Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2021, 03:02 AM   #46
Pentaxian

I do so little travelling these days (sob) that I have no recent observations on camera use. Last week we went for a walk down by a river in Segovia for the first time in ages and I did see a guy with a Nikon super-zoom compact.

This year is forecast to be a leveling-off of the market which has declined for a few years now. I imagine next year will continue that trend.

I use Pentax, who have survived this far into the digital age with a very small market percentage, and Fujifilm, who are doing relatively well. Between those two I'm not massively concerned that they're going to disappear and leave me with gear for a dead mount.

Last edited by Jonathan Mac; 08-12-2021 at 03:08 AM.
08-12-2021, 03:32 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
In Europe, yes, as I can see. That's where I saw mirrorless cameras for sale. Other than that, outdoors I see a lot of DSLR.
In Dresden there are like... I think four "proper" camera shops, although two specialize in older gear. There's also a photo lab in town which sells film and rents MF/LF gear. You can get a Mamiya 67 or a Linhof 4x5, with some lenses, for 40/day... I'm actually thinking of doing a one-day photo session with either, for fun (I've also been very happy with their baryta paper prints, incidentally, they are gorgeous).
For modern stuff you of course also have the big chain electronics shops, but I try to not buy camera stuff there .
08-12-2021, 08:14 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was a member of a "generic" photo forum {not brand-specific} before I was a member here. I'm not sure how long I was a member there, but I {as a 20-year Canon owner} understood the Nikon system well enough to basically understand their system. I believe they went to electronic control of their apertures before they went to in-lens motors {order opposite of Pentax}. When I got my K-30 in May of 2015, I was surprised that Sigma still had screw-drives in their K-mount versions even though they had in-lens motors in their Canon versions {I had a EF-Mount 10-20mm from them and was thrilled to discover that there was also a K-mount version}, and that even a camera as 'low' as the K-30 could power them.

With this as a background, I would not be surprised to learn that some Nikon users own expensive twenty or thirty-year-old screw-drive lenses which have gone through several expensive camera bodies {many Nikon users are very proud of their long-term compatibility and nurture their old lenses}. If they learn that they will not only be purchasing an expensive MILC body, but have to replace that expensive glass, in order to go MILC, some may purchase nothing at first, then might switch brands since they have to replace everything anyway.

Last edited by reh321; 08-12-2021 at 08:45 AM.