Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2021, 07:28 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
The Kai Wong vid isn't going to sell any units. Quite disappointing as he bought a KP (allegedly)

---------- Post added 04-01-21 at 01:28 PM ----------

Noooooooo my beloved K3 isn't that old, is it? ..... Well, she is aging very nicely
That was disappointing. He basically just sat in his hotel room fiddling with camera and reading off specs while cracking jokes. This dude usually gets out to shoot and get a feel for a camera. Maybe more videos in the future?

04-01-2021, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Add to that, the lack of need for green button metering and the ability to record aperture information (if I'm understanding these new features correctly)
The release version of the K-3iii manual is available for download from the Pentax Japan Web site and after reading through the sections on use of aperture ring, I am a little more clear on how the camera works when using the aperture ring to control the iris opening. The gist is for M and X modes, things stay the same with green button used for stop-down metering. P, SV, and Tv both default to Av mode with "just-in-time" metering the moment the lens stops down for exposure. TAv mode using the same meter scheme to set the ISO.

Live view is still a little foggy in my mind. The manual says the aperture ring lens is always stopped down in live view with shutter speed or ISO calculated prior to pushing the shutter release.

Steve
04-02-2021, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

The belief that these videos would lead about vintage lenses within the first minute seems like an unreasonable expectation.

Part of this marketing is to showcase that the camera is on the cutting edge of dslr. That is opposite of focusing backward compatibility.

Most pentax users already know the existing process and can use deductive reasoning to understand the additions shooting modes (av tav) a the brighter / magnifying viewfinder.
04-02-2021, 06:14 AM   #19
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
The belief that these videos would lead about vintage lenses within the first minute seems like an unreasonable expectation.Part of this marketing is to showcase that the camera is on the cutting edge of dslr. That is opposite of focusing backward compatibility.
I understand your point of view, even if I disagree with it. I have a K-5. Lots of cameras have come out since that are better. Certain features in the newer models have been tempting, like focus peaking, better AF, and for the K-1, being able to use FF lenses as FF lenses. But despite the increases in megapixels, some AF advances etc, nothing has strongly compelled me to consider buying another body. I can't even say I need one, since photography is just a hobby for me. But when you combine all the latest cutting edge features of the K3-III, in addition to what it adds to using legacy glass, I can see a quantum step forward in why I might want to upgrade. And it also gives me a compelling reason why I might favour it over a K1. There's no shortage of videos out now touting the K3-III - and kudos to Pentax for getting it into the hands of so many photographers - and many of these only focus on the cutting edge. So hearing a different perspective is also of value.

04-02-2021, 06:15 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
Part of this marketing is to showcase that the camera is on the cutting edge of dslr.
Part of the marketing to this point has been to showcase additional features related to backward lens compatibility. At least that is how I understood the articles and videos from Ricoh. Such was completely unexpected and definitely piqued the interest of vintage lens users on this site. While the expectation of having that feature called out in initial video reviews is probably a little unreasonable, several of the videos did lead with views of vintage lenses on the camera.

Steve
04-02-2021, 06:24 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is the focussing screen new? Read something like that but havent checked if its true. Version III

If it is improved it will be interesting to see the difference.
04-02-2021, 06:46 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Part of the marketing to this point has been to showcase additional features related to backward lens compatibility. At least that is how I understood the articles and videos from Ricoh. Such was completely unexpected and definitely piqued the interest of vintage lens users on this site. While the expectation of having that feature called out in initial video reviews is probably a little unreasonable, several of the videos did lead with views of vintage lenses on the camera.

Steve
sure it is something that can and is being discussed. But turning off videos "after a minute" because that wasn't the lead aspect seems unrealistic

04-02-2021, 07:45 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Is the focussing screen new? Read something like that but havent checked if its true. Version III

If it is improved it will be interesting to see the difference.
Nope...the Natural-Bright-Matte III has been with us for almost twelve years, since the K-7.

Steve
04-02-2021, 09:13 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
Bishop and Muizebelt ... I'll look them up. Thanks.[COLOR="Silver"]
Matt Bishop takes some good photos.
I follow him on instagram.
04-02-2021, 11:42 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
That was disappointing. He basically just sat in his hotel room fiddling with camera and reading off specs while cracking jokes. This dude usually gets out to shoot and get a feel for a camera. Maybe more videos in the future?
Where ever he is located must have a covid lockdown. He did a similar review of a expensive sony. Spent a lot of time firing the shutter commenting how fast and cracking jokes about the cost
04-04-2021, 07:08 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
Are you talking about that jerk who started his video from bashing people who got K-3 for reviews? He is a forum member? Wow.
Yep, the same guy. He used to have some useful information regarding the set-up on the k-3 several years ago. But apparently he never got ambassador status which sounds like he is bitter about based on his comment about Ricoh/Pentax gave a K-3 mkIIIs to two drunks and a makeup artist to evaluate. Bitter negativity probably gets him very little respect from Pentaxians.
04-04-2021, 07:13 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Wait a minute? They lent Kai a camera?

He is a cruel person. They should have lent one to me instead.

Steve
Yeah but you probably don't have a "Manbun" or speak with a "colonial British" accent!! Not that those traits are bad.