Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2021, 11:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonder how much Fujifilm invested in medium format?

The only greater recent photography investments are probably the Canon and Nikon mirrorless systems. Fujifilm has really given medium format a boost.
Thanks,
barondla

04-18-2021, 01:27 AM   #2

I don't know, but if somebody finds out I'd like to know.
04-18-2021, 04:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Much more than Pentax on its 645Z successor, but I am guessing based on no new developments on that front in some time. The camera will be seven years old this coming June.
04-18-2021, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #4

I think pentax pulled the latest 645 project because of fujifilm. At least that's the rumor. I don't particularly see the attraction to the Fuji MF system, but then again I'm not the target audience. I can't even convince myself yet to upgrade to full frame!!!

But I don't know if the investment in the bodies is all that great. And the lenses don't seem extraordinarily different in any way. Fuji knows how to make this stuff already so I don't really see them needing to poor eons of engineering into their MF line.

04-18-2021, 05:58 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A year ago in early March, just before the pandemic shut down such things, I attended a professional conference in Houston where Fuji had a booth. I had a chance to use a Fuji camera while attending the conference. Fuji loaned out various cameras and lens for 24 hours, and I chose the GFX50R with the GF 50mm. I really enjoyed using the camera! As much as I enjoyed using the Pentax 645D for a year, my next medium format camera will likely be a Fuji . . . mainly because Pentax made the 645Z a dead-end product. They haven't even updated their lens roadmap that dates from February 2017.
04-18-2021, 06:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian

My guess is that Pentax sell a very small number of 645 lenses and can't quite justify the investment. Vicious circle.
04-18-2021, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Fujifilm invested in MF system to not compete directly with Canon, Nikon. Sony. Same reason why Pentax kept MF for the time being. I do not think that Pentax will continue with 645. DSLR niche with k-mount cameras should work. K-mount development is already slow, without serious efforts, 645 is dead.
MF now sees Fujifilm, China Hasselblad, Phase One systems, I would not bet on any of these system to survive many more years.
04-18-2021, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The only greater recent photography investments are probably the Canon and Nikon mirrorless systems. Fujifilm has really given medium format a boost.
Ricoh already having the 645z, decided to develop the Pentax K1 DSLR line (with the K mount lenses). Fuji do not have any full frame in their lineup, nor full frame mount lenses, they have two formats the X mount apsc system and the GF mount system. A lot of GFX users come from the X mount user base who would have upgraded to full frame if Fuji offered a full frame system. So to answer the question: "how much did Fuji invest in medium format?" the answer would be: no more than other brands invested in full frame (it's not more expensive to design a MF system vs FF system, it's about the same R&D).

---------- Post added 18-04-21 at 18:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
MF now sees Fujifilm, China Hasselblad, Phase One systems, I would not bet on any of these system to survive many more years.
Fuji tap into some of the full frame market with their GFX, a lot of GFX buyers don't need it and clearly belong to the "consumer" segment, more like Sony A7 series market sgement. There is a big gap between Fuji's market and the market targeted by Phase One. A lot of Fuji GF owners are owner because they have the budget for it, not really because they have the maturity, experience and photographic needs to use a medium format system.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-18-2021 at 09:06 AM.
04-18-2021, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There is absolutely no way Fuji MF is profitable. That's just my opinion, but the volume can not be there.

It always seemed like a vanity or halo project for Fuji, a way of not feeling inferior and irrelevant next to the FF big boys.
May be it is a longer term play and they see a bigger market in the future.
04-18-2021, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Thanks,
barondla
I do not think the question how much Fuji invested in MF is important. It is more important to know why they developed an MF camera in this day and age. Maybe the same goes for the choice Ricoh made about the way to go with the DSLR. Being niche players maybe? Perhaps they will not run the mirrorless marathon? I think these are questions we must not burden ourselves with. If you want a camera with a very good viewfinder go for a Pentax model. Want a superb (I just assume it is) MF, go for Fuji (Pentax ones are not available at the moment). Do not ask the question how much do they invest or even the question as I put it about why develop an MF camera, it is not relevant, relevant is that they offer you to have a choice that is different from general camera crowd hurling themselves upon the APS-C or FF mirrorless market.
04-18-2021, 01:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fujifilm had a bunch of Instax money. That may have dried up recently, but I am guessing they saw the Medium Format market as being one that was relatively undeveloped and ripe to have some investment in. It is definitely a lot less cut throat than the full frame MILC market and you don't need nearly the number of lenses available. Beyond which, medium format shooters seem comfortable dropping a couple thousand on a new lens.
04-18-2021, 05:54 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I you do find out how much Fuji invested, the more interesting question I would have is how you found out.
04-18-2021, 09:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some are saying that the K-3iii is the last hurrah for crop sensor SLR cameras. It would be nice if the 645z100 would be the medium format equivalent.
04-19-2021, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Ricoh already having the 645z, decided to develop the Pentax K1 DSLR line (with the K mount lenses). Fuji do not have any full frame in their lineup, nor full frame mount lenses, they have two formats the X mount apsc system and the GF mount system. A lot of GFX users come from the X mount user base who would have upgraded to full frame if Fuji offered a full frame system. So to answer the question: "how much did Fuji invest in medium format?" the answer would be: no more than other brands invested in full frame (it's not more expensive to design a MF system vs FF system, it's about the same R&D).
The Fuji MF lens mount is a cropped mount, like the X mount.
If one day there is a FF 645 MF sensor, they will have to bring out a new mount and a whole bunch of new lenses...
Ricoh is ready...