Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2021, 02:42 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Restoration of famous painting with help of algorithms.

AI Photography Restores Missing Parts of Rembrandt's 'The Night Watch' | PetaPixel

Fascinating story. Can't believe they chopped off part of Rembrandt's painting to display it.

Thanks,
barondla

06-24-2021, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
AI Photography Restores Missing Parts of Rembrandt's 'The Night Watch' | PetaPixel

Fascinating story. Can't believe they chopped off part of Rembrandt's painting to display it.

Thanks,
barondla
Do it all the time - oops forgot - I'm not that famous and cropping a photo is a lot easier than cutting a master's canvas. I wonder how much the scraps bring?
06-24-2021, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

As it happens, for those of us in the UK, there is a TV Channel 5 programme on the painting tomorrow (Friday 25th, 9pm) as one of Andrew Marr's series "Great Paintings of the World"
Great Paintings of the World with Andrew Marr - Channel 5

---------- Post added 24-06-21 at 16:03 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Can't believe they chopped off part of Rembrandt's painting to display it.
It's perfectly OK, because
QuoteQuote:
Not as an act of vandalism, the trim was performed so that the painting could fit between two doors
It was not uncommon in the past for paintings which are priceless today to have been cut down to fit in an available frame. Seems frames and doors were more valuable than the paintings.
06-24-2021, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I work with a few people who do the work to enable AI and Machine Learning for various purposes. It's fascinating.

06-24-2021, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Calling this a restoration is stretching things a bit. A restoration would have been finding the trimmed pieces and putting it all back together. What they really did is create a new image of what a computer program determined was Rembrandt's original painting. Who's to know if it's accurate or not.
06-24-2021, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I saw it as a kid. It was displayed down a long dark corridor, and then the closer you got to it, this world faded away and the guys in the painting became real in their world. I was 12 and didn't know crap about anything, but I do remember that sensation. Also everyone around me was quiet, like in church, and in awe.

Now there's kids on their cell phones, sitting on the chairs 10 feet from it. Civilization as we knew it is so over. Just get Banksy to spray it, who cares?

Commoners breaking wind in the halls of the mighty.
06-25-2021, 02:48 AM   #7
Pentaxian

It's an intriguing story.. really fascinating. I love Rembrandt, his use of light is absolutely perfect.

06-25-2021, 11:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I saw it as a kid. It was displayed down a long dark corridor, and then the closer you got to it, this world faded away and the guys in the painting became real in their world. I was 12 and didn't know crap about anything, but I do remember that sensation. Also everyone around me was quiet, like in church, and in awe.

Now there's kids on their cell phones, sitting on the chairs 10 feet from it. Civilization as we knew it is so over. Just get Banksy to spray it, who cares?

Commoners breaking wind in the halls of the mighty.
Bah humbug, eh? Display it in a boxroom just big enough to fit and get the kids to view it one at a time with their cellphone’s torch then.

I’ve seen photographs by a master displayed in a dim gallery because we simply mustn’t risk getting sunlight on them, so the impression of light’s impact on the subject is lost. The attribution of preposterous worth on artworks of the past spoils the appreciation for all. Which is ironic, because many masterpieces weren’t made for the masses to gawk at, but for the rich patron’s benefit.

I’d be happy to get the chance of viewing Rembrandt’s work for myself, whether in the company of phone zombies or not.