Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-09-2021, 10:53 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Good points.

Plus a gold star on the spelling of Yaz!

P.S. Those two players are all time top ten players, bad choices. ��

Koufax had a very high peak, but in a very friendly environment for pitchers. And he only sustained it for about five years. So depending on how you ask the question, Koufax might not rank quite so highly.

Yaz played forever and a handful of great years, but I'd probably put him in the 20-30 range.

Now back to photography...

08-09-2021, 11:24 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Members of this group probably drive most of those google searches!
08-09-2021, 11:28 AM   #18
Pentaxian

True, I see more K1000s in the wild (usually by 20somethings, I assume students) than digital Pentax models.
08-10-2021, 02:49 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Since I wrote in my earlier post that too much emphasis on Pentax's legacy was a burden on its modern image, Kai W has posted a YouTube video on his immensely popular channel that demonstrates my point.

At 6:50 he shows a Spotmatic and makes the cutting remark :
QuoteQuote:
This came at a time when Pentax were actually quite good
This is despite his praising Pentax DSLRs in the past. I guess he has since had issues with Ricoh, like Cameraville.

I gave up watching Kai a while ago because, while he does know a thing or two, his presentation style is silly. But the thumbnail for this one caught my eye as he was holding a 6x7. This is actually one of his more sensible videos. You might diss what Kai says, but the point is that with his large following his comment only adds to the popular notion that Pentax is a brand of the past. The video has 39,000 views already - he is an entertainer.

08-10-2021, 03:43 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is interesting that Ricoh is pushing the nostalgia angle. It makes a little sad when I realize that the Pentax of my youth is gone. Where is the modern equivalents of the K1000 or ME Superor the vast SMC Pentax M range of lenses? In those days Pentax offered better value for money than Canon or Nikon, especially as far as glass went. That is one of the reasons that I got into the brand. A Canon F1 owning friend was envious of the Pentax lens prices. These days Pentax is a niche brand. This all good and well, but the nostalgia angle is lost on old timers like me who was around when K1000 boxes were sitting on the shelves of every camera store.
08-10-2021, 04:38 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think Pentax is not pushing for nostalgia of old Pentaxes, but for the DSLR itself - be it Pentax, Minolta, Canon, whoever else. If you love SLR, go Pentax, if you want to get rest from all digital stuff and monitors - we are here. "Only" with Pentax you will get the feeling of "true" photography and optics (and for still reasonable price). That is something different then pushing for brand nostalgia.
08-12-2021, 02:38 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
It is interesting that Ricoh is pushing the nostalgia angle. It makes a little sad when I realize that the Pentax of my youth is gone. Where is the modern equivalents of the K1000 or ME Superor the vast SMC Pentax M range of lenses? In those days Pentax offered better value for money than Canon or Nikon, especially as far as glass went. That is one of the reasons that I got into the brand. A Canon F1 owning friend was envious of the Pentax lens prices. These days Pentax is a niche brand. This all good and well, but the nostalgia angle is lost on old timers like me who was around when K1000 boxes were sitting on the shelves of every camera store.
Well, P30 and MZ-M were excellent school learning cams too.