Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2021, 03:19 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Yes. What's your point? The article was about income overall not camera sales.
My point is, I think you were hiding that Sony's camera sales declined, Winder, that was very naughty of you. Where do I click on this interface to give that post a 'Dislike' reaction?

Please don't plead ignorance. If you don't read the contents of your own links, that's not our fault.

Your thread title indicated the propaganda you were keen to post on a camera forum, when you should have posted it on a TV forum. That's where Sony's extra sales came from. Unlike you, I actually read the report.

02-04-2021, 04:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
In other words, you've started a rather pointless thread.
Sony makes the sensors that Ricoh and other are using as well as some of the rear screens and EVFs and who knows what other components. How they are doing as a whole might be of some interest to some people.

If you're not interested then don't read about it.

---------- Post added 02-04-21 at 05:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
My point is, I think you were hiding that Sony's camera sales declined, Winder, that was very naughty of you. Where do I click on this interface to give that post a 'Dislike' reaction?

Please don't plead ignorance. If you don't read the contents of your own links, that's not our fault.

Your thread title indicated the propaganda you were keen to post on a camera forum, when you should have posted it on a TV forum. That's where Sony's extra sales came from. Unlike you, I actually read the report.

LOL. I copied and pasted the title and the link. I has no idea people would get worked up about it. I should have known.
02-04-2021, 05:05 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I copied and pasted the title and the link.
You were that superficial?

You saw something about Sony making money, you own Sony cameras, so your eyes lit up and you posted it in our Pentax forum?

If you were less hasty, less motivated to justify your purchases, you would've bothered to read the financial statement and see the success was not due to cameras, their cameras had less sales than last year.

A backfire, Winder?
02-04-2021, 05:29 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
OK guys, I think the points been made.

02-04-2021, 05:55 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
OK guys, I think the points been made.
Agreed, Gatorguy, I'm out!
02-05-2021, 05:30 AM   #21
Pentaxian

A few factual figures concerning the last quarter (October-December 2020) compared to the same quarter a year ago:
  • Market (as measured by the shipment value reported by CIPA): minus 5.3%, of which minus 2% for cameras and minus 10.8% for lenses
  • Sony's revenue from "Electronics Products & Solutions - Still and Video Cameras" (which includes interchangeable lenses and camcorders but neither cinema cameras nor broadcast cameras): minus 0.4%
  • Canon's revenue from "Imaging System \ Cameras" (which includes interchangeable lenses and camcorders): minus 6.1%
  • Nikon's revenue from "Imaging Products": minus 25.2%

Fujifilm and Olympus haven't published their financial reporting yet.
02-06-2021, 12:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
A few factual figures concerning the last quarter (October-December 2020) compared to the same quarter a year ago:
  • Market (as measured by the shipment value reported by CIPA): minus 5.3%, of which minus 2% for cameras and minus 10.8% for lenses
  • Sony's revenue from "Electronics Products & Solutions - Still and Video Cameras" (which includes interchangeable lenses and camcorders but neither cinema cameras nor broadcast cameras): minus 0.4%
  • Canon's revenue from "Imaging System \ Cameras" (which includes interchangeable lenses and camcorders): minus 6.1%
  • Nikon's revenue from "Imaging Products": minus 25.2%

Fujifilm and Olympus haven't published their financial reporting yet.
How's Panasonic doing? Other than AF, I think they make some of the better mirrorless cameras on the market, but just not going anywhere.

02-06-2021, 02:16 PM   #23
Pentaxian

How's Panasonic doing?
A while ago I read an interview and they claimed to have captured 10% of the M/L FF market, recent figures I saw indicate its not near that figure.Most reviewers say the AF needs to go to phase detect to impact the market.Rumours are the GH6 will come soon and join the 8K circus.

Their 2020 body got DPRs worst camera of the year award(it was M43 though.)
02-06-2021, 02:54 PM   #24
Pentaxian

How's Panasonic doing? Other than AF, I think they make some of the better mirrorless cameras on the market, but just not going anywhere.
As a group, they're doing fine but they don't publish any data concerning their camera business (neither their still camera business nor their video camera business, even though they are one of the three world leaders on the video camera market).
02-06-2021, 05:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
A while ago I read an interview and they claimed to have captured 10% of the M/L FF market, recent figures I saw indicate its not near that figure.Most reviewers say the AF needs to go to phase detect to impact the market.Rumours are the GH6 will come soon and join the 8K circus.

Their 2020 body got DPRs worst camera of the year award(it was M43 though.)
Panasonic make 8K displays. They need people creating 8K content or there is no reason to have 8K displays.

I really like using the S1R. with the latest firmware it's a great studio camera. Yeah they have to improve AF-C if they want to really compete..... Just like another company I know.
02-06-2021, 05:36 PM   #26
Pentaxian

They need people creating 8K content or there is no reason to have 8K displays.
There is one TV channel that broadcasts in 8K that I found a while ago when 8K was announced.

Last years Olympics was being broadcast in 8K,so this years will be too.

8K cineCams have been around prior to the 2 consumer cams that are known.

Coming,probably this year, are GH6/Fuji XT5 or XH2 and that Sharp thing that's still developing.All will feature 8K.

Video people should be pretty excited that they will have a choice.
02-07-2021, 03:31 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Who has the bandwidth to use 8K video streaming? Granted, my internet service is terrible, but my download speed is 2.25 Mbps and upload speed is 0.46 Mbps. It would be more useful to work on the infrastructure to get higher quality internet speeds to rural communities than to dump higher end video services on the market.
02-07-2021, 06:40 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Panasonic make 8K displays. They need people creating 8K content or there is no reason to have 8K displays.

I really like using the S1R. with the latest firmware it's a great studio camera. Yeah they have to improve AF-C if they want to really compete..... Just like another company I know.

Museum and store displays. AN slideshow of 8k images would be almost good enough for small theatre use, for only $100k
Samsung 98" 8K UHD HDR QLED Tizen Smart TV (QN98Q900RBFXZC) | Best Buy Canada
02-07-2021, 07:14 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Who has the bandwidth to use 8K video streaming? Granted, my internet service is terrible, but my download speed is 2.25 Mbps and upload speed is 0.46 Mbps. It would be more useful to work on the infrastructure to get higher quality internet speeds to rural communities than to dump higher end video services on the market.
I remember when YouTube first started and I thought "who in the world has a data pipe fast enough for streaming video?" I thought that there would have to be almost immediate, strict data caps for everyone otherwise the internet would crash to a halt. That was when most videos were 640x480 or something. But video streaming rollout continued apace. Networks got far more robust. Video was one of the primary things pushing providers to build out much faster data pipes.

We're still in a situation where many rural locations have no good answer for any broadband at all, but that's not going to stop people maxing out much higher-end services.
02-07-2021, 08:22 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Granted, my internet service is terrible, but my download speed is 2.25 Mbps and upload speed is 0.46 Mbps.
That sounds unbelievably poor, couldn't you get better than that of you mobile networks? LIke 20Mbps or so? I've heard that US broadband is very geographically dependent. Are mobile services to expensive to use as general purpose internet?

Last edited by gatorguy; 02-07-2021 at 08:40 AM. Reason: edited political comment.