Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Days Ago - 8 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Australian photog and tuber Matt Irwin showing some Pentax love

Heavily invested in the Nikon system, including their Z mirrorless series, Matt is going out of his way to commend Pentax's Five Principles and give a shout-out to Pentaxians. It struck me as quite a rare move, and I just wanted to share:

5 Days Ago   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is a very cool vid. Thanks for sharing
5 Days Ago   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very interesting! Thanks for the link
5 Days Ago   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very interesting. Photography is photography no matter the system used.

5 Days Ago   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just caught it as well. I'd encourage everyone here to take a look.
5 Days Ago   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks so much. Makes we want a K III even more than I did before: lol:
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
He is making some very good points, many of which are core to the practice of my craft and the things about it I enjoy. They also explain the continued allure of strips of "flimsy celluloid"* as a valid capture medium for many quite serious artisans. Strangely, I enjoy seeing the image form on the paper when making a "wet" darkroom print. While I appreciate the sophistication my K-3 brings to my kit, to be honest, most of my work with it is done "old school" with a high degree of user involvement and satisfaction. As a side-effect, working at a low level helps me understand why and how automation sometimes fails. Ditto to having a deep background in film photography in multiple formats.

Perhaps, it is just nostalgia, but I see little joy in AI-generated synthetic photos and tech without understanding.

Steve

(...would not own a yacht unless I were able to ably captain the thing...)

* Disparaging description of film as a precision capture medium by a PF member on a recent thread regarding need for accurate focus in context of field curvature.
5 Days Ago   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So well said by Matt Irwin. Thanks for sharing

5 Days Ago   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Heavily invested in the Nikon system, including their Z mirrorless series, Matt is going out of his way to commend Pentax's Five Principles and give a shout-out to Pentaxians. It struck me as quite a rare move, and I just wanted to share:

5 Principles We Should All Apply To Photography Life | Thanks Pentax | OP ED | Matt Irwin - YouTube
Excellent video. He understands there's more than a spec sheet.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla
5 Days Ago   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With the KP and K3 I have always enjoyed the process as much as the outcome. I am someone who feels that zooms make me lazy so god knows how I would feel with all the cleverness in a modern camera.
5 Days Ago   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice - thanks!
4 Days Ago   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is not dissimilar. Photo Universe isn't a die hard pentaxian but he really appreciates the direction. I like him. He is honest. He has also just bought a K3iii

4 Days Ago   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote

5 Principles We Should All Apply To Photography Life | Thanks Pentax | OP ED | Matt Irwin - YouTube
Thanks for sharing!
4 Days Ago   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
This is not dissimilar. Photo Universe isn't a die hard pentaxian but he really appreciates the direction. I like him. He is honest. He has also just bought a K3iii

https://youtu.be/wcD3-a0jFN4
Another excellent video. He really appreciates the thought Pentax puts into camera operation. Pentax seems to be shaking the camera world up with the K-3III.

Thought it was cool at the end of the video he added a cooking website recommendation and talked about his other love - knives. He isn't just cranking out cookie cutter videos. Good for him.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla
4 Days Ago   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have watched a few of Matt's videos previously, he seems well rounded with his head screwed on properly and this one is no exception. TFS.