Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2021, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Why don't Japanese vote with their Yen for their favorite camera brand (Pentax) - ?
Pentax is the brand. Cameras are the black (or silver) metal boxes with buttons and dials. A friend of mine has Canon DSLRs, but he has glued a Leica label on the front.

07-14-2021, 11:08 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

I imagine Ricoh is probably quite happy with people loving the history and reputation of the Pentax brand even though they don't buy the cameras in "pile it high, sell it cheap" quantities. That's exactly the position you want to be in with a prestige brand aimed at a more discerning market. You don't want Pentax to be the brand that people pick up cheap in their local discount warehouse; you want it to be the brand that they aspire to when they begin to take their photography seriously.
07-14-2021, 01:02 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
A friend of mine has Canon DSLRs, but he has glued a Leica label on the front.
That is funny. Is he kidding anyone, or does he now believe he has a Liker
07-14-2021, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rational people constantly do irrational things, and irrational people constantly do rational things. Don't try to make sense out of it. Who knows if this poll was anywhere close to being accurate.

07-15-2021, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax is the brand. Cameras are the black (or silver) metal boxes with buttons and dials. A friend of mine has Canon DSLRs, but he has glued a Leica label on the front.
I have a Fuji X-E1 with an AOCo triangle

---------- Post added 15-07-21 at 12:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I imagine Ricoh is probably quite happy with people loving the history and reputation of the Pentax brand even though they don't buy the cameras in "pile it high, sell it cheap" quantities. That's exactly the position you want to be in with a prestige brand aimed at a more discerning market. You don't want Pentax to be the brand that people pick up cheap in their local discount warehouse; you want it to be the brand that they aspire to when they begin to take their photography seriously.
Exactly why I don't like canikony. Someone said they (particularly canon) may be very good but they feel like toys. I love the reaction when a D3200 shooter picks up my similar vintage K3 for the first time
07-15-2021, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like there's any similarity.... I don't need that. My Pentax is good looking already.
07-15-2021, 02:49 PM   #22
Closed Account

Original Poster
This may have already been answered, but please answer it again if so:

When the first shutter curtain comes down, then the 2nd shutter curtain comes down. What happens after this:

Do both of them flip "back up" (after the mirror returns) - ? They would have to do this really quickly, especially if shooting in burst/continuous shooting mode (say 9 frames per second or so) - ?

07-15-2021, 03:02 PM   #23
Pentaxian

This may have already been answered, but please answer it again if so:

When the first shutter curtain comes down, then the 2nd shutter curtain comes down. What happens after this:

Do both of them flip "back up" (after the mirror returns) - ? They would have to do this really quickly, especially if shooting in burst/continuous shooting mode (say 9 frames per second or so) - ?
I think you posted to the wrong one of your threads. And yeah, I'd like to see the slow motion with burst mode.
07-17-2021, 07:42 AM   #24
JPT
Pentaxian

Yesterday Digicams-info posted a report that covered one Nikon and one Ricoh Imaging product registration. It was not that interesting in itself, but I was struck that all the comments under it weee about Ricoh/Pentax and none about Nikon. I think there is a lot of interest in Ricoh because they make less conventional products.

Going back to the original premise of this thread, the figure if 3% is from BCN and that it not a good measure of enthusiast camera sales. They cover mainly stores that don't sell Pentax anyway. Therefore people who buy Pentax don't shop there. Plus the figures don't include GR, WG or Theta, because they are ILC only.
07-19-2021, 02:15 PM   #25

My favorite cars are Ferraris, Aston Martins, Corvettes.
I do not buy those cars. The cars I can BUY are used Volvos, Toyotas, Subarus, etc.

A survey can be designed and administered to lean any way the survey taker wants it to.

LIKING something does not necessarily translate to BUYING it.
07-21-2021, 06:57 AM   #26

Why doesn't the Japanese love for the Pentax brand not convert into Japanese citizens spending their Yen on Pentax equipment? In articles, Pentax market share in Japan hovers around 3%

As a Westerner (U.S. Citizen), it's hard for me, and I think others, to understand how surveys of Japanese show that they love the Pentax brand (perhaps the most), yet Pentax has low market share in the Japanese market place...

There has to be a cultural explanation for this, that I don't understand. I know In Japan, the yen is not the only thing that's relevant. "Keiretsu," conglomerates, tradition, status, etc... are very relevant.

A Penny for your Thoughts please....

And an article to feed your thought(s): Japan's Favorite Camera Brand Isn't Canon, Nikon, or Sony, Survey Reveals | PetaPixel
They may love the brand but still feel it is no longer in line with current needs. No move towards mirrorless may be limiting sales.
07-23-2021, 12:41 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Monobod Quote
No move towards mirrorless may be limiting sales.
If making sales only is the goal, I wouldn't like to be the shareholder

Mirrorless is primarily a business thing, changing lens mounts to sell more new lenses, is the solution the camera industry adopted to counter the effect of stagnation of the DSLR camera coming into its maturity stage of life cycle. Customers worry too much about business that they can't act upon and worry too less about their own role at making pictures. For me, worrying about camera gear and camera brand has been responsible for limiting the quality of my photographic results. I've found that forgetting about camera brand and gear, while looking out forward to the outside was keep to making better pictures. It's all about separation of concerns.
07-23-2021, 01:53 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Any survey result depends on the wording of the question, which I can't find and if I did, would it be a good translation of the Japanese anyway? Perhaps they interpreted it in a historical way, thinking of their K1000s, like I would say my favourite car was my first one (no longer made of course, and I would not buy it again if it was). And what was the demographic of the population sample? General or enthusiast? The general population don't buy cameras any more anyway so it makes no difference what brand they prefer.
QuoteOriginally posted by cameranorm Quote
Ferraris, Aston Martins, Corvettes.I do not buy those cars. The cars I can BUY are used Volvos, Toyotas, Subarus, etc.
I know this is a Pentax forum, but Pentax to Canonikon is not like Aston Martin to Toyota, especially not price-wise. The nearest Nikon equivalent to a K-1ii would be the D850, so it is more like Toyota to Honda (or vice-versa, same to me), and the Aston Martin would be Leica.

I don't think lens range is a factor in the choice of first camera - it was not for me. Nor is it concern for the company future, or Olympus would not have a quarter of the mirrorless market (that surprised me) - they will not even still be called Olympus in the not too distant future.
07-23-2021, 04:38 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Customer satisfaction is not necessarily a good thing, despite what business management may say about delighting customers. Give your customers too much (or give them ways to save money such as long term lens mount compatibility), they'll love you and but not buy new lenses from you. Or given customer a camera that does it all (packed with features, without any marketing cripple), customers will love you but buy only one camera for all their uses. Canon and Nikon understood that very well, they'd always cripple some camera models to avoid cannibalization and so that customers who want all features need to buy two cameras instead of one camera.
07-23-2021, 07:12 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Customer satisfaction is not necessarily a good thing, despite what business management may say about delighting customers. Give your customers too much (or give them ways to save money such as long term lens mount compatibility), they'll love you and but not buy new lenses from you. Or given customer a camera that does it all (packed with features, without any marketing cripple), customers will love you but buy only one camera for all their uses. Canon and Nikon understood that very well, they'd always cripple some camera models to avoid cannibalization and so that customers who want all features need to buy two cameras instead of one camera.
Avoiding cannibalization too much may also be a big risk as it mean you may end up with too niche products and you give up the market to you competitors.
Like when Pentax chose to make their mirrorless system the small sensor Q, to protect the K-mount.

That gave room for Fuji on the mirrorless segment.