Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2021, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Meeting Galen Rowell....

I met Galen Rowell once at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC. They were having an exhibit of his work.

As a young news photographer, I asked him some questions, but they were technical (what camera, what film, etc). He was obviously disappointed in me for not asking about the PICTURES.

I think back on that and make sure, to this day, always to ask a photographer WHY they took a picture.

I swore that, if I ever got the chance, he would be told how he influenced me.....unfortunately, Galen Rowell was killed in a plane crash before I could do that...but his lesson lives on.

Galen Rowell - Wikipedia

Lets all keep this in mind as we work our way, with Pentax, towards a better K3III

05-16-2021, 02:52 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So true...

The request I always make of those I meed whose work has influenced me is "may I assist for you at some point?"...so far always results in bemused expression and a vague response.

Steve
05-16-2021, 03:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

interesting photographer, I really get an Ansel Adams like vibe prom his pictures.
05-16-2021, 04:43 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by rlmartindale Quote
I met Galen Rowell once at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC. They were having an exhibit of his work.

As a young news photographer, I asked him some questions, but they were technical (what camera, what film, etc). He was obviously disappointed in me for not asking about the PICTURES.

I think back on that and make sure, to this day, always to ask a photographer WHY they took a picture.

I swore that, if I ever got the chance, he would be told how he influenced me.....unfortunately, Galen Rowell was killed in a plane crash before I could do that...but his lesson lives on.

Galen Rowell - Wikipedia

Lets all keep this in mind as we work our way, with Pentax, towards a better K3III
Never heard of Galen before, sorry for your loss.

05-16-2021, 05:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As happens often, the best questions are the ones we never ask.
05-16-2021, 07:17 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have one of his designed bags. He was a friend of my dad’s best friend. As I recall I may have met him once but I don’t recall for sure.
05-16-2021, 08:02 PM   #7

By all accounts he was a great outdoor photographer. Galen, his wife Barbara, and two other people died in a plane crashon August 11, 2002. I never met the man, but love his photographs. If I had met him, I probably would have been tongue tied...

I have three of his books:

The first two are great coffee table books showing Galen's work

Galen Rowell - A Retrospective
Galen Rowell - The Art of Adventure

The third book is filled with short articles (and some photographs) Galen published in his column in Outdoor Photography magazine, and it has a lot of useful information for outdoor photographers

Galen Rowell's Inner Game of Outdoor Photography

05-16-2021, 08:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I attended a workshop at UC Berkeley given by Galen Rowell and Frans Lanting. It was just at the time when film was still the primary medium, but digital was becoming more popular. I remember someone asked if they they thought digital would ever replace film. One or both of them replied pretty confidently that they didn't see that happening.

At the time I was more familiar with Galen's work, just becoming familiar with Frans'. Two great artists. Galen's work in the Sierras is groundbreaking. Frans Lanting is my favorite wildlife photographer. He has a great philosophy about approach to photography, nature in particular.
05-16-2021, 11:48 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlmartindale Quote

Galen Rowell - Wikipedia

Attended his seminar in St. Louis, Mo. Knew him from reading his columns in Outdoor Photographer Magazine. He revolutionized landscape photography. Everyone should see his work Mountain Light: In Search of the Dynamic Landscape. Awe inspiring.

He gave a great presentation and answered lots of questions. A very nice person.

Thanks for being back the memories,

barondla
05-17-2021, 02:06 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mountain light is the best book on landscape photography ever written.....
05-17-2021, 04:05 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
Yes, great question to ask, why? Must remember that. And, what were the challenges? What did you do to overcome them?
05-17-2021, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I came really close to taking a workshop from Galen Rowell back in 1988 up in Maine. Even though I was totally blown away by "Mountain Light", I opted to take a different workshop instead. A number of years later, I got to meet Galen when he spoke at the opening of an exhibition of his work here. Seemed like a super nice guy.