Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2021, 11:37 AM   #1

Best Place to Sell Photos Online?

I have some (what I consider) fair shots under my belt at this point, and I would like advice as to where and how to put some online for sale. I'm not expecting miracles, I just want to start the process. Any assistance is appreciated, thanks.

08-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CoolBreezeRandy Quote
fair
my wife started uploading my pictures to PicFair:
Foster's General Productions - Picfair
Apparently you can upload 50 for free...
I don't think we've sold any yet haha
08-11-2021, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep in mind that selling online is 75% marketing and 25% photography. Actually that might be 90% / 10%

I've been selling online for 10 years and still trying to figure it out. In general uploading your work to a 'photos' website is not going to result in sales unless you take the time to heavily promote your work through email lists, Facebook ads, Instagram and so on.

Try:
Fine Art America
500px
Etsy
Amazon

Or if you want to go the stock photo route try:
Adobe Stock
Shutterstock
Alamy
08-11-2021, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

As someone who has never sold a single image others probably know better than me, but here goes. I have friends who do this and while they don't make much money they do sell local work. Basically visit the local tourist type places in your area and see what they have and inquire what the arrangements might be for selling some of your work there. I think selling online is a tough proposition. There is a ton of competition and it's hard to get noticed. Local work has subjects that matter to the locals though, and being local you can likely produce work that is not in direct competition with big established photographers. For example I live right near Banff National Park. I have never photographed there (though I will be doing so next week) and the prospect of selling my Banff photos in competition with well known and well established professional photographers who shoot there all the time is, well, scary and daunting. I doubt I will produce a photo of Moraine Lake that would be chosen above the millions that already exist for sale. But most of my work is from rural southern Alberta mostly in places that tourists don't go. I think it's beautiful and so do the locals who live there. I might start selling some of those prints.

08-11-2021, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I gave up on selling when 6-12 of my pictures were picked up on photos of the day site at low resolution. They got between 125,000 and 160,000 hits for well over a million hits, and I got not one sale. The local non-profit art gallery in a tourist heavy area will take my prints for a 20% commission. If I ever decide to sell again, I'll go there.

How did I get so many hits you ask? The title of the images was "Opalescent Sunset", because it was a sunset on Opalescent Lake in Algonquin Park.

Unbeknownst to me, there was a European band somewhere called "Opalescent Sunset." That got people to the thumbnails, but they still had to click on the image to see it larger for me to record a "hit."

Last edited by normhead; 08-11-2021 at 02:23 PM.
08-11-2021, 04:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I tried Fine Art America for a while because I had a friend who was selling quite a bit on there, but I think it was a lot of family buying them, I really didn't think it was worth the effort as it was somewhat clunky to upload. I have been on Adobe Stock for a couple of years and it actually sells pretty good, but you are not going to make much unless you have a huge catalog. I don't do the typical stock type thing you see, mine are mostly nature or landscapes, and what sells is sometimes surprising. An example would be a photo of dogwood flowers and leaves that has been downloaded 8 times, you just never know. But Adobe also gave me a free Photography Plan for a couple years, but that program is over, at least for me.
08-11-2021, 05:18 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I sold some of my photo because people saw it on my Instagram. Now IG also have an option where you can create an online store and put it on sale in both FB and IG platform. That is one possible way.

Before that, I try sale some of them as a stock photo on Adobe, but they charge me 2/3 of what it sold, and the price is very low. My style is not really fit to be used as a stock photo too.

Later, I don't try to sale my photo unless someone want to buy it and contact me on Instagram directly. BUT I keep showcase my photo on IG to built up followers and use it as a portfolio to host a Photo-walk in Tokyo which create a lot more income in less than a year. A lot more fun meeting people from many professional around the world too. That is another idea to make money via photography without having to sale a photo.
Anyway, COVID stop all of my photowalk activity. Now I switch to do something else which is even easier and earn more ... I feel like I am a cheesy Pyramid scheme salesman! Better stop now. If you wonder, it is online trading in Tokyo stock exchange using part of the money from my photowalk.

