Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2021, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sony is good at making gadgets and Canon is good at making cameras and the end result is that photographers are preferring Canon's products.
I used to shoot weddings for a living with Canon cameras. I got to know a lot of wedding photographers. Almost all of us shot Canon with a few Nikon shooters. Last I checked three had switched to Fuji and one to Sony. And these guys were devout Canon and Nikon guys. I love my K1. It is by far the best FF camera I have ever shot with. It is "old tech" when you compare it to the Fuji and Sony's advanced technology. However, for a pure photographer, K1 is the camera. Short on tech but long on what matters which is image quality. Unfortunately, everyone has gone tech crazy and that is what is driving the market.

03-13-2021, 08:17 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think Canon is going to eat Sony's lunch. That doesn't mean Sony is going away, but I think that Sony is good at making gadgets and Canon is good at making cameras and the end result is that photographers are preferring Canon's products.

You might be right but don't forget that Sony is present in every electronic gadget store on the planet. They don't have to make great cameras to sell them.
03-13-2021, 09:33 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
You might be right but don't forget that Sony is present in every electronic gadget store on the planet. They don't have to make great cameras to sell them.
Sony Camera is different from Sony Sensor.
03-13-2021, 10:38 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I doubt that. Sony have very deep pockets, and a strong drive to dominate the market.
No-one doubts the depth of Sony's pockets. The question is whether they think it worthwhile staying in the shrinking camera market. They only joined it because it was expanding at the time. The fact that they are so big, and a household name, makes it all the easier for them to turn the camera factory over to some other product that would be more profitable, unlike Nikon or Pentax whose names would not cut much ice in the consumer market outside optical products.

03-13-2021, 12:34 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
The fact that they are so big, and a household name, makes it all the easier for them to turn the camera factory over to some other product
Yes,like the smartest company making cameras,Samsung!They diverted their focus from handheld cameras to tiny ones they put into smartPhones.thus jumping off a sinking ship and onto the expanding photo experience.

Dedicated camera market hasn't bottomed yet?Or has it?...Time will tell.

The positive thing is the technology evolves and capability expands.

---------- Post added 03-14-21 at 06:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
8th - Fujifilm X-A5 brown lens kit
9th - Fujifilm X-A5 silver lens kit
Only place 8 and 9 on the list, however,these cameras have been discontinued for a few years now.they are probably selling for $300ish and maybe with a kit lens.

The X-A7 is the next model and was discontinued a year or so ago.it was a 400 body only or 500 with kit lens(not the release prices though).X-A7 is a much better camera than XA5.

BCN figures are only an indicator of who they survey.

---------- Post added 03-14-21 at 07:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Japanese market share (unit sales) in 2020 according to BCN Ranking:
Is this data worth even considering?

From what Ive just read,Its not.

BCN survey "about 40%" of JAPanese market, according to one source.I thought it was closer to 50(but who actually knows?).

According to BCN,70% of sales are mirrorless(from their 40% data).Thats a huge difference from looking at worldwide CIPA shipments of around 50:50 between sLr and M/L.

Interestingly,BCN rate 5 major camera companies which are the ones that divulge their sales figures.Forget the rest.

Last edited by surfar; 03-13-2021 at 12:51 PM.
03-13-2021, 02:53 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
(...)

Is this data worth even considering?

From what Ive just read,Its not.

BCN survey "about 40%" of JAPanese market, according to one source.I thought it was closer to 50(but who actually knows?).

According to BCN,70% of sales are mirrorless(from their 40% data).Thats a huge difference from looking at worldwide CIPA shipments of around 50:50 between sLr and M/L.

Interestingly,BCN rate 5 major camera companies which are the ones that divulge their sales figures.Forget the rest.
According to CIPA 73.7% of the ILCs shipped to Japan in 2020 were mirrorless cameras. That's pretty close to your 70% supposedly coming from BCN.

Still according to CIPA 55.3% of the ILCs shipped worldwide in 2020 were mirrorless cameras.

http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-2020_e.pdf
03-15-2021, 06:43 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
According to CIPA 73.7% of the ILCs shipped to Japan in 2020 were mirrorless cameras. That's pretty close to your 70% supposedly coming from BCN.

Still according to CIPA 55.3% of the ILCs shipped worldwide in 2020 were mirrorless cameras.

http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-2020_e.pdf
Follow the money. The CIPA figures suggest that mirrorless pulls in about 71 per cent of the worldwide shipment value of mirrorless and DSLRs combined. It’s the cash that’s driving this, not absolute unit numbers. Everything becomes easier when you can secure a higher average unit sale price, as with mirrorless.
03-15-2021, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Better follow the profit. It is mostly new camera models that ships most. Compare these numbers to the release schedule. Long time trends may be very different....