB and CA on JPEGs. I only use out of camera JPEG for quick previews and quick wifi uploads (usually XS size ~2Mp). I'd be sad if I had a MF camera and limit myself to JPEGs.
01-29-2021, 04:05 AM   #12
Pentaxian

It's very slow to compute on
That old Dell!
01-29-2021, 04:41 AM   #13
Pentaxian

For $6,000 the 100S is the way to go I think. When I bought the 645Z last year I looked at the GFX 50r and 50s. I really liked the 50s but always wanted the 645Z and I got it for a great deal from Ricohs refurbished site.

I can't see many people spending the extra $4,000 for the GFX100 just for the built in grip and I think a little better EVF, I think most everything else is the same. And I can see people looking at the 50r and 50s and thinking well it's only a few thousand more for the 100s let me get that.
01-29-2021, 04:43 AM   #14
Pentaxian

That old Dell!
Not old, only two years old. I used my previous computer for 8 years before I upgraded. My monitor is from 2012, and still works perfect.

---------- Post added 29-01-21 at 12:47 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
For $6,000 the 100S is the way to go I think. When I bought the 645Z last year I looked at the GFX 50r and 50s. I really liked the 50s but always wanted the 645Z and I got it for a great deal from Ricohs refurbished site.
The camera is the hook. Then come the lenses. And for resolving the 102Mp the lenses must be good. In the GF lineup, the 32-64 isn't up to the task, go for primes or the 45-100 and 2 x primes, that's goes to 6K (body)+3x2.5K (lenses) , 13.5K total, not cheap at all.
01-29-2021, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Not old, only two years old. I used my previous computer for 8 years before I upgraded. My monitor is from 2012, and still works perfect.
I'm using an Alienware Aurora R10 (Ryzen) w/32GB memory and even with a very fast and up-to-date station I wouldn't be enamored with the time required to process a few hundred RAW images following a shoot. K1-sized files are plenty large for what I need. IMO the Fuji is for "special needs" and not as a regular shooter, just as the 645Z is.

...but I'd still like a try with it.
I did get a brief chance with a 645Z and while it had a familiar Pentax feel it seemed to require a more deliberate shooting style than I use, and lacking any "special need" for it I don't ever see a medium format camera in my future unless I trip over one that goes unclaimed.

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-29-2021 at 05:00 AM.