Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2021, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I can sympathize because I feel your pain. In South Africa the situation is worse. Pentax dealers are few and far in between. They carry little or no stock and everything is special order. The HQ of the distributor (who also handles Fujifilm as far as I can tell) is housed in a non-descript brick building in a light industrial area. I checked the address out on Google Maps. Prices are double way more than what you would pay if you do a personal import, even with shipping costs. Whether they will even work on such an import if it breaks, I do not know.

By contrast, Canon and Nikon have plenty of dealers. The entry level crop frame DSLR and mirrorless models are even stocked by department stores. Their HQ buildings are modern glass and chrome. I drive past both of them occasionally. Their prices are fairly closely matched to overseas ones, so a personal import is not worth it.

By way of example, a K1 II currently works out about USD2900 at a shop in Johannesburg. B&H lists it for USD1800. The markup is about 60%. For a Canon EOS RP, it is USD1280 versus USD1000 (about 30%). Do keep in mind that VAT is 15% needs to be worked out of the numbers but I am too lazy busy to do it right now. The Canon is in stock. As for the Pentax I have no idea how long it will take This situation means that Pentax sales are low, so there is no used market in Pentax bodies.

Being a Pentaxian in South Africa is not easy.

Last edited by Wasp; 02-25-2021 at 11:11 AM.
02-25-2021, 08:05 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
But who would do the work? In Australia I wouldn't trust anyone except CRK to have the expertise and access to parts, and they're not willing to honour any such 3rd party policy.
Honestly I don’t know the situation. I was thinking about purchases of used goods from eBay. They offer service contracts on used goods. I don’t know if that occurs for Australian sales. Used goods repairs don’t need manufacturer to cover the repair.
02-25-2021, 11:16 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Honestly I don’t know the situation. I was thinking about purchases of used goods from eBay. They offer service contracts on used goods. I don’t know if that occurs for Australian sales. Used goods repairs don’t need manufacturer to cover the repair.
The things is: the manufacturer or importer could refuse to repair grey market gear, even with payment on offer. They could also refuse to supply spares to independent repair shops to do repairs with.
02-25-2021, 11:31 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
The things is: the manufacturer or importer could refuse to repair grey market gear, even with payment on offer. They could also refuse to supply spares to independent repair shops to do repairs with.
With the typical USA used warranty they simply pay for replacement if they can’t repair it. I’m unclear if these exist there.

02-25-2021, 02:23 PM   #20
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
the K1 ii is currently listed at $3254 in Aus, but can be had from B&H for Aus$2637 including shipping and duties.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I now prefer to buy new lenses and cameras from Pentax Australia, waiting for an attractive deal to come up.
Vindicating Sandy's approach, the K-1ii is $A2700 at the moment at dcxpert (with ebay discount): https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PENTAX-K-1-MARK-II-DSLR-CAMERA-BODY-ONLY-BLACK-15995/233432713458

This is the last one though! I wouldn't bet on the next batch being at the same price.
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
The only thing I can't agree on at the moment is Globally competitive pricing
Yes, there does seem to be a disparity at present for many items (the special price of the K-1ii at dcxpert aside). I don't know why. You would think that the exchange rate has been favourable for long enough now that the lower wholesale costs would have flowed through. That's not only the $A against the $US but also against the yen. The tracking over 5 years has been pretty similar against both currencies:
https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=USD
https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=JPY

I got my KP from CRK for about $850 in the November 2018 sales, even though that was some time after the high point in the exchange rates in January 2018. In November 2018 the $A was around $US0.72. The $A has been above $US0.70 since about July 2020, but I haven't seen a price for a KP, even on sale, less than around $1k. The same is true for the DA 16-85 which I have had my eye on for some time - even on sale it's well above 2017-2018 prices. I guess the question is whether this is the new normal in a low-volume market or whether prices will settle again once production and supply chains gear up again to something like pre-pandemic levels.
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I recall the question about warranty support in Oz for overseas purchases has come up before but for the life of me I can't recall the details.
Pentax Warranty Question - PentaxForums.com
B&H offering free shipping to Australia if spending over $149 USD - PentaxForums.com
See particularly the observations of @stevebrot
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Above and beyond any warranty offered by a local distributor Australia also has comprehensive consumer protection laws.Consumer guarantees | ACCCThese won't apply to overseas transactions.
As the ACCC site makes clear, in theory, you might be entitled to Australian consumer law protections for an online purchase from an overseas supplier, but the problem is how to enforce those rights.

Personally I would be content to buy a low-value item or an item which had a low risk of problems (like the battery grip Noel mentioned, or a bag, or a TC), but would be wary about a new camera or lens.

