Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2021, 10:05 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I think it's like the sommelier and the wine. He could probably tell the difference between the $20 bottle of wine and the $1000, but even that wouldn't be a 100% success rate. For a typical person going to a restaurant there's no way. If you asked me to pick out a medium format shot from a APS-C that had both been printed and hung on a wall, unless it was a very specific type of photograph tailored to the various formats' strengths, I doubt my success rate would be much better than random. Same with film emulations vs. real film. I'm sure I couldn't tell in most cases. And as someone who's shot with a DSLR for a decade I'm in the 95th percentile. You're probably in the 99th and could tell, but the vast majority couldn't and only care if the photo is interesting or striking or beautiful.
Back in the early 70s I worked as a research assistant on some photointerpretation studies my department (psychology, preception researcher) was conducting for ___ well we assistants never found out who it was for. As all of the materials were tanks, jeeps, etc. taken from straight overhead, I have a pretty good idea, of course. (This was in the parachuted film canister recovery era for satellite photos.)

Anyway, we worked with unnamed "skilled photointerpreters" trying to divine what cues they were using to make decisions through multidimensional scaling (a relatively new technique at the time involving overnight computer runs on the machines of the day). There were a number of findings and some pioneering headway was made (though this area is unrecognizably different today what with the rise of machine learning and all. But thing I remember most was watching multiple people sort the same pictures that I could see no differences between at all into the very same similar/dissimilar piles. Skilled photointerpreters really can see things that others cannot. How much this applies in the present case I couldn't say. Depends on how skilled said magazine editors really are.

Last edited by jgnfld; 03-01-2021 at 10:14 AM.
03-01-2021, 11:21 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Did you see my mention that according to the interview Nippon camera gets more film than digital submissions. I dont think the average smartphone user is about to buy a 67 but young people with an interest in photography are very likely to shoot at least some of their work on film. This isn't mass photography but that's gone to smartphone anyway. Young photographers with dedicated cameras are interested in film. Just look at the newspapers and magazines with top cultural cachet, you'll find an awful lot of film photography compared to just a few years ago. Fashion magazines are full of film as well, the hipper the more film which means the others will follow.
Yes, I saw that. I find it extremely difficult to believe that many people getting paid for their photography are going to use a much more difficult and expensive process with almost no difference in the end result because of some nebulous, subjective concept that "film is better". Some, sure. You can find a few people going against the grain in any endeavor, even if it's unproductive. But it's going to continue to be a small niche in the overall market.