Photos: Gallery
Cipa numbers.

CIPA - Camera & Imaging Products Association: Digital Cameras

The Covid year may be the bottom?

02-05-2021, 11:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I think so...COVID seems to the bottom of almost everything. Already many companies are recovering from the pandemic so I think it's likely that the camera industry will too. (By recovery here I really mean it will stabilize, but at a reduced size, but yet the financial health the companies will increase.)
02-06-2021, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Surprisingly, consumer electronics did better with Covid (you can check the semiconductor stock price index here: SOX | PHLX Semiconductor Index Overview | MarketWatch). Industrial and transport (automotive + aerospace electronics) electronic markets were strongly hurt during Covid, which makes sense. So if cameras went down during Covid, that's not necessarily related to Covid, that's something else. IMO, I expect to see cameras go down further this year and next year, at least in volume, given that the higher prices being charged are going to stop a number of photographers from upgrading.
02-06-2021, 03:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Surprisingly, consumer electronics did better with Covid (you can check the semiconductor stock price index here: SOX | PHLX Semiconductor Index Overview | MarketWatch). Industrial and transport (automotive + aerospace electronics) electronic markets were strongly hurt during Covid, which makes sense. So if cameras went down during Covid, that's not necessarily related to Covid, that's something else. IMO, I expect to see cameras go down further this year and next year, at least in volume, given that the higher prices being charged are going to stop a number of photographers from upgrading.
My impression is that a lot of younger people took their stimulus checks and bought electronics stuff with them. It just happens that those things were things like Ps5s and new smart phones, not ILCs.

I'm guessing this year will be some better, but I think it won't truly get back to the glory days again.

02-06-2021, 04:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My impression is that a lot of younger people took their stimulus checks and bought electronics stuff with them. It just happens that those things were things like Ps5s and new smart phones, not ILCs.
Absolutely. I myself made the mistake to bet on industrial/transport segments, because traditionally those were the most robust to economic changes while consumer electronics took the plunge. Until I realized I was completely wrong. Covid boosted telecommunication markets and online sales (I guess amazon got a boost), but everything else tangible suffered, airlines got so hardly impacted.
02-06-2021, 04:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking at the ILC unit numbers by geographic region, Europe and Americas down more than 35%, not very good, but significantly better than Japan and the rest of Asia (not including Japan and China) which were down almost 50%. China is the real outlier, that market declined less than 15% and for the months of April, May and June performed much, much better than the rest of the world.
02-06-2021, 05:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think it won't truly get back to the glory days again.
Looking at the 20 year graph,its a slow rise to the peak and a slow decline to now.Picking the bottom is the unknown factor.The glory is in the Tech that is available now and what it will increase to as time passes.

06-08-2021, 05:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

DSLRs are 45% of ILC sales in 2021 (Jan-Apr). ILCs and Lenses are up compared to 2020.

CIPA April numbers: finally some good news - Nikon Rumors