I am a kind of miss hosting photowalk. I miss the meeting people part of it. I might go back to do it again when it is safe to do so.

08-11-2021, 05:30 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
I sold some of my photo because people saw it on my Instagram. Now IG also have an option where you can create an online store and put it on sale in both FB and IG platform. That is one possible way.

Before that, I try sale some of them as a stock photo on Adobe, but they charge me 2/3 of what it sold, and the price is very low. My style is not really fit to be used as a stock photo too.

Later, I don't try to sale my photo unless someone want to buy it and contact me on Instagram directly. BUT I keep showcase my photo on IG to built up followers and use it as a portfolio to host a Photo-walk in Tokyo which create a lot more income in less than a year. A lot more fun meeting people from many professional around the world too. That is another idea to make money via photography without having to sale a photo.
Anyway, COVID stop all of my photowalk activity. Now I switch to do something else which is even easier and earn more ... I feel like I am a cheesy Pyramid scheme salesman! Better stop now. If you wonder, it is online trading in Tokyo stock exchange using part of the money from my photowalk.

I am a kind of miss hosting photowalk. I miss the meeting people part of it. I might go back to do it again when it is safe to do so.
I used to guide clients on canoe trips in Algonquin Park. We haven't had paying client in two years since most of our clients were from overseas. The money was nice, but the people were better.
08-11-2021, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The money was nice, but the people were better.
I couldn't agree more.
08-11-2021, 05:51 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My son has been selling photos on Fine Art America for some time. Fine Art America will print photos on almost anything, beach towels, totes, shower curtains etc., as well as, metal, canvas, etc. Sales seem pretty sporadic. He got interested in photography through storm chasing. He is much better at photography and photo processing than I will ever be. Good luck in finding a site.
08-11-2021, 06:19 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've sold some images on 500px. It used to pay quite well but under their new payment model returns have been rather modest.
08-11-2021, 07:06 PM   #12
Pentaxian

A few art galleries buy my prints and resell them on display. Most of my photography income is generated through the 13 stock agencies selling my photos since 2005 or 2006.
08-11-2021, 10:44 PM   #13

Original Poster
Terrific feedback, thank you everybody.
08-12-2021, 09:38 AM - 5 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rather than online consider local art galleries, gift shops, coffee shops etc.

I have had cards at Timberline Lodge for several years for example. And I just got a check for two metal prints they sold for me on consignment. My first 'big' sale there. But I got in just before COVID so traffic has been low.

I have cards at a local coffee shop, I have been selling on average 30 cards / month there for over 5 years. Probably totals up to more than all my online sales in that time frame.

I am part of a local cooperative gallery. We have 46 artists currently showing. The gallery charges $60 / month and takes 25% and you have to work 2 shifts a month. Even during COVID I have consistently paid the rent and had some left over.

Not to discourage online sales but comparing my local sales to online sales, local wins hands down. Check my website below, it was expensive and time consuming to set up. Sales there do not match the local sales at the coffee shop alone.
08-12-2021, 01:50 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Rather than online consider local art galleries, gift shops, coffee shops etc.

I have had cards at Timberline Lodge for several years for example. And I just got a check for two metal prints they sold for me on consignment. My first 'big' sale there. But I got in just before COVID so traffic has been low.

I have cards at a local coffee shop, I have been selling on average 30 cards / month there for over 5 years. Probably totals up to more than all my online sales in that time frame.

I am part of a local cooperative gallery. We have 46 artists currently showing. The gallery charges $60 / month and takes 25% and you have to work 2 shifts a month. Even during COVID I have consistently paid the rent and had some left over.

Not to discourage online sales but comparing my local sales to online sales, local wins hands down. Check my website below, it was expensive and time consuming to set up. Sales there do not match the local sales at the coffee shop alone.
I think you have the best method. Where I live now there is probably opportunity, but I would have to pursue that and haven't tried yet.