Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2021, 12:34 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Medium format image quality into a smartphone

In the news today: OnePlus and Hasselblad Team-Up to Co-Develop Smartphone Cameras
Soon to come Hassy co-branded phone. Hasselblad image quality in the pocket.
Should Ricoh license the K mount or M42 to Apple?

03-08-2021, 12:42 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Medium format image quality into a smartphone
Ummmmm...no. Hasselblad something...

Steve
03-08-2021, 12:59 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Just because it says Phase One on the back of the cell phone, I wouldn't be selling those medium format digital backs just yet...
03-08-2021, 01:04 PM - 10 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
LOL!

The only way to get "medium format quality" is to have "medium format sensor size." Basic optical and photosensor physics strictly limits image quality and affects the "look" of the image.

The computational image manipulations used by smartphones are like pancake makeup on a corpse -- sure, things look pretty, smooth, and lifelike but the true image is rotten underneath.

03-08-2021, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote

The computational image manipulations used by smartphones are like pancake makeup on a corpse.
Let me write that down!
03-08-2021, 09:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Got some Leica in my Huawei phone.
03-09-2021, 12:45 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

My cynical first thought was:

03-09-2021, 05:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LOL!

The only way to get "medium format quality" is to have "medium format sensor size." Basic optical and photosensor physics strictly limits image quality and affects the "look" of the image.

The computational image manipulations used by smartphones are like pancake makeup on a corpse -- sure, things look pretty, smooth, and lifelike but the true image is rotten underneath.
If the end result is pleasing does anyone outside of photography forums care if the data to construct it was collected with one exposure from a big sensor, or many exposures from a smaller one? I'm having difficulty discerning the relative purity of: light hitting sensor > processor collecting data > processor turning data into 1s and 0s in some format > storing data on memory card, and light hitting sensor > processor collecting data > processor turning data into 1s and 0s in some format > processor optimizing and combining multiple exposures > storing data on memory card.

It's splitting of hairs to rave about pixel shift doing computational tricks on a K-1ii, and then talk of smartphones combining exposures as garish makeup on a corpse.
03-09-2021, 06:36 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I heard the Hasselblaad phone will come with a wood grip.

(ok or maybe not... lol)

The corpse analogy is a hyperbole, of course. Phones have become really good point and shoots, better than any 1/2.3" sensor point and shoot because they usually have a prime lens. My phone is a middle of the run phone (courtesy of my job) but still has a 1/2" sensor and a quad pixel array (48MP -> 12MP). It's not horrible, in fact it's better than any point and shoots I had in the past.

But I hardly use that camera, I prefer to use my Pentax bodies...
03-09-2021, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm going to use this the next time I see someone spouting off about how great their 108MP cellphone camera is and how it is so much better than my K-3ii with it's wimpy 24mp sensor.

Much like how when cellphones first offered an astro mode where the shots produced images where some of the structure of the night sky is just barely visible above the noise floor. Then everyone said that cellphones where going to kill astrophotography and my response was to state that until a cellphone can deliver a single shot like this they aren't going to be taking over astrophotography any time soon.
03-10-2021, 12:43 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
In the news today: OnePlus and Hasselblad Team-Up to Co-Develop Smartphone Cameras
Soon to come Hassy co-branded phone. Hasselblad image quality in the pocket.
Should Ricoh license the K mount or M42 to Apple?
I guess the "Leica" camera on my old Huawei P20Pro gives Leica M10R quality. It must, it says Leica right on the phone.
03-10-2021, 01:37 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I guess the "Leica" camera on my old Huawei P20Pro gives Leica M10R quality. It must, it says Leica right on the phone.
Without any doubt.
03-10-2021, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Now I'm going to stick the AMD Ryzen sticker that came with my CPU for my most recent computer on my phone to up the performance.