I bought one of my K-30s as a grey import but I wouldn't do it again. The importer offered a warranty, but it would have been worthless in practice with no access to an accredited repairer. (Fortunately I didn't have a problem.)

CRK isn't a charity, but I feel like it's in all our interests that they continue to make a living as a Pentax distributor. I was very pleased that Peter was able to get a satisfactory deal in buying his DFA 150-450.

Last edited by Des; 02-25-2021 at 03:06 PM.
02-25-2021, 03:19 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote

I bought one of my K-30s as a grey import but I wouldn't do it again. The importer offered a warranty, but it would have been worthless in practice with no access to an accredited repairer. (Fortunately I didn't have a problem.)

CRK isn't a charity, but I feel like it's in all our interests that they continue to make a living as a Pentax distributor. I was very pleased that Peter was able to get a satisfactory deal in buying his DFA 150-450.

Yes, there does seem to be a disparity at present. I don't know why. You would think that the exchange rate has been favourable for long enough now that the lower wholesale costs would have flowed through. That's not only the $A against the $US but also against the yen. The tracking over 5 years has been pretty similar against both currencies:
XE - The World's Trusted Currency Authority: Money Transfers & Free Exchange Rate Tools
XE - The World's Trusted Currency Authority: Money Transfers & Free Exchange Rate Tools

I got my KP from CRK for about $850 in the November 2018 sales, even though that was some time after the high point in the exchange rates in January 2018. In November 2018 the $A was around $US0.72. The $A has been above $US0.70 since about July 2020, but I haven't seen a price for a KP, even on sale, less than around $1k. I guess the question is whether this is the new normal in a low-volume market or whether prices will settle again once production and supply chains gear up again to something like pre-pandemic levels.

Yes, I bought my k-3ii from the US, and I have always had a bit of anxiety about it, All my other Cameras bought here. I can say, I did notice a difference in the Firmware, as CRK website says can be had with OS cameras. it's not a biggy, but all my Aussie bought cameras I can set my home city of Brisbane in the menu, the one from the US I can only select Sydney. So Yes, there are slight Global changes to firmware on cameras bought in different regions.

I agree, CRK needs us to be buying locally, so we have a supplier here, and what they did with Pricing on the 150-450 for our friend here was again, great service by them, also ensuring he gets an Aussie warranty, I have bought all my other cameras and nearly all my lenses locally, and the only warranty fix I have ever needed was on that K-1 Mode dail issue, that seemed to affect a lot of the pre-release models.

I bought all my DFA lenses direct from CRK either by the Pentax Australia site with the 15% sale or DCXPERT with the 20% sales. great way to buy, because you just cant get Pentax stuff these days in shops. The last place I could was Digital Camera Warehouse in Brisbane for My K-1 and K-5 and the prices were in line, if not slightly cheaper than OS prices at the time I purchased, Back late 90's early 2000's I could walk into Teds in Brisbane and pick up anything. Bought my FA*85/1.4 and FA*200/2.8 over the counter instock in Brisbane 96 I think it was. .

I do hope as you say, we do return to a more normal supply and pricing in the year to come as the world is exhumed. I'm itching for the DFA*85/1.4 just cannot reconcile $3044 for it at the moment, still kicking myself I didn't hit the buy now button on the pre-release order, at $2640 with 15% sale would have only been $2200ish.
04-27-2021, 10:52 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I'm itching for the DFA*85/1.4 just cannot reconcile $3044 for it at the momen
Me too. Love the 50, but I think it's lonely. Big investment though.

05-16-2021, 03:28 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These days I think I'd always buy a camera or lens from CRK just in case I needed any warranty. But for other bits and pieces I would buy from overseas if I thought there was a low risk of needing warranty work. In general I think CRK prices are pretty reasonable, especially if you can get the discounts they occasionally offer (their prices are certainly a lot more competitive than they used to be some years ago)
05-17-2021, 12:00 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just did the opposite and bought a used Pentax 645 lens from Australia. I am a little surprised that a year Into covid, Auspost is still as slow as ever. Japan to US is so fast and Australia to US is so not fast.

Thanks,
barondla
05-17-2021, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
I just did the opposite and bought a used Pentax 645 lens from Australia. I am a little surprised that a year Into covid, Auspost is still as slow as ever. Japan to US is so fast and Australia to US is so not fast.
I recently ordered a K-1 RRS L-bracket from KEH (which, incidentally, seems to be discontinued). It got here in a week (Fedex). It's not uncommon for items to take that long (or longer) domestically in my experience.
06-20-2021, 05:29 AM   #26
Veteran Member

There is minimal delay in shipments, and it’s getting almost as normal.